PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu alongside win7 - delete win 7?

cannotbstopped
June 10th, 2011, 04:00 AM
EDIT: Oh well I just ended up burning it to a disk and writing over all my windows stuff :)

Hey guys i installed ubunto 11.04 i think it was alongside windows 7. I used the method of running it with windows

"If you’ve got Windows, you can run Ubuntu within your current system with the Windows installer (Wubi). That way, you can install and uninstall Ubuntu in the same way as any other Windows application. It's simple and safe."

Now i really want to just keep ubuntu on here and get rid of windows 7 so i can have all that space for media and stuff.

So I am wondering firstly, do I have the full version of ubuntu or is it limited in any way because of the way i installed it?

And if it is the same as if I installed it from a cd or whatever is it possible to keep everything how it is and just reformat the windows partitions so i can use them in ubuntu?

cheers

tommcd
June 10th, 2011, 07:20 AM
EDIT: Oh well I just ended up burning it to a disk and writing over all my windows stuff ...
That is what I would have done. Actually, I would never have even bothered with Wubi in the first place.
For what it's worth though, it is possible to migrate a Wubi install to a dedicated linux partition. See this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354

You are almost certainly better off just doing a clean install of Ubuntu the real way to a dedicated linux partition.
Have fun with Ubuntu!

And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

rvchari
June 10th, 2011, 07:26 AM
EDIT: Oh well I just ended up burning it to a disk and writing over all my windows stuff :)

Hey guys i installed ubunto 11.04 i think it was alongside windows 7. I used the method of running it with windows

"If you’ve got Windows, you can run Ubuntu within your current system with the Windows installer (Wubi). That way, you can install and uninstall Ubuntu in the same way as any other Windows application. It's simple and safe."

Now i really want to just keep ubuntu on here and get rid of windows 7 so i can have all that space for media and stuff.

So I am wondering firstly, do I have the full version of ubuntu or is it limited in any way because of the way i installed it?

And if it is the same as if I installed it from a cd or whatever is it possible to keep everything how it is and just reformat the windows partitions so i can use them in ubuntu?

cheers

welcome aboard !!!
i am sure you will enjoy the experience with ubuntu.
regarding removal of win7, i would suggest you keep it as it is. you can uninstall ubuntu (u installed thru wubi) and go for a clean install in a seperate partition. you can dual boot and have the option of win7 or ubuntu. its handy to keep win7 as it is (its understandable you ve paid for it and let it rest there) space can be used even via ubuntu by shifting files to win partition. its my suggestion... till you fully get used to ubuntu and dont feel the need to switch back to windows !

cannotbstopped
June 10th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Thanks for your feed back.

I tried the wubi version to see if I liked ubuntu. I have been thinking about switching for a while but never really had the need till my win 7 expired.

previously I liked playing lots of games but ive been reducing the time I spend on the computer so thats also a pro of switching over because now I have no games installed :)

One other thing while you guys are around, do you use itunes or some other media player?

tommcd
June 11th, 2011, 07:30 AM
One other thing while you guys are around, do you use itunes or some other media player?
Apple has apparently decided that itunes will never be made available for linux. See this for itunes alternatives on Ubuntu: http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/itunes

For me, I like the light and simple music players. I use the Winamp-like XMMS on Slackware. For Ubuntu there is Audacious. I also like the very light Aqualung.
Most people seem to go with the more "full featured" music players like Rhythmbox, Amarok, Banshee, or the somewhat lighter, bit still feature rich Exaile.
Exaile is very nice. It would be my choice for a full featured music player.