PDA

View Full Version : Bugs ruin good ideas :(

Legendary_Bibo
June 12th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I wanted to utilize the corners of my desktop by using the edge bindings in compiz. So I wanted to use the bottom left to open up Gnomenu. Gnomenu lets you bind keys to it, and then I used xte (fakes keyboard presses)for the edge binding and voila! It worked, however there was one slight issue. If I closed the menu by clicking off of it with the mouse, or started an application from it, it didn't count that as a press from the binded button. I've been bugging with xte for the past hour and it turns out it has to do with gnomenu.

So it semi works how I want it to.

Basically what happens is it'll open with the mouse hover and if I close it with a mouse hover to the corner again it'll open on one hover again just fine, but if I open an application or close it by clicking off the menu like its normal behavior, I have to hit the corner twice for it to open again.

swoll1980
June 12th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I wanted to utilize the corners of my desktop by using the edge bindings in compiz. So I wanted to use the bottom left to open up Gnomenu. Gnomenu lets you bind keys to it, and then I used xte (fakes keyboard presses)for the edge binding and voila! It worked, however there was one slight issue. If I closed the menu by clicking off of it with the mouse, or started an application from it, it didn't count that as a press from the binded button. I've been bugging with xte for the past hour and it turns out it has to do with gnomenu.

So it semi works how I want it to.

Basically what happens is it'll open with the mouse hover and if I close it with a mouse hover to the corner again it'll open on one hover again just fine, but if I open an application or close it by clicking off the menu like its normal behavior, I have to hit the corner twice for it to open again.

Everything I try to do with any OS ends up this way. Rule #1 when your dealing with software is you can't be more creative than the guy that wrote it, or it will just fail.

I run into problems like this all the time. Basically what it boils down to is, did the guy that wrote the software ever think the way you're thinking? The answer always seems to be no. Therefore you end up borking it.

June 12th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Everything I try to do with any OS ends up this way. Rule #1 when your dealing with software is you can't be more creative than the guy that wrote it, or it will just fail.

I run into problems like this all the time. Basically what it boils down to is, did the guy that wrote the software ever think the way you're thinking? The answer always seems to be no. Therefore you end up borking it.

I don't agree....

File a bug report!

swoll1980
June 12th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I don't agree....

File a bug report!

You don't agree with what; that software borks all the time? You don't run into problems when you try to be creative? I would also file a bug report. Just saying it's not uncommon to figure out a cool way to utilize your software, only to find out that the person that wrote it never seen it coming, therefor it fails.

June 12th, 2011, 06:03 AM
You don't agree with what; that software borks all the time? You don't run into problems when you try to be creative? I would also file a bug report. Just saying it's not uncommon to figure out a cool way to utilize your software, only to find out that the person that wrote it never seen it coming, therefor it fails.

No not really, anything Ive told ubuntu to do (as of 10.04 anyway) has worked. Perfectly might I add. I have everything set up exatly as I want, the few problems I did have in 9.10, I filed reports for and were fixed in a matter of weeks.

I'm not saying your wrong, just saying in my experience, I don't agree.

Legendary_Bibo
June 12th, 2011, 11:01 PM
It's already a filed bug report, but I think the person who filed it didn't express what the bug really was correctly.