PDA

View Full Version : A efficient SQL way to do this?

sefs
June 13th, 2011, 12:51 AM
I have a table that looks like this

FLD1 FLD2 FLD3
---------------
val1 val2 val3
val1 val3 val2
val1 val2 val4
val1 val3 val4

I only want to select distinct rows.
Looking at the table above there are no duplicate rows in the strictest sense.

In my case though I want identify a duplicate row as a row that contains the same values but not necessarily do they have to be equal column for column

Hence I want to identify row1, and row2 above as a duplicate of each other.

Is there a sql statement I can use to filter out duplicate rows when I define it like that?

Thanks.

JupiterV2
June 13th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Your first weapon as a programmer is a search engine. A simple search for "select distinct multiple columns" got me many hits. The first one I think can help you: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/54418/how-do-i-or-can-i-select-distinct-on-multiple-columns-postgresql.

Petrolea
June 13th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Your first weapon as a programmer is a search engine. A simple search for "select distinct multiple columns" got me many hits. The first one I think can help you: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/54418/how-do-i-or-can-i-select-distinct-on-multiple-columns-postgresql.

I agree. And word 'distinct' actually exists in SQL.

PaulM1985
June 13th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Although I agree with the idea of using search engines, the "select distinct" is not going to work in this case because the OP also wants to be able to re-order the columns for matches, (see the part where row 1 and row 2 are to be considered as duplicates).

Have you any extra information about what types your valX are? varchar, ints, etc...

Paul

r-senior
June 13th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Although I agree with the idea of using search engines, the "select distinct" is not going to work in this case
+1

Tricky one. My first thought was to concatenate string representations of the columns, sort the characters and then select distinct:

val1 val2 val3 -> 123aaalllvvv
val1 val3 val2 -> 123aaalllvvv
val1 val2 val4 -> 124aaalllvvv
val1 val3 val4 -> 134aaalllvvv

But that doesn't work if there are anagrams of values:

val1 val2 val3 -> 123aaalllvvv
val1 val3 val2 -> 123aaalllvvv
val1 alv3 alv2 -> 123aaalllvvv (missing row)
val1 val2 val4 -> 124aaalllvvv
val1 val3 val4 -> 134aaalllvvv

So you'd have to treat the column values as tokens, sort the tokens without disturbing their individual letters and select distinct on that result.

Paul's question about data types is an important one I think.

roccivic
June 14th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Databases are not supposed to be able to do cross columns ordering. If you find yourself in a situation where you have to, it's probably because you made a design error at some earlier stage. That said, if you really want to, you can sort by columns, concatenate and select distinct. But that does not fit well with the title of this thread, which includes the word "efficient". It will be everything, but efficient. For an example of a cross-column sort, see here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2814244/best-way-to-sort-n-concatenate-5-columns

Maheriano
June 14th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Do a select on each column so you have 3 separate record sets, but do each SQL query as not in the next.

For example, something like:
select column1 from tablename as value1 where value1 not in (select column2 from tablename as value2)