PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Minimize windows problem

garagestmarien
June 12th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I have just recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 gnome and everything seems fine.
I can't use compiz or unity, I have the problem of nvidia card being installed but not active and understand there is some sort of bug, that I will wait to be sorted. I hope there will be an update or simple fix in the near future.
I haven't had compiz or unity before, so actually I'm not missing anything.
But, I have set my bottom panel to the left and added applications to it and everything works really well and looks how I would like it.
But, I do have one problem.
When I minimize a window it dissapears the same as if I closed it. I have icons on the side panel and have had them on the top panel also, but once I minimize a window there is no showing of it anywhere. Any (left or top) set of icons I pick just opens the window as a fresh one.
Maybe I've set something wrong.
Any advice please would be appreciated.

Frogs Hair
June 12th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Right click the bottom panel , select add to panel and add window list.

christoph411
June 12th, 2011, 12:50 AM
If you are still interested in using unity, but don't have any 3D acceleration available, you should try unity 2D! Unity 2D is almost exactly the same as unity 3D, but with a few less "bells and whistles" (so to speak :p )
Just search "unity 2D" in the software center, install it, and once it's done installing, log out, and on the bottom bar in the login screen choose "Ubuntu 2D" , log back in and your enjoying unity 2D! :D
(please note, that unity 2D may not be as complete as unity 3D in some aspects, at least for now!) :popcorn:

garagestmarien
June 12th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Thanks very much, this has solved my problem and also found 9 hidden firefox windows!!!
No wonder things were getting a bit slow.

@christoph411
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

christoph411
June 12th, 2011, 12:59 AM
@christoph411

Yup! If you need any help or clarification on my directions, just give me a shout. :)

garagestmarien
June 12th, 2011, 01:07 AM
I have installed it and it's great!
It has also solved my minimize problem.
So thanks for all the advice.:p

Frogs Hair
June 12th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Thanks very much, this has solved my problem and also found 9 hidden firefox windows!!!
No wonder things were getting a bit slow.

@christoph411

I suspect your memory use was just a bit high . :p

christoph411
June 12th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I have installed it and it's great!
It has also solved my minimize problem.
So thanks for all the advice.:p

Glad to hear that you like it! Like I said, it may not be quite as complete as unity 3D yet, but it definitely will be by 11.10! In 11.10, unity 2D is going to replace the "classic" option that you were previously using, so people without 3D can still enjoy unity.

Enjoy! :popcorn: