PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] question about Ubuntu server

Old Jimma
June 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Hi Ubuntu Community:

I'm building my first computer and am wondering whether I should make it a server.

The purpose of the machine is to serve as the primary machine in my home for:

recording OTA HD TV programs for my wife, and playing them for her on demand,
being the repository of my growing jazz music collection,
storing all important family documents like pictures, tax return, receipts, etc,
being the machine that will record video images with surveillance cameras (I don't know if Ubuntu has software to do this... this is just a "hope Ubuntu can do it item".

My question is: should I install Ubuntu server?

Thanks,
Phil

VOT Productions
June 12th, 2011, 12:52 PM
You'll be better off Mythbuntu (http://www.mythbuntu.org/)
You can use the 1st as well as the others.
For support, use (http://www.mythbuntu.org/support)

An Sanct
June 12th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Hi Ubuntu Community:

I'm building my first computer and am wondering whether I should make it a server.

The purpose of the machine is to serve as the primary machine in my home for:

recording OTA HD TV programs for my wife, and playing them for her on demand,
being the repository of my growing jazz music collection,
storing all important family documents like pictures, tax return, receipts, etc,
being the machine that will record video images with surveillance cameras (I don't know if Ubuntu has software to do this... this is just a "hope Ubuntu can do it item".

My question is: should I install Ubuntu server?

Thanks,
Phil

Is there a need for it to be the "server" edition? I see no special reason not to use the default desktop (it can be "headless" too...)

JKyleOKC
June 12th, 2011, 04:15 PM
The server edition has only the command line interface, no GUI at all, so it would not itself be able to display the stored TV programs. It could feed them to another box, however.

You could, of course, install one of the several desktop packages to provide the GUI, but the desktop package would not have the longer support life of the server, so you would have little advantage. The "server optimization" in the server edition is geared for support of multiple users and offers little in a typical home installation.

To handle all four of your stated desires, one of the many desktop versions would be a better choice.

Old Jimma
June 12th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Many thanks for all of your wise replies!

Sincerely,
Phil Smith
Duluth, GA

cap10Ibraim
June 12th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I would install ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10
servers are the applications ,
you will need samba server , and maybe ftp , if you got ip cameras
share your experience