PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04, what did happen to my desktop?

kenny_lex
June 12th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I had 10.04 and did a upgrade to 10.10, after that Ubuntu found 11.04 and I did upgrade to it, but I do not like the Desktop/GUI and do want to go back to 10.04 look.

Now I do not see any top bar with drop-down menu, nor do I see places or any other menu alternatives, I also miss the bottom bar that did show active programs.

The new bar to the left is neat and the new way program do maximize is also neat, but it do not work well with the Second Life viwer Phoenix.

I had Gnome, so can any point me to help how to going back to a more classic Gnome desktop?

koma77
June 12th, 2011, 11:11 AM
At the login screen, after you have entered your user name you can select "Ubuntu Classic" from the session type menu.

kenny_lex
June 12th, 2011, 12:07 PM
OMG I am so nooby just now, I do not get the log in screen and therefor did not see it, I gotta turn on it again for security and usability.

Btw, thnx.

MARP1961
June 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
No need to change your automatic logon. If you need, you can always get to the login screen by going to the shutdown button next to your name.'Logout' is one of the menu options. Click your name on the logon screen and select what desktop/GUI you would like to use. You can also experiment with other desktop styles such as KDE or XFCE (if you install them).