PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] my internet download speed is slow?

noobda
June 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM
which is best downloader in linux?
i was having internet download manager in win xp
and it use to give me abt 2.6 max download speed
and in linux im getting slow..
i tried downloadthemall firefox plugin and still its giving me abt 1.7 max speed
when i try to download itunes its giving me 2.4 mp without downloadthemall.

is there ny better downloader for linux or do i have to change some setting to boost ma net speed?

thanks in advance

Gone fishing
June 12th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I've always used Gwget however multiGet might be what you are looking for.

But 2.4 Mp/s I dream of those kind of speeds :(

VOT Productions
June 12th, 2011, 11:18 AM
DownloadThemAll! for Firefox.

|{urse
November 17th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Installing a "good" antivirus isnt going to increase your download speed on linux. Deactivating software upgrades isnt going to help at all either.

Call your isp and complain that your net is slow, walk through the steps with them to reset your router and they will possibly clean up your lines if necessary.

You may also want to search around the forums and google for specific details about your network card, there may always be a better driver solution available.

Make sure you set a password for your wireless (if you have wireless) others may be using your wifi thus slowing it to a crawl.

Mark Phelps
November 17th, 2011, 08:35 PM
This keeps coming up ... so we need to get the TRUTH out to folks ...

There is really NO WAY to significantly increase your "internet speed".

While it's true that there are minor tweaks (i.e., setting MTU size) that may bring about a very minor improvement -- there is no "miracle cure" for slow Internet.

Your actual internet "speed" is governed by the following:
1) Speed cap enforced on you by the ISP. For example, if you bought a 15Mb/sec plan, there is NOTHING you can do to go any faster than that.
2) Load on the network infrastructure you use to access the Internet. Cable systems are infamous for this. Watch the difference in response you get at 3:30 AM verses the response you get at 7:30 PM.
3) Load on the server of the Website you're accessing. This is readily demonstrated by making the mistake of trying to download the latest Ubuntu version the same day it comes out. Wait a day (or two) and your download speed can easily be 10x the speed it was on release day.

So, with the possible exception of fixing faulty network card drivers, anyone that tells you installing any software will significantly increase your Internet speed, is misleading you.

CharlesA
November 17th, 2011, 08:38 PM
+1 to Mark.

I suppose it mostly comes from the Windows mindset where the machines slow down when they got malware on them.

I know I've seen commercials for services that "speed up your pc" for a fee but IMHO they are a total crock.