PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update manager always fails

andrewbtiom
June 11th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Hi all

I'm new to Ubuntu and installed 11.04 on an old Thinkpad T23. The Live CD worked fine as did an install to the HD, but I get a message from Update manager that there are updates that need to be applied and these always fail. I've tried selecting different ones in case it is just a particular update, but nothing has updated.

The error message is below, and I've found this in another post but although the post was marked as solved there was no solution given. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Andrew

installArchives() failed: Setting up tzdata (2011g-0ubuntu0.11.04) ...
Use of uninitialized value $reply in scalar chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Passthrough.pm line 66.
Use of uninitialized value $reply in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Passthrough.pm line 67.
Use of uninitialized value $reply in split at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Passthrough.pm line 68.
Use of uninitialized value $reply in scalar chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Passthrough.pm line 66.
Use of uninitialized value $reply in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Passthrough.pm line 67.
Use of uninitialized value $reply in split at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Passthrough.pm line 68.
Use of uninitialized value $ret in string eq at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Passthrough.pm line 109.
dpkg: error processing tzdata (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 128
Errors were encountered while processing:
tzdata
Setting up tzdata (2011g-0ubuntu0.11.04) ...
Use of uninitialized value $ret in string eq at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Passthrough.pm line 109.
dpkg: error processing tzdata (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 128

mörgæs
June 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Try to reboot the computer and run

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

If you get error messages, please post them.

andrewbtiom
June 11th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Many thanks mörgæs, that worked - all of the apps updated without errors and the update manager now reports there are no more updates. I didn't really follow what it was that I was doing, but the outcome's good.

Thanks again

Andrew

mörgæs
June 11th, 2011, 01:48 PM
You are welcome.

If you want to learn more about Apt, the manual in my signature is a good place to begin.