PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Minimal install hangs

markmb
June 11th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Hello everybody!

I've been all day figthing with an old computer because I want to install an Ubuntu distro on it. I read a lot, and I chose Lubuntu through minimal installation.

I've got the installer on a CD, and it executes properly. The problem is that, wheh I chose Command-line Install, it hangs.

At first, I thought it was "normal", but I waited for half an hour and it doesn't move. As well as this, I tried on VirtualBOX, with approximately the same configuration, and it sometimes hang with a low memory error.

The computer has 8Gb HDD and 200 Mb RAM. Please help me!!!

Thank you in advance

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 12th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Hello everybody!

I've been all day figthing with an old computer because I want to install an Ubuntu distro on it. I read a lot, and I chose Lubuntu through minimal installation.

I've got the installer on a CD, and it executes properly. The problem is that, wheh I chose Command-line Install, it hangs.

At first, I thought it was "normal", but I waited for half an hour and it doesn't move. As well as this, I tried on VirtualBOX, with approximately the same configuration, and it sometimes hang with a low memory error.

The computer has 8Gb HDD and 200 Mb RAM. Please help me!!!

Thank you in advance

Try using an alternative installation cd of Ubuntu 10.10. Do exactly the same thing you did to install it before.

markmb
June 12th, 2011, 08:30 AM
This is the first time I try to install Ubuntu :D

I tried with a Xubuntu 11.04 Alternate CD because I had it downloaded, and it shows me an error:

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: cmov
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropiate for your CPU

I'll try to download version 10.10 as you say.

markmb
June 12th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I tried with 10.10 and it shows the same error

I'll try with 10.04.

I'm desmotivating...:cry::-(

markmb
June 13th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I'm so stupid.... :lolflag:
I didn't try the easiest thing: with minimal in Ubuntu's 10.04 version!

That was the problem!

I've got now problems with GRUB, but I think I'll be able to solve them

Thank you very much