installman
June 10th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Hi everyone hope you can help me
I just built a new computer specs are
i3 2100
4 mb ram
biostar h67 motherboard
western digital sata hard drive
I have installed ubuntu 11.04 on my windows machine as a dual boot system with no problems, but when I try to install ubuntu on the new system it goes through the whole download and install procdure the says to restart. When I restart it takes forever to boot to the ubuntu screen then just stops. I can move the cursor around the screen with the mouse, but nothing else.I do not have windows on the new machine and don't want to go there please.
Thanks Stan

nzjethro
June 10th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Can you boot live? That is, can you run Ubuntu from the LiveCD? If yes, do so, run Gparted, clean your entire disk, create a ext4 partition for Ubuntu (either the whole thing, or else the ext4 for Ubuntu and whatever other partitions you want) and try install Ubuntu on the clean disk. Starting from a nice clean disk will mean that Grub can set itself up nicely.

installman
June 10th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I think I can still run from the flash drive. I will try your suggestion and reply shortly
Thanks Stan

installman
June 11th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Ok I am now online with the try ubuntu selection off the flash drive. I can't seem to get access to do anything with the hdd. I tried to select install and it just locks up. Is it possible to download and install from the try ubuntu?
Thanks Stan

cmhorel
June 11th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Is there a possibility there's something wrong with your hard drive? Recently I tried several times to install Ubuntu 10.04 and 11.04 on the same computer. Every time I tried to boot, the installation hung on the loading screen with the dots and just cycled forever. One of three of my hard drives was actually cooked, and when I removed it the installation worked perfectly.

installman
June 11th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I guess its possible it is a new drive. how can i test it
Thanks Stan

wildmanne39
June 11th, 2011, 02:35 AM
I guess its possible it is a new drive. how can i test it
Thanks StanHi, you can run a quick scan on the livecd by opening disk utilities.
It is probably a driver and hardware issue. You should try this guide and then post back.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

installman
June 12th, 2011, 03:03 AM
nzjethro
I ran gparted created a new partition(the whole drive) and then installed ubuntu again. When I rebooted it booted ubuntu from the hdd and after login it seemed ok until I tried to eject the usb drive then it started flashing the window very fast and wouldn't let me do anything. I then re booted again and I got a message saying I didn't have the hardware required to run unity and told me to select classic from the boot menu then booted on its own into what I guess is classic(I have only used 11.04 for a little over a week and hadn't heard of ubuntu before then) on its own. Now for the next issue ubuntu doesn't see my dvd drive at all. I was going to run the drivers cd, but I can't get ubuntu to see the drive to install the drivers.

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 12th, 2011, 03:08 AM
nzjethro
I ran gparted created a new partition(the whole drive) and then installed ubuntu again. When I rebooted it booted ubuntu from the hdd and after login it seemed ok until I tried to eject the usb drive then it started flashing the window very fast and wouldn't let me do anything. I then re booted again and I got a message saying I didn't have the hardware required to run unity and told me to select classic from the boot menu then booted on its own into what I guess is classic(I have only used 11.04 for a little over a week and hadn't heard of ubuntu before then) on its own. Now for the next issue ubuntu doesn't see my dvd drive at all. I was going to run the drivers cd, but I can't get ubuntu to see the drive to install the drivers.

Does this happen with 10.10? Try this:

http://cinderbox.net/2010/12/23/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-10-10-aka-maverick-meerkat/

installman
June 12th, 2011, 03:14 AM
should I install the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version?
Thanks Stan

aarsalankhalid
June 12th, 2011, 03:37 AM
should I install the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version?
Thanks Stan
That depends on your system. But if you're not sure, just install the 32 bit version.

installman
June 12th, 2011, 01:00 PM
-I have installed ubuntu 10.10 and it still doesn't see the dvd drive.
Thanks Stan

installman
June 12th, 2011, 10:47 PM
spent some time searching,but no luck yet. The dvd drive is an asus x- multi

installman
June 13th, 2011, 04:57 AM
It is working now. I had to change the sata settings in the bios to ahci and now everything seems to be fine.
Thanks for your help
Stan