PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to Ubuntu!...I think I upgraded from Win7

BertC
June 10th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Not a question sas such, just a bit of an introduction.

Have been a windows user since way back when win 95 was all the rage!

I always thought of linux as been a hackers system haha but thought I'd have a go with linux after just getting bored with Windows 7.

Tried it with Wubi for a few days and now I can happily say that I'm on a single boot system with Ubuntu 11.04 taking up all my hard drive.

I say I think I've upgraded from Windows 7 as I have a few windows programs that I need to install (looked at wine and the progs I have are compatible - what does this mean in terms of installing them? One program for example is FlexiSign. I will search but is there an easy way to install windows programs?)

I'm very new to terminal/command line etc so I will get there eventually :)

munzerelli
June 10th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Yay! :) congrats!

Oliphant
June 10th, 2011, 02:59 PM
FlexiSign hasen't worked for me under Crossover. I can point you towards TuxPlot and using InkScape if your cutting vinyl. Obviously, not going to be anywhere near as involved as Flexi is but, I myself only cut wall decor vinyl so just using, GIMP, Inkscape and TuxPlot it fulfills my needs perfectly.

Gary at securetech is very knowledgeable and very fast at his e-mails. If you cannot live without Flexi I suggest VirtualBox :p

http://www.securetech-ns.ca/securetech.html

BigCat4
June 10th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I converted to Linux back in the early WinXP days and continue to learn new tips and tricks about command line, shell, etc. Here is a URL for a page with tons of Cheat Sheets, hope they help!

http://www.scottklarr.com/topic/115/linux-unix-cheat-sheets---the-ultimate-collection/

collisionystm
June 10th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Not a question sas such, just a bit of an introduction.

Have been a windows user since way back when win 95 was all the rage!

I always thought of linux as been a hackers system haha but thought I'd have a go with linux after just getting bored with Windows 7.

Tried it with Wubi for a few days and now I can happily say that I'm on a single boot system with Ubuntu 11.04 taking up all my hard drive.

I say I think I've upgraded from Windows 7 as I have a few windows programs that I need to install (looked at wine and the progs I have are compatible - what does this mean in terms of installing them? One program for example is FlexiSign. I will search but is there an easy way to install windows programs?)

I'm very new to terminal/command line etc so I will get there eventually :)

Don't use Wine. Your best bet is to use VMware player. It actually support Windows 7 aero and 3d graphics ( if you have the right video card ). You should also check out Vmware Workstation. It costs a bit of money but I think its under $200.00. But either way, you can play games like halfife 2, WoW...etc. All in a virtual session.

Cheers,

Welcome to Ubuntu!