PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity - If you don't like, here is an alternative

birkopf
June 10th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I personally hate new Unity bar on the left. After quick search in the net I came out across many posts with same opinion. Even whole groups have been created! ;)

Simple way if you don't like Unity but want to have (better) functionality:

Install docky from repositories.
Configure to Autohide.
Remove (from docky) icans that you don't want there by dropping them on your desktop
Add docklets and other functionalities in docky options.

Simple and works great!
For me - fastest way to get directly to my folders.

See preview:
http://tinyurl.com/3cj2bd2

DinoT1985
June 10th, 2011, 02:57 PM
You hate Unity bar on the left but created a dock on the left side... Most people hate it because they want familiarity.

Skaperen
June 10th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I actually like Unity. Too bad it requires too much 3D accels that it isn't working on some machines. It requires the "nvidia" proprietary driver (at least on my video) and won't work with "nouveau". Unfortunately, the "nvidia" driver doesn't play well with text console mode and corrupts the graphics if I switch to the console (and I still need to do that). The basics of what Unity does do not need 3D. I guess only some of the eye candy parts do. Maybe in the next version they can teach Unity to work in a reduced capacity when the video available can't do 3D.

I do notice that the left bar will slide off screen out of the way if a window is present there, but will come back when the mouse comes to the left edge. I'd like to configure it to do that even if there is no window there (e.g. stay off the edge unless the mouse comes near). I'd also like it to be replicated on the right the same way (e.g. if the mouse comes to right edge, bring the menu bar out on the right side).

birkopf
June 16th, 2011, 09:02 AM
You hate Unity bar on the left but created a dock on the left side... Most people hate it because they want familiarity.

It don't like Unity because it plastic... or wooden. It doesn't work well for me and mases of others. Docky is rather fine.

One more thing to mention. Docky requires compositing so it's good to make sure this element is enabled.

First, make sure that Compiz Fusion is turn off:
Open “System”->” Preferences”->”Appearance”->”Visual Effects”, and select “None”.

Then press “Alt + F2 ” or open the Terminal, type: gconf-editor to open the Configuration Editor.

Find the key: /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager, then turn on.

The metacity is a compositing manager now!

And you can run some application like Avant Window Navigator without Compiz, that’s the power of Compositing!

(by Ubuntu Tweak)

mikewhatever
June 16th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Don't want to speak on behalf of most people, but I prefer the original Unity to a surrogate.

pony-tail
June 16th, 2011, 02:03 PM
All the Unity hate is beginning to sound like a stuck record. Get over it.
Yeah I got over it - actually , got rid of it ! I went back to 10.04.2 LTS . I will try it again when and if it actually works properly .

collisionystm
June 16th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Yeah I got over it - actually , got rid of it ! I went back to 10.04.2 LTS . I will try it again when and if it actually works properly .

It works fantastic.

silex89
June 16th, 2011, 02:34 PM
You can also tryout Ubuntu with Gnome 3 (called gNatty, click HERE (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1754198&highlight=gnatty) to download). IMO works like a dream :D, I'm running it through a virtual machine and has some really nice functions

Please read completely the first post before downloading :)

Best Luck

mikewhatever
June 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM

You don't have to. It's still two more years till 10.04 reaches EOL. Anyway, I am glad we agree that hating is just silly, especially hating an interface.

oldrocker99
June 16th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I tried Docky, but settled on Cairo Dock.