PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Which would be best for my old system?

JMantis
June 13th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Hello Ubuntu community!

I've been a Windows user pretty much all my life and although I've known about Ubuntu and wanted to check it out, I just never got around to it for some reason.

Anyway I recently acquired an old pc from a friend who wasn't using it anymore. I don't know the complete system specs but it's a Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz with 512MB RAM. My first idea was to install Windows XP but I don't have a genuine product key left and I don't want to use an illegal version.

So I've looked around on the Ubuntu website, read up on some documentation and searched the forum a bit and to be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the different distributions available. I've narrowed it down to Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu but I know there are many more around. Keep in mind that I'm pretty much a total Linux newbie so I'd prefer something that isn't too complicated. :)

Which would be best for my old system?

(if you have any other recommendations, please do share, i'm all open to suggestions)

Rasa1111
June 13th, 2011, 03:33 PM
That should run Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 rather nicely.
My fathers PC is a bit slower than yours, also with 512RAM and he runs 10.10 fine.
Lilttle more RAM would really boost things more, but it runs quite nice as it is.
My main desktop PC is also a little slower than yours, and I run Ubuntu 10.10 on it daily with no problems. Only thing faster is the RAM, which is 1 GB.

I would recommend trying Ubuntu first.
Then if you find its not fast enough for you or something, go for Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu.
I dont think youll need to though.

good luck.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
June 13th, 2011, 03:35 PM
go with xubuntu will run just fine it did on my system just like that one just i had 512 more ram but 512 is plenty for xubuntu
torrent:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/11.04/release/xubuntu-11.04-alternate-i386.iso.torrent
iso:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/11.04/release/xubuntu-11.04-alternate-i386.iso
you can burn a cd or use unetbootin from windows
i suggest infrarecorder for burning with windows

compmodder26
June 13th, 2011, 03:35 PM
All would run on that system. However, the better performance would be achieved on Xubuntu or Lubuntu (you didn't mention it, but it is very good and pretty Windows user friendly).

JMantis
June 13th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all the suggestion everyone! :)

nmaster
June 13th, 2011, 04:31 PM
its really great if you mark threads as "SOLVED" when appropriate. in general, this helps other people find solutions to their own problems

JMantis
June 13th, 2011, 04:58 PM
its really great if you mark threads as "SOLVED" when appropriate. in general, this helps other people find solutions to their own problems

Ah sorry did not know that, I'll do that right away.

Jetro
June 13th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Lubuntu is the one I use for our "old" desktop PC (bought in 2006). I installed Ubuntu first, and tried both Xubuntu and Lubuntu. I think Lubuntu is the prettiest and easiest, and also ran just as smooth as Xubuntu (I don't know which one's lighter). There was a significant difference between Ubuntu and Lubuntu/Xubuntu.
Lubuntu was better in the sense that it wasn't so hard to place desktop shortcuts etc, which I found to be a nightmare in Xubuntu.
ANYWAY, I agree with Rasa1111, install Ubuntu first, and then add the desktop managers (not sure if that's the correct term) you would like. :D

I2k4
June 13th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Another vote for Lubuntu over Xubuntu on my netbook, mainly because Lubuntu on Live USB immediately "found" my hard drive while Xubuntu never did. I've found several of the "spin off" versions of Ubuntu 10.10 have been "developmentally challenged" while the plain vanilla Desktop and Lubuntu are really very good. (I don't think the new 11.04 is good for low powered systems, on my experience, in any version.)