PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Two monitors on two graphic cards

harberst
June 10th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I've been searching for two days and haven't found an answer yet, but maybe I missed something. If there is already an answer please share it, if this isn't the right place for this question please let me know where I should ask.

Okay so to start with I'm using Ubuntu 11.04. I should have two graphic cards, and they are both detected in the terminal.

lspci | grep VGA
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation C77 [GeForce 8200] [10de:084b] (rev a2)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400GS] [10de:10c3] (rev a2)
Both cards have monitors plugged into their VGA ports, but only one of the monitors shows a display. The other monitor goes into power saver mode right after start up. Nvidia X Server settings only shows a single graphics card (the 8200) and a single monitor (detect monitor finds nothing). Going through Prefences: Monitors also only shows a single monitor and doesn't detect a thing when detect monitors is clicked.

Monitor one has 1440 x 900 resolution and I'm not sure what the resolution of Monitor two is supposed to be, but it displays rather nicely at being set to 1440 x 900.

Both graphics cards are detected and usable in Vista, but a quick switch of the plugs shows that only the 8200 is registering in Ubuntu.

Ideally I want to have a dual monitor set up, with one screen showing documents or pictures with the other using Gimp or Blender. Any help in setting this up would be greatly appreciated.

harberst
June 12th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Bump for help please?

I think the main problem is that even though the terminal detects the 2nd card when ordered, it's not in use. How would one go about, well, activating it?

harberst
June 16th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Are ya'll seriously telling (silently) that no one can help with this?

bcschmerker
June 16th, 2011, 07:21 AM
This issue of dual GPU's appears similar to a situation for which I am fielding recommendations (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1776921) (none received as of 15 June 2011), as I have an eMachines®/Acer® EL1210-09 (http://www.emachines.com/) (Advance Micro Devices® Athlon 64® LE-1620, nVIDIA® MCP78S chipset/GeForce® 8200 IGP (http://www.nvidia.com/)) recently rebuilt as a 64-bit Lucid box and now in testing. nVIDIA® supports several generations of GeForce® GPU with a proprietary driver and settings-application package in the Restricted repository. The GeForce® 8200, according to nVIDIA® documentation on Hybrid SLI (Hybrid SLI being supported only in Microsoft® Windows® 6-up), should be able to see the video memory of a PCI-Express x16 add-on card.

Can't comment on seeing dual GPU's in xserver-xorg-nv, as the dual-GPU situation is quite new to me.

harberst
June 17th, 2011, 07:26 AM
bcsmerker: Thanks for the reply. I've been noticing a lot of issues relating to dual gpus/monitors floating around here.

And all that digging around has led me to a desire to change my question. How can I get the 8400 to register as the main card? I'm seeing a lot of stuff about editing the xconf, but I don't really see any clear and concise (to me anyway) explanations of why/what is going on (I'm very much not a programmer, just an overly curious wannabe writer/artist type). Do I need to muck about with the xconf? If so what (and simple why's) do I need to do? Thank you to anyone who can help.

lrbh
December 1st, 2011, 06:38 PM
Any advance on this? (He asked, hopefully.)