PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Skydome background image faded/low contrast

Flash858
June 13th, 2011, 01:16 AM
So, I have noticed on a couple of the newer installs I have done, that the Skydome image is faded. It appears to have about 35% lower contrast than it should. I always use the same one, I have compared it to the local file, I am a professional photographer, so I can say it has nothing to do with the image itself, but rather it is some hidden setting somewhere, as I have tried cranking up the image's native contrast, and nothing changes.

This happened before, and in the course of normal compiz tweaking, it went away, but I would like to figure out where that is, as CCSM has so many settings, and it may not even be a compiz setting, but rather a system setting. I just do not know.

Anyone who knows, I would appreciate a heads up.

wildmanne39
June 13th, 2011, 02:33 AM
So, I have noticed on a couple of the newer installs I have done, that the Skydome image is faded. It appears to have about 35% lower contrast than it should. I always use the same one, I have compared it to the local file, I am a professional photographer, so I can say it has nothing to do with the image itself, but rather it is some hidden setting somewhere, as I have tried cranking up the image's native contrast, and nothing changes.

This happened before, and in the course of normal compiz tweaking, it went away, but I would like to figure out where that is, as CCSM has so many settings, and it may not even be a compiz setting, but rather a system setting. I just do not know.

Anyone who knows, I would appreciate a heads up.
Hi, have you checked the transparent settings in ccsm?

Flash858
June 13th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I have, but unless there is one I do not know about, those are for the cube/Cylinder/Sphere, and not the background.

Also, I neglected to mention it is an Nvidia GT430 card, and the 270 driver. It has happened on 32 and 64 bit installs (AMD chip),on 4 or 5 distros, so I am convinced it is a setting/configuration I just need to find.

Thanks!

wildmanne39
June 13th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I have, but unless there is one I do not know about, those are for the cube/Cylinder/Sphere, and not the background.

Also, I neglected to mention it is an Nvidia GT430 card, and the 270 driver. It has happened on 32 and 64 bit installs (AMD chip),on 4 or 5 distros, so I am convinced it is a setting/configuration I just need to find.

Thanks!
Hi ok. just so you know the 270 drivers causes problems like slowness in the system, white windows sometimes I use the older driver and it works great with the cube and effects, if you are not having any problems dont worry about it, maybe it just does not like my card.

Flash858
June 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will roll back to the 260 driver and see what happens.

wildmanne39
June 23rd, 2011, 08:43 AM
Hi, post back and let us know.

Flash858
July 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Well, I tried updating, downgrading, and installed Nvidia drivers from 260 to 275 as well as the 2 that were available in the repositories, and no help.

I am back to thinking is is some seemingly innocuous setting somewhere that I will likely accidentally change someday, and all of a sudden it will be fine...

LOL...