PDA

View Full Version : Are people really this selfish?

ki4jgt
June 11th, 2011, 04:24 PM
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/07/pay-sit-bench-keeps-the-poor-standing-the-rich-relaxing/

Design's two years old. Not very many places have adopted it's use. Please tell me humanity hasn't come to this :-(.

betterhands
June 11th, 2011, 04:30 PM
lol! capitalism at its finest.

Paqman
June 11th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Please tell me humanity hasn't come to this :-(.

Chill, it's social satire.

ki4jgt
June 11th, 2011, 04:41 PM

Thank God :-) I think that would be really cruel.

johnb820
June 11th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Enough to make a Ferengi proud.

krapp
June 11th, 2011, 04:58 PM

And a sublime one at that!

Rasa1111
June 11th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Yeah, For now. lol
But I can honestly see that actually being made a reality, if we keep going down this hellish road.
Some capitalistic fools might see this and think "excellent idea!, How do we implement it!?" :o
O_o

cgroza
June 11th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Those spikes look dangerous. I bet some one will sit anyway and get hurt and then say he did not see them, did not hear the signal and this will get some bad reputation.

Or people will sit on the ground and leave these maniacs go broke.

Oxwivi
June 11th, 2011, 05:43 PM
If it's ever implemented it's going to be trashed. Period. Unless of course it's placed in, I don't know, Beverley Hills?

Spice Weasel
June 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Yes. People are this selfish.

kabloink
June 11th, 2011, 07:49 PM
This would never see wide spread use. It's just asking for a lawsuit from the disabled and elderly. The first little old lady that couldn't get up fast enough or the first deaf individual that didn't hear the beep would mean the end of it.

forrestcupp
June 11th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I'm sorry, but that is awesome. I want one of those.

The funny thing is that the spikes didn't quite go down all of the way. I guess you have to pay a dollar if you want it to not be slightly uncomfortable.

holiday
June 11th, 2011, 08:09 PM
In the movie Flow, a documentary about the politics and business of water, there is a story about an African community who took their water from the town pump, a simple agrarian community with a shared source of water.

The "government" sold the country's water to an international corporation - sorry I forget the name of this sickening creature - and in very short order that town pump had a coin slot.

So the people of the town, who had no coins, had to get their water from a stream downstream from some other international corporation's chemical plant. People got sick. Some died.

It goes beyond selfishness. This is Greed. And no, Greed is not good. Greed is one of the Seven Deadlies and a society that worships Greed has sold its soul to Satan.

If there was a hell there'd be a special room for the Greedy. But there is no hell - other than the one created by the Greedy.

swoll1980
June 11th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Well they already have pay toilets, so this isn't that different. I think the pay toilets are more so selfish; pay or crap your pants. That's a hell of a choice to give someone. I've actually seen people crawl under the doors on their bellies. Wouldn't want to know what they're crawling through.

swoll1980
June 11th, 2011, 08:32 PM
But there is no hell - other than the one created by the Greedy.

You've obviously never been to Chuck E' Cheese's on a Friday night. :p

NightwishFan
June 11th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Enough to make a Ferengi proud.

:D !! Exactly.

Thewhistlingwind
June 11th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I'm sure a wood file could numb those spikes down a bit. ;)

As pointed out in the comments, a more sane design would be making the backrest/etc uncomfortable until a coin is inserted.

Theres no way it's a serious product.

Tibuda
June 11th, 2011, 10:45 PM
A fakir would not have to pay

handy
June 11th, 2011, 11:33 PM
I think it is a great idea, it would keep the homeless riff-raff from sleeping on the seats day or night...

I'll have to mention this brilliant idea to our local council & the tourist information office. With any luck they will look into purchasing it, so that in future our parks will only have the right kinds of people in them. (Or at least using the seats.)

Bandit
June 11th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Those spikes look dangerous. I bet some one will sit anyway and get hurt and then say he did not see them, did not hear the signal and this will get some bad reputation.

Or people will sit on the ground and leave these maniacs go broke.

Oww my *** hurts..

handy
June 11th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Oww my *** hurts..

Tough if you doze off & your a bit deaf & don't hear the alarm!

Perhaps in the interest of safety they should give you an electric shock that launches you to your feet, therefore saving your posterior from any unwanted intrusions.

ki4jgt
June 11th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Well they already have pay toilets, so this isn't that different. I think the pay toilets are more so selfish; pay or crap your pants. That's a hell of a choice to give someone. I've actually seen people crawl under the doors on their bellies. Wouldn't want to know what they're crawling through.

I would just bring my own toilet paper out with me, and then crap in the floor of the rest room. If the store owner got frustrated enough of cleaning crap up, he would stop forcing people to pay to use the toilet. Toilets are good for business anyway, they force consumers to look at your products. If a consumer comes in and sees s/he must pay to use the toilet, they're not going to be very happy about buying anything from you. IMHO

cgroza
June 11th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I would just bring my own toilet paper out with me, and then crap in the floor of the rest room. If the store owner got frustrated enough of cleaning crap up, he would stop forcing people to pay to use the toilet. Toilets are good for business anyway, they force consumers to look at your products. If a consumer comes in and sees s/he must pay to use the toilet, they're not going to be very happy about buying anything from you. IMHO
Good luck with that!:p

ki4jgt
June 11th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I think it is a great idea, it would keep the homeless riff-raff from sleeping on the seats day or night...

I'll have to mention this brilliant idea to our local council & the tourist information office. With any luck they will look into purchasing it, so that in future our parks will only have the right kinds of people in them. (Or at least using the seats.)

Sorry, don't think I'll be visiting your town any time soon :-) no tourism from me. I'm not broke, but if someone wants to charge me to sit in their town (in which I AM A GUEST) I don't think I like that hospitality.

As for the spikes, couldn't they remove the spikes and simply have flat tops? With flat tops they would be just as effective. (W/O the threat of lawsuit)

NightwishFan
June 12th, 2011, 12:00 AM
To be quite honest I have seen places that are sick of people loitering on their walls or etc at have added spikes, but nothing you have to pay. I do not put it past them to do something like this in the future. I will never take part though.

handy
June 12th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Many years ago, some service (gas) stations in this country started charging people for compressed air; you have to put coins in the slot to be able to top up your tyres with air if they need it.

I won't buy fuel or anything else from such places.

As far as the seats with spikes are concerned it is a great way of demonstrating the incredible inequity that exists in most societies today (I know, not only today). It reflects "the American dream" right back at you:- You can have anything you want, wherever & whenever you want it, if you have enough money.

Paqman
June 12th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I do not put it past them to do something like this in the future.

Oh no, not Them!

handy
June 12th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Oh no, not Them!

If its not them, then it is you!

lisati
June 12th, 2011, 12:25 AM
What next? Spikes in cars instead of airbags, as an incentive to drive safely instead of relying on the safety devices? :D

uRock
June 12th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Awesome! Install them in the air port and get rich quick.

juancarlospaco
June 12th, 2011, 12:46 AM
How a person that cant ear know that the time its over???

Legendary_Bibo
June 12th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I prefer the spikes.

The pain gives me pleasure.

3rdalbum
June 12th, 2011, 02:16 AM
That's not serious. The video is a piece of video art; it's not a real invention. It's just the project of some media arts student somewhere.

conradin
June 12th, 2011, 03:58 AM
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/07/pay-sit-bench-keeps-the-poor-standing-the-rich-relaxing/

Design's two years old. Not very many places have adopted it's use. Please tell me humanity hasn't come to this :-(.

Thats Kinky! I'd like to sit on that with ***-less chaps. And I dont have to pay?!? XD !!!!

swoll1980
June 12th, 2011, 05:11 AM
What next? Spikes in cars instead of airbags, as an incentive to drive safely instead of relying on the safety devices? :D
Better yet, why not just put the spikes in your driveway, or even better yet, just drive them directly into to your forehead. I love this planet!