PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop Dual Boot Questions

GC136
June 11th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I am in the planning stages of dual booting Win 7 and Ubuntu 11.04, and I'm curious if anyone has found out any problems with booting Win 7 64 bit and 11.04 32 bit. If I go ahead with this, could there be problems when I transfer files between the two partitions? Or should I just go with 64 bit for both?

Also for anyone who has already tried and gotten their Win 7 and Ubuntu to dual boot on a laptop successfully without breaking a sweat. If you guys could give me some tips, that would be greatly appreciated. Last time I tried to dual boot on a laptop, I ended up having to wipe Win off completely. That was really dumb, and I hope I can avoid it this time around.

Thanks

awam66
June 11th, 2011, 04:45 PM
HI,
I recently helped a friend to install 11.04 and we noticed that the installer offers to transfer files from Windows to ubuntu during installation. We went ahead and after booting into Natty all the files from windows my_Documents were there in the Documents folder. Can't answer the other questions but see no reason why 32 bit natty would not work alongside 64bit Windows7 as long as you don't install with Wubi. Good luck

Sombir.Sheoran
June 11th, 2011, 04:56 PM
HI,
I recently helped a friend to install 11.04 and we noticed that the installer offers to transfer files from Windows to ubuntu during installation. We went ahead and after booting into Natty all the files from windows my_Documents were there in the Documents folder. Can't answer the other questions but see no reason why 32 bit natty would not work alongside 64bit Windows7 as long as you don't install with Wubi. Good luck
Hello Dear,

I too tried once installing Ubuntu 11.04 over Windows 7. And as already said by "awam66", there was no issue in transferring documents between two OSes.
Hope this will cause no issue.

I would prefer to use Ubuntu 10.10, as 11.04 is in Beta stage and its causing many issue.

Thanks.

GC136
June 11th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The reason I am a little nervous about this one is due to the recent problems that I have been having with 11.04. See thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1780040
The mouse problem that I'm referring to in that thread could eventually be problematic if I have to find a way to restart my track pad every time I boot up. Right now on my desktop all I have to do is replug-in my mouse, which is a hassle but doable quickly. Having to scramble for a track pad on a laptop could mean more time wasted.

Soon this laptop will be the only computer I have, so I need to make sure that there's as few problems as possible.