PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Why is not VLC available by default?

shahverdy
June 9th, 2011, 06:34 PM
why not VLC or Mplayer?
why not Pidgin?
why not ...

why are not these stuffs available in ubuntu by default while most people use these ones?

jaacko
June 9th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Mainly because of space available on a CD, I think. There simply isn't enough room for many different IM applications or media players. I personally find the default applications in 11.04 quite good and sufficient for almost everything I need to do. Of course, some people prefer other applications over another but that's why there's the Software Center.

3Miro
June 9th, 2011, 07:07 PM
why not VLC or Mplayer?

Legal issues. There are some legal concerns about the codecs for VLC and Mplayer. Totem (the default) is much faster than either VLC or Mplayer.

why not Pidgin?

I think it has to do with integration with the Gnome environment.

why not ...

why are not these stuffs available in ubuntu by default while most people use these ones?

Not so sure about people using VLC or Pidgin, many are but many are not. It always comes down to legal issues and/or integration with the system and/or relations between Canonical and the corresponding community.

Frogs Hair
June 9th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I use neither application because I don't watch movies on computer and have no need for instant messaging . One reason may be the size of the packages. some packages that were once default have been excluded for this reason . I believe Canonical tries to keep the ISO around 700 Mb .

MartyBuntu
June 9th, 2011, 07:46 PM
why not Pidgin?

I believe Canonical would like to emphasis Empathy.

shahverdy
June 10th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Thanks guys, I think I know the answer now ; )

Elline
June 10th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Use the alternative CD Luke!

Seriously, it is not too hard to install all you want from command line minimal installation, plus you can install not only your favorite applications, but also any environment you want! What definitely must mitigate all the discontent about default ones. And also you will not get all the stuff you not need which comes with Ubuntu desktop for the sake of compatibility.

Really, there is only advantages if you not fear of command line.

shahverdy
June 10th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Use the alternative CD Luke!

Seriously, it is not too hard to install all you want from command line minimal installation, plus you can install not only your favorite applications, but also any environment you want! What definitely must mitigate all the discontent about default ones. And also you will not get all the stuff you not need which comes with Ubuntu desktop for the sake of compatibility.

Really, there is only advantages if you not fear of command line.

thanks for your mentioning dude!
but I don't fear command line! in fact I perefer to use many things in command line that stupid GUI : )
but one advantage of default programs is that most of users have the same direction in ubuntu world : )
I dont say that this is a good way, but it have so many advantages too ; )
consider microsoft windows and power of fuc**ing IE ...

Elline
June 11th, 2011, 12:10 PM
thanks for your mentioning dude!
but I don't fear command line! in fact I perefer to use many things in command line that stupid GUI : )
but one advantage of default programs is that most of users have the same direction in ubuntu world : )
I dont say that this is a good way, but it have so many advantages too ; )
consider microsoft windows and power of fuc**ing IE ...

No problems, I'm just said.
I can't realise, through, which advantages you mention does it gives. Maybe a little more extensive development these "mainstream" applications takes. Anyways it is not a reason for me to install a whole mono runtime for only one application which I also have alternative for. This is just an example.

Anyways I just encounter very often people that complain about default (especially when Unity came) applications, even to the point to switch to another distro!

This is why I mention an alternative CD, because this is not a reason to blame *evil* Canonical, because you can have an alternative and do your preferable installation while conserving all the goodies Ubuntu ecosystem can provide. I doesn't intend to *force* somebody.

Fear of command line I mentioned because it is also very common and cause I has no clues about your prerequisitions.

It is pleasing to see if people make considered choices.
Also, I am not a dude. :p