PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu hung

mistertransistor
June 13th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I run an oldish Dell PC as a data-acquisition machine. I switched it over from Windows XP to Ubuntu 11.04 a couple of weeks ago. It just runs a small java jar that reads USBserial and writes to a 'travel flash' which is a USB removable-card flash drive.
I've had it running continuously for about a week. I login once or twice a day to check things are OK, and usually stop and start the app. I don't explicitly log out - Ubuntu logs me out and turns off the monitor after a short time (whatever the default is).
This morning when I checked it, it was totally frozen. No response to keyboard or mouse, monitor would not display anything. I had to power off and on. Then it started absolutely normally. The flash drive is almost empty.
I have not had a chance to investigate further as I had to go to work :-( however I'm a relative newbie. Might there be something in the logs that would help identify the problem? Is there a normal diagnostic process in this situation? More generally, should I switch to server rather than desktop?
I'm a bit disappointed as I switched to Ubuntu because Windows XP gets confused after about 72 hours - some odd resource runs out.

Andrew
PS it is running from a solid-state hard disk (IDE connected)