PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Slow & choppy performance of v.10.04

Colin White
June 11th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I've just upgraded from a wonderfully working v.9.10 to v.10.04 so I can install Flash and allow video to work. Apparently i can't install Flash into this older version. The performance is now unusably slow and windows move around desktop in a very limited way and cascading menus lag. I did all updates before upgrading as suggested.
Any thoughts. Thanks (The machine is a Toshiba Tecra A4)

sanderd17
June 11th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I've just upgraded from a wonderfully working v.9.10 to v.10.04 so I can install Flash and allow video to work. Apparently i can't install Flash into this older version. The performance is now unusably slow and windows move around desktop in a very limited way and cascading menus lag. I did all updates before upgrading as suggested.
Any thoughts. Thanks (The machine is a Toshiba Tecra A4)

Hmm, first of all, try to look at the proprietary drivers (available in the system menu). Can you try another driver?

Second, try restoring some settings. Go in Nautilus and press CTRL+H. Then you see all hidden folders with settings.

Delete the folders of which you want to restore the settings. e.g. you want to keep the firefox passwords, than keep the .mozilla directory but you want to reset the gnome settings (windows drawing ...), then delete the .gnome2 directory.

Colin White
June 11th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Thank you for prompt reply. I'll try all this. But I was wondering might it be a good idea to create a boot disk of version 10.4 and do a clean install right into that version rather than the upgrade. Or even going straight to that beta version (11.1 is it?) and trying that maybe?. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

mörgæs
June 11th, 2011, 11:15 AM
A live boot of a selection of new releases (10.10, 11.04 and 10.04.2) is the best step. After that you can pick the one to install.

Remember to have wired internet access while installing.

Colin White
June 11th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Thank you both. I'll try the clean boot first. If that doesn't work I'll resort to Sanderd17's approach. Cheers. Col

mörgæs
June 11th, 2011, 11:38 AM
By the way, how much memory does the computer have? You might be better off trying Lubuntu.

sanderd17
June 11th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Thank you for prompt reply. I'll try all this. But I was wondering might it be a good idea to create a boot disk of version 10.4 and do a clean install right into that version rather than the upgrade. Or even going straight to that beta version (11.1 is it?) and trying that maybe?. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

Please use the proper version number, it's 11.10 (because it will be released in October 2011), not 11.1. For the moment, there is no beta version of it, only the first Alpha version. If you want to see how it works, look at this video: http://www.thisweekinlinux.com/2011/06/u1110a1/

If you've seen the video. I believe you understand that I don't recommend using an alpha version.