PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.04 slow

hexwind
June 13th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Hello guys, I tried to install Ubuntu 11.04 like few weeks ago, but it was running too slow although my hardware fitted the minimal requirements listed in the Ubuntu website. Is it just my computer or everyone is experiencing the same thing? how do i get it to work fast especially that I will use Netbeans/Eclipse + web browsing + music all the time and i don't want it to be slow. I'm currently using the 9.10 version and it's no longer supported so i have to immigrate to the latest version.
I have Pentium 4 3.2GHz and 1GB RAM

Herman
June 13th, 2011, 12:10 PM
You should notice a performance difference if you select your session at log in as 'Ubuntu Classic (No Effects)'.
If you go 'System', 'Administration', 'login screen', you can set that as your default session.

CyberMatrix
June 13th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Yes due heavy graphics user interface in new ubuntu 11.04 it is feel bit heavy and also lacks response time.
My config is
AMD phenom II X4 3.4 Ghz
4GB DDR3
Of course Nvidia 8400gs graphics card
M4A88TM mother board of asus

still i can also feel the difference performance i like the old Ubuntu 10.10 maverick
very good or use 10.4 LTS

If you are using 11.04 i suggest you also to change back classical Ubuntu style this way not only your performance will be back.

Ubuntu 11.04 Natty uses Unity as default desktop environment, but this by no means the classic Gnome 2 desktop has been discarded. If you prefer this classic gnome desktop, you can do follow steps:
1.) At Ubuntu 11.04 login screen, choose login to “ubuntu classic”.
2.) Right click on “main menu”, “global menu” at top left screen and uncheck “lock to panel”, then select to “remove from panel”
3.) Right click on top panel, choose “add to panel” and then add “menu bar”.
Now you’re in Ubuntu 11.04 with classic gnome desktop!