PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dual-boot now is single boot

virsto
June 9th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I have a dual-boot system (Windows Vista (32-bit) with Ubuntu) and very recently went through a rather long process of upgrading Ubuntu from 10.9 to 10.10 and was very careful that I kept all my old configuration files.

After what seemed to be a successful upgrade to 10.10, a restart was attempted. But, now I am unable to boot to either system!!

I get the following when I try to boot:

Veriflying DMI Pool Data ............
error: the symbol 'grub_xputs' not found-
grub rescue>

What can I do to continue with the boot process? How can I use grub rescue to fix grub for booting?

Please help.
:(

Rubi1200
June 9th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hi,
you can take a look at the fantastic guide put together here by drs305:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594052

If you are able to boot into Ubuntu with this then run
sudo update-grub afterwards.

If that doesn't help, then please use a LiveCD/USB to download and run the boot info script.

There is a link at the bottom of my post with instructions.

virsto
June 9th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Hi,
you can take a look at the fantastic guide put together here by drs305:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594052

If you are able to boot into Ubuntu with this then run
sudo update-grub afterwards.

If that doesn't help, then please use a LiveCD/USB to download and run the boot info script.

There is a link at the bottom of my post with instructions.
sudo update-grub

gives-- error: cannot find a device for /.

Note, I have a Ubuntu 9.x installation CD and I am able to boot from this CD. But, I have no connection to the internet on the computer with the problem! Thus, I do not see how I can run the script that you mentioned.

If I boot from my LiveCD (Ubuntu 9.x installation CD) and then give

sudo blkid

I get the following:
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sda1: UUID="EA......" LABEL="SYSTEM" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="4A......" LABEL="APPLIC" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb2: UUID="9E......" LABEL="MISC" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb5: UUID="1c......" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdb6: UUID="37......" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdd1: LABEL="TREKSTOR" UUID="01..." TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sdc1: LABEL="MAXTOR" UUID="18..." TYPE="vfat"

How do I identify the boot device and how do I reference it using (hdX,Y)?

If I execute

sudo fdisk -l

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 30402 .... 7 HPFS/NTFS
Device Boot Start ID System
/dev/sdb1 1 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb2 45610 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb3 71060 5 Extended
/dev/sdb5 71060 83 Linux
/dev/sdb6 90379 .... ... 82 Linux swap / Solaris

How can I use this information to fix the problem when I am unable to boot either OS (Windows Vista and Ubuntu)? Note, I am using my laptop (Windows 7) for connection to the internet.

virsto
June 9th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Note, from the prompt

grub rescue>

if I give the command

ls

then I get
(hd0) (hd0,1) (hd1) (hd1,6) (hd1,5) (hd1,2) (hd1,1) (hd2) (hd2,1) (hd3) (hd3,1)

What information is contained in this and how can I use it to fix my problem --- still unable to boot either OS!

Rubi1200
June 9th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I will take a quick guess and say you should follow the instructions in the guide I linked to and try using hd1,5 plus the relevant changes as described there.

Let me know what happens.

drs305
June 9th, 2011, 06:39 PM
My guess is also that it would be sdb5 (hd1,5).

However, the "xputs" error message normally indicates that Grub wasn't fully installed. But you can try to boot from the Grub prompt and see how far you get.

You could install Grub 2 with the 'chroot' process but using a 9.10 CD would install an older version of Grub2. It might get your system booting at least. If you cannot boot from the Grub prompt and want to try the 'chroot' method, the instructions are in the thread linked to by "Chroot" in my signature line.

P.S. Rubi1200 - the "Ubuntu Member" logo looks great!

virsto
June 9th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I have made some progress by using the following:

1. Fix GRUB

sudo mkdir /media/sdb5 sudo mount /dev/sdb5 /media/sdb5

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/sdb5 /dev/sdb
which I believe fixed GRUB in my Ubuntu 10.10 system.

I then fixed the boot for my Windows Vista system,

Booted from my Vista DVD and used "Repair your computer" and
used the terminal (command window),

bootrec.exe /fixboot

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
which indeed fixed the boot for Windows Vista.

However, now I can only boot to Windows Vista --- I never get a screen
that allows me to choose the system I will boot to now!!

How do I recover the capability to choose the OS (Vista or Ubuntu)? At the moment
I am unable to boot Ubuntu.

virsto
June 9th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for your help Digg. I did look at the guide but I do not believe it was applicable to my situation at the time.

Note, I have recovered my Windows Vista now; but, am looking for a way to boot my other OS --- so far I have not figured out how to boot to my Ubuntu system --- never get a screen that allows me to choose the system.

virsto
June 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM
After repairing the boot record in Windows Vista on my dual-boot system (see my postings under Upgrade to 10.10 --- grub_xputs) I can now boot to Windows Vista. Unfortunately, I no longer get a screen during the boot process that allows me to choose between Ubuntu and Windows Vista!

That is, I now have a single-boot system --- to Windows Vista.

I have not tampered with the partitions in anyway and thus, it seems quite likely that my Ubuntu is still intact.

How can I recover my dual-boot capaiblity? Is it possible to force a boot to Ubuntu and then use some tools to fix GRUB (this is probably where things need to be changed).?

drs305
June 9th, 2011, 07:24 PM
sudo mkdir /media/sdb5 sudo mount /dev/sdb5 /media/sdb5

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/sdb5 /dev/sdb
which I believe fixed GRUB in my Ubuntu 10.10 system.

Were you able to boot into Ubuntu after you did this?

When you 'fixed' Windows, it overwrote any Grub2 information stored in the MBR. So if Windows now works, and Ubuntu worked before you ran the commands which fixed Windows, you are just about finished.

All you should have to do is to tell the MBR to point to the grub files. You would do this with the following commands from the LiveCD (or use the ones you previously used in the same manner):

sudo mount /dev/sdb5 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdb
Make sure your computer's BIOS boots the sdb drive first.

Just to emphasize, if your Grub wasn't returned to working order the last time you did this, don't do it now either. The second command will cause your Windows not to boot if Ubuntu doesn't either. It can be easily repaired, but there is no point in breaking Windows unless you have a reasonable chance Grub 2 will boot.

oldfred
June 9th, 2011, 08:14 PM
To confirm where everything is at, run this from liveCD.

Boot Info Script courtesy of forum members meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
Page with instructions and download:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Paste results.txt in a New Reply, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the New Reply Edit toolbar and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.

virsto
June 9th, 2011, 10:01 PM
But, how can I do this on my PC? That is, I am unable to run Ubuntu on my PC. Yes, I have an Ubuntu CD that can serve as a LiveCD; but, I do not understand how I can use your procedure.

Would you please expand a little on your suggestion. Note, I do have access to the internet but not via Ubuntu.

virsto
June 9th, 2011, 10:14 PM

When you 'fixed' Windows, it overwrote any Grub2 information stored in the MBR. So if Windows now works, and Ubuntu worked before you ran the commands which fixed Windows, you are just about finished.

All you should have to do is to tell the MBR to point to the grub files. You would do this with the following commands from the LiveCD (or use the ones you previously used in the same manner):

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdbMake sure your computer's BIOS boots the sdb drive first.

Just to emphasize, if your Grub wasn't returned to working order the last time you did this, don't do it now either. The second command will cause your Windows not to boot if Ubuntu doesn't either. It can be easily repaired, but there is no point in breaking Windows unless you have a reasonable chance Grub 2 will boot.

This makes good sense to me; but, when tried to update the GRUB I was never able to boot into Ubuntu on my PC, so I doubt it will work (as you have noted). I can use a liveCD (with Ubuntu 9.x on it); but, do not know how I can fix the GRUB AND insure that my bootup sequence finds it and allows me to choose my OS. Perhaps you could expand on how I might accomplish this (liveCD or ?). Note, sdb5 contains Linux.

Thanks for your help and support on this.

YesWeCan
June 9th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Hi there.
Does your PC have more than one hard disk?
Is your PC able to boot off a USB stick?

I ask because Vista is generally not very tolerant of Grub's MBR, as you have probably already noticed, so it can save you a lot of grief if your Grub MBR is on another disk. Another HD will do. A really convenient way is to install Ubuntu to a USB stick and boot off that (you don't use the OS on the USB but you use its Grub facilities to boot Ubuntu on your HD, and Vista).

drs305
June 9th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Perhaps you could expand on how I might accomplish this (liveCD or ?). Note, sdb5 contains Linux.

You would do this by 'chrooting' into your Ubuntu partition from the LiveCD. Chroot allows the LiveCD's system files to act on the files in your real installation. Once you mount your real partition and then mount the LiveCD's system files, you chroot into your partition and become root (sudo no longer required). Then you install Grub2.

In my guide, I have the user first check for an Internet connection (since you will need to install from the repositories), then remove Grub and finally reinstall it. Removing it first ensures that you get fresh, uncorrupted Grub files.

I could give you the commands here but the guide includes a few explanations of what you will see or be asked, plus there is now a link to a good site with graphics.

In your case, you would mount and chroot into sdb5, and install grub to sdb.

Here is the link:
HOWTO: Purge and Reinstall Grub 2 from the Live CD (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099)

If you successfully accomplish this, Grub will once again be in the sdb MBR and will point to the Grub2 files and menu. Windows should be found during the installation and included as an option in the Grub menu.

virsto
June 9th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Hi there.
Does your PC have more than one hard disk?
Is your PC able to boot off a USB stick?

I ask because Vista is generally not very tolerant of Grub's MBR, as you have probably already noticed, so it can save you a lot of grief if your Grub MBR is on another disk. Another HD will do. A really convenient way is to install Ubuntu to a USB stick and boot off that (you don't use the OS on the USB but you use its Grub facilities to boot Ubuntu on your HD, and Vista).

Yes, I have two HDs and I have Ubuntu installed. However, during an Ubuntu upgrade to 10.10 something happened to the grup, even though I was careful to keep all configuration files (when asked during the upgrade). After the upgrade I was unable to boot either my Vista or Ubuntu.

I can see the Ubuntu files on sdb5 from Windows Vista but I still do not know how to fix the problem. Any suggestions?

virsto
June 9th, 2011, 11:00 PM
But, how can I do this on my PC? That is, I am unable to run Ubuntu on my PC. Yes, I have an Ubuntu CD that can serve as a LiveCD; but, I do not understand how I can use your procedure.

Would you please expand a little on your suggestion. Note, I do have access to the internet but not via Ubuntu.

I can access the Ubuntu files on sdb5 (where Ubuntu is installed) from Windows Vista --- perhaps this could be useful for fixing the problem.

drs305
June 9th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Threads merged.

Threads about the same issue lead to duplication of effort and sometimes confusion. Since the one thread led into the other, and you were still seeking input on both, I've joined them to provide a more complete picture for the 'helpers'.

oldfred
June 9th, 2011, 11:49 PM
You showed you installed grub2's boot loader to sdb. Have you tried booting sdb with either a change in BIOS or one time boot key on BIOS boot screen (f12 on my system).

You can use liveCD and download boot script with the liveCD. Instructions on using boot script are on link to download.

virsto
June 10th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I finally was able to get info on my Ubuntu system using boot_info_script.sh

Boot Info Script 0.60 from 17 May 2011

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
=> Grub2 (v1.97-1.98) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb and looks at sector
1 of the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and
looks in partition 5 for /boot/grub.
=> Grub2 (v1.97-1.98) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdc and looks at sector
=> Grub2 (v1.97-1.98) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdd and looks at sector

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System: Windows Vista
Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe
/boot/grub/core.img

sdb1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Boot sector type: Grub2 (v1.97-1.98)
Boot sector info: Grub2 (v1.97-1.98) is installed in the boot sector of
sdb1 and looks at sector 1141873810 of the same hard
drive for core.img, but core.img can not be found at
this location. No errors found in the Boot Parameter
Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

sdb2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

sdb2 and looks at sector 1141879314 of the same hard
Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

sdb3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: Extended Partition
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:

sdb5: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 10.10
Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

sdb6: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: swap
Boot sector info:

sdc1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: vfat
sdc1 and looks at sector 1141867466 of the same hard
Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

sdd1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

sdd1 and looks at sector 1141867690 of the same hard
Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x011382f0

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sda1 * 2,048 488,394,751 488,392,704 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

Drive: sdb __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sdb: 750.2 GB, 750156374016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91201 cylinders, total 1465149168 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x0564b259

/dev/sdb1 2,048 732,721,143 732,719,096 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sdb2 732,721,152 1,141,559,271 408,838,120 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sdb3 1,141,562,835 1,465,144,064 323,581,230 5 Extended
/dev/sdb5 1,141,562,898 1,451,922,569 310,359,672 83 Linux
/dev/sdb6 1,451,922,633 1,465,144,064 13,221,432 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Drive: sdc __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sdc: 203.9 GB, 203927060480 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24792 cylinders, total 398295040 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x617523e2

/dev/sdc1 63 398,267,414 398,267,352 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Drive: sdd __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sdd: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x1d16751d

/dev/sdd1 63 625,137,344 625,137,282 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

"blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
/dev/sda1 E45E9EF65E9EC12A ntfs SYSTEM
/dev/sdb1 4A5C56EB5C56D175 ntfs APPLIC
/dev/sdb2 9E60F96860F94813 ntfs MISC
/dev/sdb5 1c2739db-9258-4b62-b736-be3857c711e9 ext4
/dev/sdb6 37b8de30-efa4-4e1d-9d8e-f3f48dfa8ec4 swap
/dev/sdc1 18EC-3E16 vfat MAXTOR
/dev/sdd1 0108-16A0 vfat TREKSTOR

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (rw)
/dev/sdc1 /media/MAXTOR vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,uid=999,gid=999,sh ortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)
/dev/sdd1 /media/TREKSTOR vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=devkit,uid=999,gid=999,sh ortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)
/dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 (rw)

=================== sda1: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

GiB - GB File Fragment(s)

?? = ?? boot/grub/core.img 1

=========================== sdb5/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
set have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="10"
if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
save_env prev_saved_entry
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}

function load_video {
insmod vbe
insmod vga
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 1c2739db-9258-4b62-b736-be3857c711e9
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=640x480
load_video
insmod gfxterm
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
set lang=en
insmod gettext
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=30
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-28-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-28-generic root=UUID=1c2739db-9258-4b62-b736-be3857c711e9 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-28-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-28-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.35-28-generic ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-28-generic root=UUID=1c2739db-9258-4b62-b736-be3857c711e9 ro single
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-26-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-26-generic root=UUID=1c2739db-9258-4b62-b736-be3857c711e9 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-26-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-26-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.32-26-generic ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-26-generic root=UUID=1c2739db-9258-4b62-b736-be3857c711e9 ro single
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin
}
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
}
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e45e9ef65e9ec12a
chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=============================== sdb5/etc/fstab: ================================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
UUID=1c2739db-9258-4b62-b736-be3857c711e9 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sdb6 during installation
UUID=37b8de30-efa4-4e1d-9d8e-f3f48dfa8ec4 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

=================== sdb5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

= boot/grub/core.img 1
= boot/grub/grub.cfg 1
= boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-26-generic 2
= boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-28-generic 2
= boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-26-generic 1
= boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-28-generic 1
= initrd.img 2
= initrd.img.old 2
= vmlinuz 1
= vmlinuz.old 1

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

awk: cmd. line:36: Math support is not compiled in

I hope that this can be of help in resolving the problem.

YesWeCan
June 10th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Yes, I have two HDs and I have Ubuntu installed. However, during an Ubuntu upgrade to 10.10 something happened to the grup, even though I was careful to keep all configuration files (when asked during the upgrade). After the upgrade I was unable to boot either my Vista or Ubuntu.

I can see the Ubuntu files on sdb5 from Windows Vista but I still do not know how to fix the problem. Any suggestions?
It is easy to muck it up, believe me. Loads of people end up not being able to boot one thing or another.

The way Grub works is that it is in 3 pieces. 2 of these are at the start of a disk, in the MBR sector and in several sectors immediately after, and the bulk of it is actually in the Ubuntu root partition.

When Vista repairs its boot system for you it will over-write the MBR sector with a DOS version. This wipes piece 1 of Grub away. The Vista boot-loader is unaware that there is a Ubuntu partition so it doesn't offer it to you in its menu.

The first 2 pieces of Grub do not need to be on the same disk as the Ubuntu root partition. So this means you could install Grub pieces 1 & 2 to your second HD (provided it does not also have a Vista OS installed on it). Then you configure the bios to boot the second HD instead of the first. You can always boot Vista directly off the first if you ever need to.

To arrange this follow the instructions drs305 and Oldfred will give you. :)

YesWeCan
June 10th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I can access the Ubuntu files on sdb5 (where Ubuntu is installed) from Windows Vista --- perhaps this could be useful for fixing the problem.
Unfortunately, Vista does not have the tools necessary to reinstall Grub. So this must be done using a Ubuntu live CD/USB.

oldfred
June 10th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Boot script shows a couple of problems. But have you tried booting from sdb? Change BIOS or one time boot key to select the drive that is sdb - 750GB drive.

It looks like you have installed grub2's boot loader to several partitions. We almost never install to a partition, just MBR or the first sector of a hard drive. Especially with multiple drives you do not need to install grub to a partition. Not sure if it will cause issues with NTFS. I know if it is a boot partition it is a big problem.

In the Vista partition you have another issue as part of grub was installed to it.

sda1: ___________________

/boot/grub/core.img

Windows is not case sensitive like Ubuntu is. So you have two identical folders from windows view of /boot & /Boot. You need to delete the /boot folder but be careful not to delete /Boot as it has the essential windows file BCD.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:Core_On_Windows

virsto
June 10th, 2011, 01:46 AM

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdbMake sure your computer's BIOS boots the sdb drive first.

I am a little lost now --- problem still unsolved and it is now 02:45 in the morning, and I need some rest.

What I have now done:
1. Used the boot_repair program from a liveCD (Ubuntu 10.04 secure 32-bit)

I got the following window after it did some searching

Repair of the computer boot
There is no boot backup on this computer.
This will reinstall GRUB bootloader..
Do you want to continue?

I responfed Yes. Then next window

LAST CONFIRMATION
Are you sure you want to reinstall GRUB bootloader?

I responded Apply

The defaults in Advanced settings resulted in completion with no errors.

I then tried to boot up and I now could only boot into Ubuntu!

2. I then went through several iterations of fixing my Windows Vista boot record and
it seems that if I put the GRUB bootloader on sbc or sdb (using the Advanced
setting option in boot_repair) then I would only be able to boot into Windows Vista.
I also used my Windows Vista CD to repair the boot record several times (when boot_repair overwrote the boot record on sda).

I am not sure where to go from here. I still can only boot one of my systems and never get a screen during bootup that allows me to choose from Vista or Ubuntu.

Note, when I use the default setting in boot_repair (GRUB bootloader placed on sda) I do get a screen that looks familiar for choosing the system, BUT windows is not an option and thus I can only boot into Ubuntu!

Several questions:
1. Where should boot_repair place the GRUB bootloader? (in Advanced settings)
2. Where should the boot record for Windows Vista be located?
3. Should I edit boot configuration file (used by GRUB)? And if yes, how and what should be changed?
4. Should I try to recover my old Ubuntu system (before the update) --- I do have backups? [Assuming that I can still access them using my liveCD].

drs305
June 10th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Take things one step at a time.

Get Windows to boot. This would mean you have probably also fixed (removed) the /boot/grub/core.img file on sda1.
Once Windows boots, it means your BIOS is first looking at sda and booting the Windows bootloader, which is what you want.

Once Windows is booting and running properly, then boot the LiveCD. I don't remember how the Boot Repair app works from the LiveCD. If it lets you pick the partition of the OS and allows you to install only to sdb, then you can use it. Do not use it if it wants you to install to sdb5 or any other partition number.

If you can't use Boot Repair, boot the LiveCD:

Don't install to a partition, only sdb.

Now STOP.
What you have is the Windows bootloader on sda and the GRUB2 bootloader on sdb. In order to now boot Ubuntu, you will need to change the BIOS to boot sdb (your Ubuntu drive) first.

Once you do that, you should get the Grub menu with an option to boot Windows.

If you don't get a Windows option but do get Ubuntu, boot to Ubuntu (not with the CD) and then run:

sudo update-grub

virsto
June 10th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Threads merged.

Threads about the same issue lead to duplication of effort and sometimes confusion. Since the one thread led into the other, and you were still seeking input on both, I've joined them to provide a more complete picture for the 'helpers'.

Thanks for this --- sorry if it caused any problems. ;)

virsto
June 10th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Take things one step at a time.

Get Windows to boot. This would mean you have probably also fixed (removed) the /boot/grub/core.img file on sda1.
Once Windows boots, it means your BIOS is first looking at sda and booting the Windows bootloader, which is what you want.

Once Windows is booting and running properly, then boot the LiveCD. I don't remember how the Boot Repair app works from the LiveCD. If it lets you pick the partition of the OS and allows you to install only to sdb, then you can use it. Do not use it if it wants you to install to sdb5 or any other partition number.

If you can't use Boot Repair, boot the LiveCD:

Don't install to a partition, only sdb.

Now STOP.
What you have is the Windows bootloader on sda and the GRUB2 bootloader on sdb. In order to now boot Ubuntu, you will need to change the BIOS to boot sdb (your Ubuntu drive) first.

Once you do that, you should get the Grub menu with an option to boot Windows.

If you don't get a Windows option but do get Ubuntu, boot to Ubuntu (not with the CD) and then run:

sudo update-grub

Ok, I have followed your suggestions as close as possible but still no solution.
Here is summary of what I did.

1. Placed GRUB on scb (using boot_repair) [actually it was already there]
2. Changed the BIOS to boot from scb (my hd2)

This worked; but did not get an option to boot Windows. But my upgrade to
10.10.4 Ubuntu seems to be working fine.
3. Executed

sudo update-grub and here is the result

root@virgil-desktop:/home/virgil# sudo update-grub
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-28-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-28-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-26-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-26-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
ls: cannot access /var/lib/os-prober/mount/boot
Boot: No such file or directory
done
root@virgil-desktop:/home/virgil#

What next?

Rubi1200
June 10th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Try the following command from within the Ubuntu install:

sudo os-prober

If it tells you the package is not installed, then install it with:

sudo apt-get install os-prober

then run the first command again.

Let us know if this makes a difference (you may want to also run the update-grub command again as well to see if Windows was picked up).

virsto
June 10th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Here are the current RESULTS.txt after running

sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script.sh

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

looks in partition 5 for (,msdos5)/mnt/boot/grub.
looks in partition 5 for (,msdos5)/boot/grub.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

/boot/grub/core.img

sdb1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

sdb2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

sdb3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Boot sector info:

sdb5: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Boot sector info:
Operating System:
Boot files:

sdb6: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Boot sector info:

sdc1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

sdc1 and looks at sector 1141867690 of the same hard
Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

sdd1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

sdd1 and looks at sector 1141867466 of the same hard
Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Drive: sdb __________________________________________________ ___________________

Drive: sdc __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sdc: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes

/dev/sdc1 63 625,137,344 625,137,282 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Drive: sdd __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sdd: 203.9 GB, 203927060480 bytes

/dev/sdd1 63 398,267,414 398,267,352 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

"blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/sdc1 0108-16A0 vfat TREKSTOR
/dev/sdd1 18EC-3E16 vfat MAXTOR

================================ Mount points: =================================

/dev/sdb5 /mnt ext4 (rw)
/dev/sdb5 / ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
/dev/sdc1 /media/TREKSTOR_ vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)
/dev/sdd1 /media/MAXTOR_ vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)

=================== sda1: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

?? = ?? boot/grub/core.img 1

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

/home/virgil/Desktop/boot_info_script.sh: line 2457: cd: /
/mnt/: No such file or directory

Perhaps this can be used to solve the problem.;)

virsto
June 10th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Boot script shows a couple of problems. But have you tried booting from sdb? Change BIOS or one time boot key to select the drive that is sdb - 750GB drive.

It looks like you have installed grub2's boot loader to several partitions. We almost never install to a partition, just MBR or the first sector of a hard drive. Especially with multiple drives you do not need to install grub to a partition. Not sure if it will cause issues with NTFS. I know if it is a boot partition it is a big problem.

In the Vista partition you have another issue as part of grub was installed to it.

Windows is not case sensitive like Ubuntu is. So you have two identical folders from windows view of /boot & /Boot. You need to delete the /boot folder but be careful not to delete /Boot as it has the essential windows file BCD.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:Core_On_Windows

I now went back to your posting (oldfred (#23)) and removed the folder: /boot ,which contained the file /boot/grub/core.img.

This had no effect that I could see. Here is the current RESULTS from boot_info_script.sh

Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

Boot sector info:

Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 10.10
Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

Boot sector info:

sdc1 and looks at sector 1141867690 of the same hard
Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

sdd1 and looks at sector 1141867466 of the same hard
Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

Disk /dev/sdc: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes

/dev/sdc1 63 625,137,344 625,137,282 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Disk /dev/sdd: 203.9 GB, 203927060480 bytes

/dev/sdd1 63 398,267,414 398,267,352 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/sdc1 0108-16A0 vfat TREKSTOR
/dev/sdd1 18EC-3E16 vfat MAXTOR

/dev/sdb5 / ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
/dev/sdc1 /media/TREKSTOR_ vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)
/dev/sdd1 /media/MAXTOR_ vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)

=========================== sdb5/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
#

set have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="10"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}

function load_video {
insmod vbe
insmod vga
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
set gfxmode=640x480
load_video
insmod gfxterm
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
set lang=en
insmod gettext
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=30
fi

menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-28-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-28-generic root=UUID=1c2739db-9258-4b62-b736-be3857c711e9 ro quiet splash
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-28-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.35-28-generic ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-28-generic root=UUID=1c2739db-9258-4b62-b736-be3857c711e9 ro single
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-26-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-26-generic root=UUID=1c2739db-9258-4b62-b736-be3857c711e9 ro quiet splash
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-26-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.32-26-generic ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-26-generic root=UUID=1c2739db-9258-4b62-b736-be3857c711e9 ro single
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
}
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
}

fi

=============================== sdb5/etc/fstab: ================================

#
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
UUID=1c2739db-9258-4b62-b736-be3857c711e9 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sdb6 during installation
UUID=37b8de30-efa4-4e1d-9d8e-f3f48dfa8ec4 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

=================== sdb5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

544.482239723 = 584.633353216 boot/grub/core.img 1
568.605252266 = 610.535240704 boot/grub/grub.cfg 1
563.659920692 = 605.225231360 boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-26-generic 2
563.966832161 = 605.554775040 boot/initrd.img-2.6.35-28-generic 2
561.203656197 = 602.587837440 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-26-generic 1
562.937359810 = 604.449387520 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-28-generic 1
563.966832161 = 605.554775040 initrd.img 2
563.659920692 = 605.225231360 initrd.img.old 2
562.937359810 = 604.449387520 vmlinuz 1
561.203656197 = 602.587837440 vmlinuz.old 1

and as you can see this "rogue" boot file has been removed.

Note, the problem is still there --- unable to get a screen that gives me the possibility to choose either Vista or Ubuntu. If I wish to boot Windows Vista I need to change the disk boot priority back to sda (hd0) --- not convenient :(

drs305
June 10th, 2011, 01:02 PM
virsto,

We are getting close. Please run the commands Rubi1200 provided in Post #28. We have to determine whether os-prober is installed and working. It is not adding an entry into your Grub menu configuration file, so it appears it is not running.

If it is not installed, install os-prober. If it is installed, make sure the script that runs it is executable:

sudo chmod +x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
sudo update-grub
As the second command runs, watch the terminal. If it finds Windows you should see it mentioned as the command runs.

If you still don't get a Windows entry, we can try building a manual custom entry for it.

virsto
June 10th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Try the following command from within the Ubuntu install:

sudo os-proberIf it tells you the package is not installed, then install it with:

sudo apt-get install os-proberthen run the first command again.

Let us know if this makes a difference (you may want to also run the update-grub command again as well to see if Windows was picked up).

Ok! Eureka! :D
Thanks to all of you who did not give up on me and especiallly to Rubi1200 and drs305 who got me on the right track. My system is again working as a dual-boot system (Vista and Ubuntu 10.10.4).

A short summary of my own thoughts on this problem:
1. Have a liveCD for Ubuntu (e.g. Ubuntu 10.04 secure) handy which has the boot_repair program on it.
2. Have a CD (or DVD) that you can use to boot the other operating system (e.g. Windows Vista) handy.
3. Have boot_info_script.sh on your Ubuntu system (see my earlier postings in this thread). The information obtained when this script is executed can be very, very useful for troubleshooting.
4. Warning! boot_repair is a great program; but, it may not always solve your problem (see my earlier postings in this thread).
5. Search the Ubuntu forum for problems that are similar to your own.

Finally, a recommendation.
I am impressed by the Ubuntu development team --- they are doing a fantastic job and just keep rolling out the upgrades. However, I would like to see them take GRUB more seriously, i.e., this seems to be a weak link in the upgrade chain --- I and many others have had many headaches with GRUB when running multiple OS's. It can be useful to have programs like boot_repair and I commend those who write such programs; but, IMHO it would be more useful to have more bells and whistles built into Ubuntu to reduce GRUB problems during the upgrade process.

Best regards, and thanks again! ;)

Rubi1200
June 10th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Excellent! I am really pleased you got this sorted out in the end :D

Please mark this Solved using the Thread Tools near the top of the page.

LG_Auction
June 17th, 2011, 04:28 PM
My problem is I installed Natty 64 bit along side an XP 32.

I can only get the Natty to start. Holding the shift key does not bring up grub. Here is my boot_info_script results. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

=> Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1 of
the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks
for (,msdos5)/boot/grub on this drive.

Boot sector type: Windows XP
Operating System: Windows XP
Boot files: /boot.ini /ntldr /NTDETECT.COM

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Boot sector type: Unknown
Boot sector info:

sda5: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 11.04
Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /grub/core.img
/boot/grub/core.img

sda6: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Boot sector info:

/dev/sda1 * 63 253,180,789 253,180,727 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sda2 253,181,950 488,396,799 235,214,850 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 253,181,952 484,466,687 231,284,736 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 484,468,736 488,396,799 3,928,064 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/sda1 98BC6352BC632A48 ntfs
/dev/sda5 2b85940f-c2bb-4779-b28b-6a69e75aa3bc ext4
/dev/sda6 ee7340b3-c5ba-4f4d-85dd-cb68a6355926 swap

/dev/sda5 / ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)

================================ sda1/boot.ini: ================================

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

=========================== sda5/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
#

set have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="0"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
}

function load_video {
insmod vbe
insmod vga
insmod video_bochs
insmod video_cirrus
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos5)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 2b85940f-c2bb-4779-b28b-6a69e75aa3bc
set gfxmode=auto
load_video
insmod gfxterm
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set lang=en_US
insmod gettext
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi
play 480 440 1

if background_color 44,0,30; then
clear
fi

if [ ${recordfail} != 1 ]; then
if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
set linux_gfx_mode=keep
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=keep
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
export linux_gfx_mode
if [ "$linux_gfx_mode" != "text" ]; then load_video; fi
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=2b85940f-c2bb-4779-b28b-6a69e75aa3bc ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.38-8-generic ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=2b85940f-c2bb-4779-b28b-6a69e75aa3bc ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
}
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
}

menuentry "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (on /dev/sda1)" --class windows --class os {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 98BC6352BC632A48
drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
chainloader +1
}

fi

=============================== sda5/etc/fstab: ================================

#
#
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=2b85940f-c2bb-4779-b28b-6a69e75aa3bc / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=ee7340b3-c5ba-4f4d-85dd-cb68a6355926 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

=================== sda5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

160.864662170 = 172.727115776 boot/grub/core.img 1
144.882915497 = 155.566845952 boot/grub/grub.cfg 1
147.296875000 = 158.158815232 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic 2
160.859378815 = 172.721442816 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic 1
166.852302551 = 179.156295680 grub/core.img 1
147.296875000 = 158.158815232 initrd.img 2
160.859378815 = 172.721442816 vmlinuz 1

======================== Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc: ========================

Unknown BootLoader on sda2

00000000 1d 91 3a 6c ee b1 4a 03 8d a1 80 11 c0 bf 7b be |..:l..J.......{.|
00000010 ce 87 d9 60 1f 64 37 80 3d d5 4b 1f ac a7 3f fa |...`.d7.=.K...?.|
00000020 cd 9e d6 bb e8 df ed e5 df 98 43 42 5e 38 03 80 |..........CB^8..|
00000030 a9 f8 9c ac c6 25 74 bd 7b d7 9c 08 87 2c 6b 5d |.....%t.{....,k]|
00000040 4f a1 13 cd af b5 77 68 0b 5d fc d6 3c a7 d1 53 |O.....wh.]..<..S|
00000050 83 9b 11 c4 c1 4f a4 60 01 0e 3a f8 f9 ad c1 36 |.....O.`..:....6|
00000060 c6 a1 fc a4 7f 0b 71 07 d8 c9 b5 77 b8 2f 6e de |......q....w./n.|
00000070 ec b6 e4 c9 cd a8 60 0d 3e 3f 24 f5 88 47 58 f0 |......`.>?$..GX.|
00000080 42 c2 7f b2 c1 e7 ce 9f 45 a6 f6 a2 6f e5 52 6c |B.......E...o.Rl|
00000090 35 63 d3 d6 cb c3 dc 9d 51 44 73 53 85 19 85 f8 |5c......QDsS....|
000000a0 6f 2e 3f 5b b8 3b 8a 95 7f 60 3f 10 b1 20 0d 3d |o.?[.;...`?.. .=|
000000b0 52 ae a6 46 3d aa 5b 4e 75 13 6f 48 63 60 27 d5 |R..F=.[Nu.oHc`'.|
000000c0 5e 90 38 ac 6a 4b 00 ef 1e 98 8d 1b 53 48 9c 2c |^.8.jK......SH.,|
000000d0 b6 99 a0 16 54 b5 5b 93 b2 c6 0b 10 ef 29 4c 81 |....T.[......)L.|
000000e0 64 e9 5e 7d 5a 86 26 d1 05 ca 90 a3 f9 8a db b3 |d.^}Z.&.........|
000000f0 14 aa 30 2d 43 b2 35 87 72 30 24 cf 97 fe 00 a8 |..0-C.5.r0$.....|
00000100 86 03 df 8f 71 bd 68 fe aa 29 bf 2e 38 7d 70 17 |....q.h..)..8}p.|
00000110 17 b5 1b 74 e3 88 5f 2f 69 01 b8 dc 53 0a b0 a7 |...t.._/i...S...|
00000120 46 e3 b6 ab 61 ac 79 ed 52 cd 20 25 49 97 94 b8 |F...a.y.R. %I...|
00000130 93 34 c8 4f 84 be 67 da 1b 1a 86 03 76 e6 f5 db |.4.O..g.....v...|
00000140 0a 7b 64 c8 e8 01 36 96 d3 8b 97 18 11 8a a7 f3 |.{d...6.........|
00000150 24 72 2d 27 75 d2 7d 6c 08 e5 61 a6 75 fc 06 af |$r-'u.}l..a.u...|
00000160 6e 6c 57 26 9a b1 d0 2b ef ed 68 90 c1 d2 73 47 |nlW&...+..h...sG|
00000170 9a 17 19 e3 4f 7b 72 d9 ef e3 9c 70 f8 8b 05 55 |....O{r....p...U|
00000180 41 f7 68 9e 20 48 aa 95 80 5a b2 ab c5 ec 38 a1 |A.h. H...Z....8.|
00000190 a1 8c 9f 49 57 d0 0a a0 e0 53 ee c7 85 e7 1e b9 |...IW....S......|
000001a0 b1 0e 4c ab a4 09 97 4a 11 48 ac c4 44 48 0d ca |..L....J.H..DH..|
000001b0 98 f7 b0 37 b7 d0 29 e8 a9 e2 b2 a6 e2 3c 00 fe |...7..)......<..|
000001c0 ff ff 83 fe ff ff 02 00 00 00 00 20 c9 0d 00 fe |........... ....|
000001d0 ff ff 05 fe ff ff 02 20 c9 0d 00 f8 3b 00 00 00 |....... ....;...|
000001e0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
000001f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa |..............U.|

unlzma: Decoder error

arubislander
June 17th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I think you should start a new thread for your problem, after trying the solutions posted here that is.

You see, this thread has already been marked solved, so it is unlikely to be revisited by people able to help you.

oldfred
June 17th, 2011, 04:54 PM
LG_Auction, even though the title may be similar to your problem boot issues are almost always unique, so it is better to start your own thread.

I do not see anything in your script that looks unusual. You do have two core.img in different folders but I do not think that is an issue.

Have you just tried:

sudo update-grub

os-prober should find your windows install.

Sorry arubislander, I just copied first name from last post and did not notice your post popped in. See post below.
Maybe oldfred should start paying attention.

arubislander
June 17th, 2011, 05:04 PM
[deleted]