PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual booting ubuntu with windows on a laptop

tomharto
June 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Im looking at getting a laptop and dual botting it with ubuntu and windows and my boss said when he did that on his laptop it caused all kind of problems, but that was 2-3 years ago. Is it still a big buggy doing this or should i be able to dual boot on any laptop i get?

Malcolm Waterman
June 10th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Depends on the problems your boss had and the computer. I know that with a Dell Inspiron N5030, both Windows and Linux work fine

tomharto
June 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Ill take a look at that thanks , i just need it for running Adobe CS5 so it doesnt need to be amazing but i want something a little decent.

sanderd17
June 10th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Ubuntu works fine on most laptops, but if you're concerned about stability, I would install an LTS (Long-term-support, the current LTS is version 10.04).

There is an LTS coming out every two years and you can use an LTS for three years (so you have one year to switch to the new LTS).

LTS releases do not have the latest and greatest software (so maybe the newest hardware features like USB 3.0 will not work completely) but the software is tested very good and therefore very stable.

nzjethro
June 10th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I'm dual booting with Win 7 and Ubuntu 10.10, no problems at all. HP dv5 laptop (about 3 years old), and not buggy at all.