PDA

View Full Version : Simply Ubuntu!

kanishkdudeja
June 10th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I am making a website Simply Ubuntu! so that people can find and share resources and knowledge related to Ubuntu and Linux in general.

You can visit it at Simply Ubuntu! (http://simplyubuntu.co.cc)

ive just started it.

i need your suggestions so as to what common problems beginners face..and which things prevented you from installing ubuntu the first time..so that we can get people started from scratch..and we can clear their doubts and show them things which will inspire them to try out Ubuntu once..

My main aim is:

1 - To get more people into using Ubuntu, to show advantages operating systems such as Ubuntu have over Windows..

2 - To give people handy tips, tricks and tutorials who are already into using Ubuntu..

3 - To share some basic Linux concepts so that a beginner does not face problems..like changing file permissions via chmod etc..and using the terminal..etc

Thank you. Cheers :)

ChipOManiac
June 10th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Great!

BrokenKingpin
June 10th, 2011, 01:49 PM
It is great that you are interested in Ubuntu, but their is already site that does exactly this, such as http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/.

You can probably just contribute the one of the existing sites or the Ubuntu wiki.

nomko
June 10th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Always good to see that Ubuntu inspires people!

Hint:
Next time when you post, do not post your thread multiple times (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1779309). If you post something and want to change, there's an edit button at bottom rigth of your post.

kanishkdudeja
June 11th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Give me suggestions people.

sffvba[e0rt
June 11th, 2011, 01:14 PM

No.

bakelitedoorbell
June 11th, 2011, 01:59 PM

You can browse the threads on the "Absolute Beginner Talk" forum here at Ubuntuforums.org and look for frequently asked questions. Then write your tutorials to answer them.

DirtyPC
June 11th, 2011, 02:17 PM
If you want, you can add my howto on fixing the belkin wireless, just look through my threads, mention thats its mine though.

kanishkdudeja
June 11th, 2011, 02:35 PM
okay..thanks guys..:)

DirtyPC
June 12th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Similarly, i'm also broacasting this site soon enough.
See here (http://harrylucas.moonfruit.com)

timZZ
June 12th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I think many people are doing this already.

What makes you have the advantage over others? I myself even have such articles but I use them as an extension for the Ubuntu Forums.

Why? Because the forums, is already a place that resolves all the issues you are referring too.

My article is trying to get people who haven't used ubuntu onto these forums where as you seem to be attempting to monopolize and take people off.

People need to recognize we need to stick together ... it is community driven ... stop trying to make hundreds of communities ... start making the already successful communities better.

kanishkdudeja
June 12th, 2011, 06:31 PM
i get ur point mate.

but hardly anyone in my friends circle or my relatives know about ubuntu..

very few people know about ubuntu in india..

windows rules..

i thought if i could show them glimses of how ubuntu can give them a better computing experience than windows..

then dey mite be interested to atleast try it out once...

the forum here is for resolving queries and doubts..

ofcourse this is the main thing..

but just to get people started i wanted to make the site..

plus i feel i will explain everything from scratch there..

like chmod, and commands etc..

so that users get a basic grip of everything..

my main aim is to just get people to start using it.

timZZ
June 12th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Windows rules in a lot of different areas of computing ... this is nothing new.

I wouldn't say there isn't a better method of getting to know Ubuntu when it comes to these forums.

In reality however forums are for discussions ... A discussion needs to take place for people to make an educated decision(s).

I would say something more graphical can demonstrate the point like "Gnome can bridge the gap to a GUI reliant user".

Good luck with your website but to me ... A. You are building a site many have done already B. You are talking to the already converted and where yes most can recommend areas they have trouble with ... everyone is different and a personal touch is required. (Forums can do this)

kanishkdudeja
June 12th, 2011, 06:59 PM
A. You are building a site many have done already
They may have done already. But i'm sure i'l be able to offer a lot more. Ive visited many Ubuntu blogs. I dont like them much. Because they just seem to tell how to install this app, this app etc etc. I want to make a site which can make beginners feel comfortable. A person only with experience of Windows, after exploring my site, will be able to install Ubuntu easily, learn its basic functionality, the terminal, would be able to use it for his/her daily purposes, who would den start to feel confident of replacing Windows by Ubuntu as his/her default os. On many blogs, the data is fragmented. Bits of the story are told without going into it deeply. I will try to have a basic complete package right from installing Ubuntu to finish it with maybe advanced concepts like shell programming. I will be able to show them how common tasks can so easily be done in Ubuntu.

B. You are talking to the already converted and where yes most can recommend areas they have trouble with ... everyone is different and a personal touch is required. (Forums can do this)
My target is people who have no experience of Ubuntu or Linux yet. They are my main audience. I try to tell a lot of people about Ubuntu. They say they dont want to convert because they feel its hard, and its not that useful. I want to change that mindset. And i feel, if through my site, if im able to give them a complete package of installing and using Ubuntu, various tips, tricks and hacks, Linux then probably, they would change their mindset and would then run Ubuntu as their primary operating system.

DirtyPC
June 13th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I think timZZ has a very valid point, we don't want several weak communities, we want one strong community.
On my site, i've addressed that issue, as it will hopefully cover all Distros. The website will hopefully be a second resource for when you can't find the answer on other forums, as we only post solutions. I didn't want to create just another ubuntu blog is this won't get used or gain any attraction. By doing it the way i've done it, I think that's why its become so popular quickly.

NightwishFan
June 13th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I love the colours. Great job.

Thewhistlingwind
June 13th, 2011, 09:54 AM
As far as community goes, part of the problem is that it's not necessarily advertised that plugging yourself into the ubuntu network is a must to get the best experience.

The most direction one gets is some bookmarks in firefox and a few links buried in the docs shipped with the OS.

It's more important to have many nodes, weaved together, then a monolith with steep walls.

Aim to be a node, not a monolith.

DirtyPC
June 15th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Did anything come of this?

Anuovis
June 15th, 2011, 03:32 PM
You have to think whether you'd have the time and will to maintain it for a long time. Ubuntu changes and you'd have to update your old posts aside from putting enough of content to really be of any use.

It might be great if you manage to pull this of, but otherwise you'd probably do better to join some other initiatives by writing tutorials there or just posting on these forums.

To your original question - an explantion how an Ubuntu system works. What is a kernel, a desktop environment, where all the files are kept... preferably in a language that everyone can understand.

DirtyPC
June 15th, 2011, 04:14 PM
You have to think whether you'd have the time and will to maintain it for a long time. Ubuntu changes and you'd have to update your old posts aside from putting enough of content to really be of any use.

It might be great if you manage to pull this of, but otherwise you'd probably do better to join some other initiatives by writing tutorials there or just posting on these forums.

To your original question - an explantion how an Ubuntu system works. What is a kernel, a desktop environment, where all the files are kept... preferably in a language that everyone can understand.
My site is in its teething stages. He's more than welcome to come and help me.

See my Sig.

kanishkdudeja
June 15th, 2011, 04:41 PM
@harrylucas1: thanks. i will think about it. and surely help you if i can be of any help to you. :)

@Anuovis: yes, i really feel i can pull it off. it shall have lots of useful resources and i shall keep it constantly updated.