PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Is boot of window7 will be destroyed?

new7linux
June 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM
hi guys:-

i had Win7 operating system only
then i install Ubuntu 10.4,i became had dual boot(ubuntu,&Win7),,

if i install ubuntu 11.04 above Ubuntu 10.4, the boot of window7 will be lost?

Elfy
June 10th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Assuming that you installed normally you would just end up with a triple boot. Does it not start with grub anyway?

new7linux
June 10th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Assuming that you installed normally you would just end up with a triple boot. Does it not start with grub anyway?

no i want remove ubuntu 10 , and install ubuntu 11"but i want still use win7"

Elfy
June 10th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Did you install normally or did you install in Windows with wubi?

If you installed normally you can overwrite the existing install with the new one.

new7linux
June 10th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Did you install normally or did you install in Windows with wubi?

If you installed normally you can overwrite the existing install with the new one.

i not install yet,
i asking before install,

ok, you say i can overwrite the existing"and windows7 will still work".

Elfy
June 10th, 2011, 05:29 PM
ok, you say i can overwrite the existing"and windows7 will still work".If you installed normally - if you installed inside windows with wubi it's possibly a different story.

Run
sudo fdisk -l from a terminal and post the results.

new7linux
June 10th, 2011, 07:22 PM
If you installed normally - if you installed inside windows with wubi it's possibly a different story.

Run
sudo fdisk -l from a terminal and post the results.

i not want installed inside windows.
i will installed normally, by press F12 at start up of computer to " booting from DVD"

the run the code , the result:-

Elfy
June 11th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Do the same again with the new cd or dvd - proceed with the install and when you reach the partition stage choose "Something Else" or "Advanced" - should be the last option.

Let the window refresh with the partition list - your existing install appears to be on sda4 - the only linux partition - so select that and click the Edit/Change partition button. In the new window that appears format and set the mountpoint to / save that and you'll be back to the partition list.

Carry on from there and it will install in the existing install.

westie457
June 11th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Hello, If you have installed programs and other personal files eg. music do not repeat do not tick the format box. 'forestpiskie' is correct in what he has stated above. His solution will give you a 100% clean install wiping out everything that was on the partition.

If you leave the format box unmarked the install will go ahead leaving your documents in place and upgrading any programs/packages that you installed in the previous version.

Hope this helps

new7linux
June 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM
thank you guys i installed the new ubuntu..