PDA

View Full Version : New website in development stages.

DirtyPC
June 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Hello all.
Decided to put all my how'tos and help from various blog's onto a website.
Its in development but feel free to create an account on there and say hi on the forum! I need a head count on whether i should buy the domain. Linuxdistrohelp.com

You can see it in my sig. Thanks.

DirtyPC
June 12th, 2011, 03:47 PM
new user! Haha, brilliant :D

If anyone wants to be an admin on the site, create an account on the site and mail me saying why you want to do so. total of 4! thanks.

elliotbeken
June 12th, 2011, 05:07 PM
is the site still up?

DirtyPC
June 12th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Yes it is :)

elliotbeken
June 12th, 2011, 05:56 PM
made an account and yes buy the domain before someone else does.

i guess you have hosting but if not contact me ...

DirtyPC
June 12th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I do not have hosting (Yet) But i'll do it next saturday, did you want to become an admin?

DirtyPC
June 12th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Sorry :P I DO have hosting, but I haven't got my domain (yet) Moonfruit is my host

elliotbeken
June 12th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I do not have hosting (Yet) But i'll do it next saturday, did you want to become an admin?

yes i would like to be admin thanks

sanderd17
June 12th, 2011, 06:43 PM
If you want to make some content, do buy that domain.

The website looks good and clean (I don't quite like dark websites, but that's a personal thing). But I have two things that could be done better:

Every thread on the forum has the same URL, that means that the back button doesn't work. Please give each thread a separate URL
In the forum, there is a scroll function for longer posts, but it doesn't work like standard scroll windows (I can't use my scroll wheel).

Apart from those two things, it is really good.

DirtyPC
June 12th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the tips,
+ and you are now admin

DirtyPC
June 12th, 2011, 07:07 PM
If you want to make some content, do buy that domain.

The website looks good and clean (I don't quite like dark websites, but that's a personal thing). But I have two things that could be done better:

Every thread on the forum has the same URL, that means that the back button doesn't work. Please give each thread a separate URL
In the forum, there is a scroll function for longer posts, but it doesn't work like standard scroll windows (I can't use my scroll wheel).

Apart from those two things, it is really good.
Also what colour do you recommend for bg?

manzdagratiano
June 13th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Great effort on your part... May I also request you to filter some Ubuntu specific information into the Ubuntu community documentation as you go along? I am trying for a massive overhaul of the Ubuntu help pages, and all the help possible is needed!

DirtyPC
June 13th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Sure! And thanks!

-We now have 1 space left for admin

madjr
June 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
i suggest you dont use a flash website, they are bit annoying, some users may not see it because they dont have the plugin and they dont get indexed well at google (if at all...)

markp1989
June 13th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Hello all.
Decided to put all my how'tos and help from various blog's onto a website.
Its in development but feel free to create an account on there and say hi on the forum! I need a head count on whether i should buy the domain. Linuxdistrohelp.com

You can see it in my sig. Thanks.

looks pretty nice, although I don't really like it when websites are flash based.

Paqman
June 13th, 2011, 03:14 PM
"Tutorial and HowTos", not "Tutorial's and HowTo's"

[/apostrophe nazi]

DirtyPC
June 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM
@markp1989, My host only allows me to have a flash based website.
@Paqman that's getting changed soon anyway ;D

koenn
June 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I'll refrain from comments a la "yet another linux "help" site with no content" or "yet another futile attempt to consolidate linux documentation", and limit myself to a bit of design comments:

you really need to think about colors, contrast, and foreground/background.

In your nav bar, active/mouse-over links practically disappear, and in your 'about' page, the bulk of the text is impossible to read.
You should pay attention to stuff like that, if you don't want your site to come across as saying "I have a web site but I haven't got a clue".

Zero2Nine
June 13th, 2011, 04:20 PM
You need to drop Flash, especially for a Linux audience. Many Linux users will have no flash plugin installed.

jeffathehutt
June 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Another big problem with flash websites is that the search engines cannot index them, so no matter how good your site is, no one will ever be able to find it unless you direct them to it. Since your host only allows flash web sites, I recommend a new host.

DirtyPC
June 13th, 2011, 06:09 PM
And with the 'mouse over part' that doesn't really matter because the person knows what link they've clicked on?
-And with the 2nd part it was originally red i don't know why its done that

Petrolea
June 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
And with the 'mouse over part' that doesn't really matter because the person knows what link they've clicked on?
-And with the 2nd part it was originally red i don't know why its done that

It DOES matter, design is important, even details are! And try to apply the changes people here recommend you, they will only make your site better.

But I'd also say: just another help site.

Think about it, there are tons of them. Hope yours will somehow be better and people will like it and use it.

DirtyPC
June 13th, 2011, 06:18 PM
It DOES matter, design is important, even details are! And try to apply the changes people here recommend you, they will only make your site better.

But I'd also say: just another help site.

Think about it, there are tons of them. Hope yours will somehow be better and people will like it and use it.
I HAVE applied the changes people have suggested.

elliotbeken
June 13th, 2011, 06:19 PM
i guess you are using a site builder to make this site ?

DirtyPC
June 13th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Yes, I wanted something more professional than just using HTML coding

Petrolea
June 13th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I HAVE applied the changes people have suggested.

No you HAVE NOT. Ok enough of editing :P.

As far as I can see, links are still the same, so navigating on forums is incredibly annoying, site is still built in flash, links are still hardly visible...

I know site is up for only 1 day, so I hope you will have fun creating it and that you'll also learn something :)

DirtyPC
June 13th, 2011, 06:26 PM
* spelling error corrected
* background changed
* link fixed
* Regarding the flash based website, re doing that within in a couple of hours seems rather laborious don't you think? And I am working on it now.

elliotbeken
June 13th, 2011, 06:27 PM
its all good intill you need to move/change your hosting provider. i know some make it hard for you to move the site to new hosting if they let you at all !

DirtyPC
June 13th, 2011, 06:29 PM
is joomla flash based elliot?

elliotbeken
June 13th, 2011, 06:32 PM
it can be what you like if you make it. i think you should try something like joomla/wordpress. i can give you access for you to have a play with...

also if anyone else would like to have a play with the common CMS packages like joomla, wordpress etc just contact me.

DirtyPC
June 13th, 2011, 08:35 PM
New Host, new site needs developing. NON FLASH BASED. Will be up within the week

scouser73
June 14th, 2011, 07:52 PM
New Host, new site needs developing. NON FLASH BASED. Will be up within the week

I thought that the flash based version of your site look brilliant.

timZZ
June 14th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Having success?

DirtyPC
June 14th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Other seemed to disagree

timZZ
June 14th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Users love to offer criticism ... Lesson #1: Can't please everyone .. If you have a worth while service people will jump to it. Let's face it ... people are here because this forum offers a valuable service ... it isn't magic and it took years to get to this stage.

markp1989
June 15th, 2011, 08:00 AM

the flash site did look very good although, I was one of the people who advised against flash based websites, as the flash player for linux isn't very good imo, seems to use more processing power than it needs to. Also some Linux users refuse to have the flash player on their systems so it could limit the audience.

@OP: looking forward to seeing the new webpage, keep us updated :)

DirtyPC
June 15th, 2011, 09:37 AM
the flash site did look very good although, I was one of the people who advised against flash based websites, as the flash player for linux isn't very good imo, seems to use more processing power than it needs to. Also some Linux users refuse to have the flash player on their systems so it could limit the audience.

@OP: looking forward to seeing the new webpage, keep us updated :)
i know :)

And will do

DirtyPC
June 15th, 2011, 09:53 AM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/LinuxDistroHelp/104870052939609

;D

DirtyPC
June 15th, 2011, 10:07 AM
There is now a login/join section. Would be helpful if people registered, just to test it and what not :)

Zero2Nine
June 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Other seemed to disagree

It looks better now imo. But compatibility (especially with your target audience) is way more important than looks to me. So you did a good job. Now it's all about the content.

DirtyPC
June 15th, 2011, 10:43 AM
It looks better now imo. But compatibility (especially with your target audience) is way more important than looks to me. So you did a good job. Now it's all about the content.
I'm builing up content into a little bundle as i go, my first priority is making sure the site functions properly, and my domain is up and running

DirtyPC
June 15th, 2011, 04:00 PM
http://harrylucas.elliotbeken.com/index.php/forum/2-welcome-mat/3-welcome#3

The forums are all set up! Create an account and get your avatar and sig/info all set up :D

Finally light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks to all the support and encouragement, still a long way yet though!

scouser73
June 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I've registered but it's not letting me log in.

DirtyPC
June 15th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I've registered but it's not letting me log in.
everyone seemed to fine? Hmm

DirtyPC
June 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM
everyone seemed to fine? Hmm
try now

DirtyPC
June 15th, 2011, 07:44 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/k55w8p.png

:O

DirtyPC
June 15th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Thats amazing for one day! :O

elliotbeken
June 15th, 2011, 07:47 PM
some if not most of those will be bots !

elliotbeken
June 15th, 2011, 07:49 PM
some if not most of those will be bots !

i have a little look :P few bots and rest are real !!

DirtyPC
June 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
The websites gone out with a fantastic response! :D
Thankyou everyone

DirtyPC
June 15th, 2011, 11:45 PM
there may be a few dead links on the site for a bit.

DirtyPC
June 16th, 2011, 02:42 PM
-bump-

lets keep the users coming in :)

DirtyPC
June 16th, 2011, 10:15 PM
What's everyones opinion on the sites theme?