PDA

View Full Version : PeaZip 3.8 [file and archive manager]

Giorgio tani
June 13th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Hi, yesterday it was released PeaZip 3.8, that adds full support for WIM and XZ archives.
Linux versions of the software are available at http://www.peazip.org/peazip-linux.html
Generic DEB is available both compiled for GTK2 widgetset (recommended) and for Qt; alternatively it is posible to use the portable version, that does not need to be installed.

juancarlospaco
June 13th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hi, i was in the past a user of PeaZIP...,
until i discovered that it comes with a non-opensource non-FOSS software
that its Spyware Adware (or highly suspected to be), GPL software dont need that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCandy ---> Here is PeaZIP listed.

I contacted OpenCandy creators asking for release the source of it, they say its Closed-Source.

Giorgio tani
June 13th, 2011, 12:43 PM
OpenCandy is part of Google Ventures, as long as they are good for Google they are good for me.
The advertisers are the very same that can be found advertised on AdSense supported websites (including peazip.org).
Anyway OpenCandy advertising module is for Windows installers only, so you will not found any of their code in the Linux versions, nor in the Portable versions (for Windows and Linux).
There are also Windows installers (32 and 64 bit) marked as "plain" that are released without advretising module if you need to stick to an installer containing only OSI-approved licensed code.

Christmas
June 13th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for this announcement. I've never heard of it before but I'll definitely have a look at it now.

juancarlospaco
June 13th, 2011, 01:40 PM
GPL software dont need that.

Thats the point.

Imagine that all Free Software comes with Spyware/Adware,
you download the Linux kernel and its comes with Yahoo Toolbar,
you download the GNU userland and its comes with Norton AV Trial,
and so on... here are the plains (http://code.google.com/p/peazip/downloads/list?can=2&q=plain&colspec=Filename+Summary+Uploaded+ReleaseDate+Size +DownloadCount) ...but still dont agree the methods.

Giorgio tani
June 13th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Please note that all versions for Linux are free of any code not released under OSI approved licenses, as well as Portable and Plain versions for Windows.
Ads (on website, Windows installers, or else) are no more nor less one more way to support the project's growth alongside donations and direct user's contribution (code, feedback, betatest, etc - certainly the most important kind of contribution), not something "against" users.
Any "flavor" of the application at least has an official ad-free binary form, and obviuosly the whole point in being the project Open Source is that anyone can compile, port, modify, study, re-use etc... any single line of code in the sources without being in any way limited by the way the official binary is distributed.

BrokenKingpin
June 14th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I have been using 7Zip for years and is probably the best compression utility out there (Windows and Linux). It is free and open source as well.