PDA

View Full Version : Some Fun, naming Ubuntu comps :)

dava4444
June 12th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Hi

this just a light hearted go at Ubuntu comp names, please add to the list or correct me if i get it wrong lol :D

TuxBook = dual core laptop 2GB upwards Ubuntu OS

TuxPro = quad core desktop 4GB upwards Ubuntu OS

TuxMini = dual core desktop 2GB upwards Ubuntu OS

Tux = single core desktop 1GB upwards Ubuntu OS

luTux = single core laptop 512MB upwards Lubuntu OS

watcha think? I do so like naming things lolol

peace

Dava

mickbuntu
June 13th, 2011, 09:05 AM
My ubuntu is lizintu name!

Brian0312
June 13th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I call my network Abraham_Linksys which I shamelessly ripped off of The Onion although no one knows it because I hide the SSID. I call my computer The_Unit.

Bart_D
June 13th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Hi

this just a light hearted go at Ubuntu comp names, please add to the list or correct me if i get it wrong lol :D

TuxBook = dual core laptop 2GB upwards Ubuntu OS

TuxPro = quad core desktop 4GB upwards Ubuntu OS

TuxMini = dual core desktop 2GB upwards Ubuntu OS

Tux = single core desktop 1GB upwards Ubuntu OS

luTux = single core laptop 512MB upwards Lubuntu OS

watcha think? I do so like naming things lolol

peace

Dava

What do you do with so many PCs in one house? Do you use even half of them daily?

pricetech
June 13th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I used to have an "Adams Family" naming convention. "Lurch" was the server, "Thing" was the laptop, etc.

We had a "3 Stooges" naming convention for our small server / client network in the classroom when I was in school.

I know of a training center where the computers all have city names.

A lot of geeks name their computers according to their favorite book or television show.

Workbenches here at work are named after the planets.

All in fun of course.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
June 14th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I'm gonna start naming all of my computers after Transformers. When I say transformers I don't mean the lame new age Transformers, I mean the epic cartoon from the 80's :)

cgroza
June 14th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I call mine THE BASE!

vehemoth
June 14th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I'm not very creative, I name mine after the cpu and sometimes the mobo

tulipán
June 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM
i now realize how much more creative i could've been! thx for all the ideas ;)

ve4cib
June 14th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I think we're veering off-topic from what the OP wanted to discuss, but I'll follow the trend anyway...

Lately I've been using science fiction character names for my computers and network drives:

Marvin, after the robot in HHG (It's depressed since it's still running XP)
Eddie, for the shipboard computer on the Heart of Gold in HHG
HAL-9000, after the computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey (Later renamed Tosh after a reformat)
Gort, after the robot in The Day the Earth Stood Still
Robby, for Robby the Robot in Forbidden Planet
Tosh, after Toshiko Sato on Torchwood (Tosh is also a Toahiba laptop coincidentally)
Seldon, for Hari Seldon in Asimov's Foundation trilogy

And the three exceptions to the sci-fi character naming convention, named for sci-fi props instead:

PADD, my cell phone, after the devices on Star Trek
LCARS, after the main computer system on the Enterprise in Star Trek
Ubik, after the magic aerosol spray in Philip K ****'s novel, Ubik

Legendary_Bibo
June 14th, 2011, 10:49 AM
My phat laptop - bibos-computer

My smaller laptop - lappy

Copper Bezel
June 14th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I'm gonna start naming all of my computers after Transformers. When I say transformers I don't mean the lame new age Transformers, I mean the epic cartoon from the 80's

You know they're the same names, right? = )

I don't have a theme. I've named machines based loosely on brand marks before (Azzi [Asimov] for an Acer and Toby [October] for a Toshiba.) My Eee is named for a minor character in a Regina Spektor song, Sophie (who "only wants to listen to radio BBC," and admittedly, she does get used for a lot of internet radio.)

WRDN
June 14th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Only got a single machine but dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04. Depending on which is booted, the machine is named:

wGabriel - Windows 7
uGabriel - Ubuntu 11.04

Spr0k3t
June 14th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I'm gonna start naming all of my computers after Transformers. When I say transformers I don't mean the lame new age Transformers, I mean the epic cartoon from the 80's :)

Funny thing that... I was planning on starting a therapy group for computers named Soundwave or Perceptor.

dava4444
June 26th, 2011, 10:14 AM
LOL

thanks guys :)

not what i meant but i'm smiling :)

i meant as a rival to Mac but cool :D

Dava

Kromgol
June 26th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I'm not running specifically Ubuntu, but i usually name after greek mythology.

My desktop is Cerberus, my server is Chimaera and my other homeserver is Pegasus.

haqking
June 26th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I'm not running specifically Ubuntu, but i usually name after greek mythology.

My desktop is Cerberus, my server is Chimaera and my other homeserver is Pegasus.

actually Kerberos would be greek, cerberus is a latin version of Kerberos ;-)

not that it matters but all those names are latin versions of the greek but im feeling pedantic this morning LOL ;-)

mind you you did say from Greek mythology and not that the names themselves were greek

Kromgol
June 26th, 2011, 01:04 PM
actually Kerberos would be greek, cerberus is a latin version of Kerberos ;-)

not that it matters but all those names are latin versions of the greek but im feeling pedantic this morning LOL ;-)

mind you you did say from Greek mythology and not that the names themselves were greek

Really? I didn't know :D

Though i must say that the latin equivalents does sound better. Pegasus > Pegasos imo :P