PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot problems after regular update Natty programmes

edfast
June 10th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Haven't found anyone on the forums with a similar problem, so starting this thread for advice. I have been happily running natty/unity on a macbook 2,1 for a couple of months now. Occasional glitches but no major issues. After last regular update (June 9) I had difficulties shutting down, so I forced the system down (maybe this was a mistake) through an 'American reboot' as it's known in Europe, ie; by pulling the plug. No processes were active that I could detect. On restart, I get the message 'no bootable device, pls insert boot disc' and have tried since to go via various acrobatics in the terminal of the disk-booted system to try and get at what's on the hard drive, but no such luck. I have tried to mount the drive through the terminal on the CD, but the unit is not found - but I am not quite sure if I enter the correct commands, being a Ubuntu newbie. So what are my options now? Is there any known way by which I can restore my original system, rescue the drive or even just retrieve my data (not much)? Most of the programmes were canonical, in addition I ran Skype beta, Gmediaplayer, PlayDownloader through Java, Spotify preview, an OpenVPN utility that I never got to working properly. The last update installed updates for Chrome and possibly Skype, other than that I'm not quite certain. Ideas? Help someone?!
Cheers! P.

edfast
June 10th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I'd like to add and clarify. I tried to mount my SSD from the terminal of the live-install CD. This is what was returned:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ mount /dev/hda
mount: can't find /dev/hda in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ mount /dev/hdb
mount: can't find /dev/hdb in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ mount
aufs on / type aufs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
/dev/sr0 on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro,noatime)
/dev/loop0 on /rofs type squashfs (ro,noatime)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/ubuntu/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=ubuntu)
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ mount /dev/sda
mount: can't find /dev/sda in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ find sda
find: `sda': No such file or directory
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ mount sda
mount: can't find sda in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

It seems it doesn't see my hard drive at all? Yet, when I tentatively go ahead with the install process, it correctly identifies the drive as /dev/sda - and then the name of the device. Why not from the terminal? I would prefer to repair rather than fresh install, for all the usual reasons...