PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem with installation

natnats92
June 11th, 2011, 01:49 PM
i was using ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop with dual boot for around 6 months. being a newbie i experimented with something and managed to get myself locked out. not know what to do next i uninstalled wubi and tried to reinstall it. the installation completed successfully but on loading it got stuck before the login screen.

Rubi1200
June 12th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums :-)

Did you change any hardware between the time of the first install and the second install?

For example, new hard drive, new graphics card etc.?

Please post the full specifications for the computer, especially RAM and graphics card.

Thanks.

natnats92
June 14th, 2011, 08:38 PM
hey thanx for the quick reply! i haven't changed the hardware nor have i downloaded any driver updates. my specs are as follows:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10Ghz
2.10Ghz, 2.50 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G Graphics card
i tried installing ubuntu 11.04 yesterday. same thing! installation completes. then i reboot my system. i choose ubuntu. it starts loading. the dots appear and then disappear and the entire screen is now purple. i can't do anything but press the power button to shut down. HELP!

Rubi1200
June 14th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hi,
you can try and set nomodeset as a boot option.

See here for more details:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10089820&postcount=8

natnats92
June 15th, 2011, 08:18 PM
thanx 'nomodeset' worked and it installed succesfully. but now the problem is that each time i want to use ubuntu i have to keep adding 'nomodeset' before 'quick splash'. otherwise it gets stuck at the ubuntu loading screen.

Rubi1200
June 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM
The first thing to check is whether you need to install the drivers for your card. Go to System Settings and Hardware Drivers. If it tells you there is something available then install it and that should solve the problem.

If not, then you can set nomodeset to be more permanent this way:

Open this file from the terminal:

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub

Find this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Change it to this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

Save and close and then run this command to make it permanent:

sudo update-grub

Let me know how it works out please.