PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Side Bar Icons

rancid98
June 13th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I installed the 11.04 upgrade some time ago, but I had all sorts of problems with my Nvidia card. I read for about a month, and finally today, I obviously got it fixed because I got a fright when I rebooted - I couldn't find anything. A bit of exploration showed me everything was available, just a little hard at first to find. One problem I have which I can't fix is that the quicklaunch buttons down the left side of the screen cannot be seen. I hover the mouse there and the name shows up, but it is basically blank. Is there a setting I have missed, or some thread I have not been able to locate dealing with this? My apologies if I have missed something, but I have spent an hour or so this morning looking for an answer and have been unsuccessful. Thanks for any assistance.

Frogs Hair
June 13th, 2011, 01:32 AM
To reset the panel to defaults try the code , but you will have to add your applications again . What you describe is strange and I don't know if this is a solution.
unity --reset-icons

rancid98
June 13th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Thanks, I think I don't have the driver set up properly yet - I tried that and the screen flipped upside down and the PC froze. I reboot now and it freezes at the Ubuntu splash screen. I'm running in failsafe mode at the moment. One lesson learned is that if I ever buy another PC, it will not have an Nvidia card in it - nothing but problems. I will try uninstalling the drivers again and see where I end up. Cheers

rancid98
June 13th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Thanks again. Have it booting again, but no Unity once again. Was good to get a bit of a look at it though.