PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can we downgrade from Ubuntu 11.x back to stable Ubuntu 10.x

adanac1
June 11th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I have recently upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 to version 11.x
Linux HP-desktop 2.6.38-8-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:50 UTC 2011 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

I must say that this new version sucks bigs time. My system is now crawling instead of flying.

I would like to know if anyone has successfully downgraded from this hog? or am I going to have to do a fresh installation?

dabl
June 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
There has never been, AFAIK, an included means to perform a version downgrade of *buntu. Of course there are such things as clonezilla that you can use to make a partition image, before you do the deed. But afterwards .... :rolleyes:

Have you made any investigation into the causes of slow performance? top should show what is hogging the resources.

athenroy
June 11th, 2011, 09:52 PM
If you have 11.04, when you click on your name to log in, look in the center of the lower bar and see if you can get a Ubuntu Classic mode, than log in. That will give you the standard Gnome 2 desktop. If you have 11.10, you may be stuck with it! Also I have a post under the "Other Distros" section that may interest you!

walt.smith1960
June 11th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I wonder if you could install a lighter desktop environment like XFCE which is well regarded by many here. Lubuntu performs reasonably on my 9 year old P3 512MB. notebook.

tgm4883
June 11th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Fresh install is the only way to revert to a previous version.

VOT Productions
June 11th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Try Unity 2D (Go to Synaptic to install it)

siddi
November 8th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I recently upgraded to 11.10 and the wifi signals are appalling.... It keeps getting disconnected every few minutes... and there seems to be no solution for it....

I want to change to 10 if theres no solution too..

Please advice

Mark Phelps
November 8th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I recently upgraded to 11.10 and the wifi signals are appalling.... It keeps getting disconnected every few minutes... and there seems to be no solution for it....

I want to change to 10 if theres no solution too..

Please advice
The title of this thread deals with downgrading -- in which you've already learned there is no downgrade path in Ubuntu.

Since you're problem is different, you need to start a new thread of your own -- dealing with the wifi problem, not downgrading. And, you would get better response if you do that in the Networking subforum.