PDA

View Full Version : Buying NON Windows Tablets?

db260179
June 9th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I Just thought I would ask this question.

Would any of you guys / girls want to buy a NON Windows Tablet or a specific ubuntu tablet?

These days it is quite hard to buy a non windows machine and I myself don't like buying Microsoft tax especially as I remove it straight away and install ubuntu.

What's you thoughts?

Joe of loath
June 9th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I might, but only if it had an ARM processor. X86 is dead in the water for tablets, and will be forever IMHO.

magneze
June 9th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Odd question. It's ridiculously easy to buy a non-windows tablet, in fact I'd say it was probably easier to buy non-windows.

iPad I & II, all the different Android ones, HP webOS ones, BlackBerry Playbook ...

BrokenKingpin
June 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Odd question. It's ridiculously easy to buy a non-windows tablet, in fact I'd say it was probably easier to buy non-windows.

iPad I & II, all the different Android ones, HP webOS ones, BlackBerry Playbook ...
This. I haven't even seen a Windows tablet in a store, but see dozens of Android ones.

As a side note my boss just picked up an Asus Transformer running Android... it is a tablet and netbook in one. It is a very slick device.

Joe of loath
June 9th, 2011, 07:21 PM
This. I haven't even seen a Windows tablet in a store, but see dozens of Android ones.

As a side note my boss just picked up an Asus Transformer running Android... it is a tablet and netbook in one. It is a very slick device.

My physics teacher has one. Probably the most sexy device I've ever seen, and blazingly fast. Anyone who prefers the iPad to that is crazy.

azangru
June 9th, 2011, 08:57 PM
My physics teacher has one. Probably the most sexy device I've ever seen, and blazingly fast. Anyone who prefers the iPad to that is crazy.

Is there anything useful he can do with it? I mean, is there any real productivity software for Android?

Joe of loath
June 9th, 2011, 09:00 PM
He has office software (Can't remember what is is, quickoffice?), he has various applications to keep an eye on and manage his stocks, as well as photo management so he can touch up and upload up to date pictures of his houses to rental websites.

Did I mention he's filthy rich? :p

EDIT: I think it has flash, too.

BrokenKingpin
June 9th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Is there anything useful he can do with it? I mean, is there any real productivity software for Android?
I love the device, but I agree that Android seems limiting to me being a power user... but still way better than IOS lol. I would try and load a full Linux distro on it.

Linuxratty
June 10th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Yeah,if it does not have Linux,it's wasting my time.

Dustin2128
June 10th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Where do you even buy a non-non-windows tablet?

magmon
June 10th, 2011, 04:23 AM
I've actually been looking into the $300 range of Android tablets for a few months. Now, I know that sounds cheap (in the bad sort of way), but I actually found one that has fantastic specs and very decent reviews.

Dustin2128
June 10th, 2011, 04:32 AM
I've actually been looking into the $300 range of Android tablets for a few months. Now, I know that sounds cheap (in the bad sort of way), but I actually found one that has fantastic specs and very decent reviews.
In that range, I'd go for a rooted nook color. I've seen some pretty awesome videos of the capabilities of those things with a full version of android. N64 emulators would probably be the most impressive.

magmon
June 10th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Sounds nice, but the one I'm looking at has a 10.2 inch capacitive touch and specs comprable to the Galaxy tab. Can't pass up that screen =P!

Dustin2128
June 10th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Sounds nice, but the one I'm looking at has a 10.2 inch capacitive touch and specs comprable to the Galaxy tab. Can't pass up that screen =P!
Link?

magmon
June 10th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Link?

And for your second wish? (http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-gTablet-Multi-Touch-Screen-Android/dp/B004EPV7TK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1307678080&sr=1-1)

Dustin2128
June 10th, 2011, 05:06 AM
And for your second wish? (http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-gTablet-Multi-Touch-Screen-Android/dp/B004EPV7TK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1307678080&sr=1-1)
Awesome! Thanks.

magmon
June 10th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Not a problem! Pretty sexy, isn't it?

Joe of loath
June 10th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I've been looking at this one -

http://www.kogan.co.uk/shop/7-inch-tablet-pc-android/

They also sell netbooks, pre-loaded with either Ubuntu 11.04 or Chrome OS. No Windows :D

db260179
June 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM
But can you get Ubuntu running on it? Without much fiddling about.

Most android tablets dont work with ubuntu?

magneze
June 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM
But can you get Ubuntu running on it? Without much fiddling about.

Most android tablets dont work with ubuntu?There's no official ARM support in Ubuntu at the moment. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM

You could probably make it work, with much fiddling.

Android is based on the Linux kernel, but couldn't really be described as Linux.

Joe of loath
June 10th, 2011, 10:36 AM
There are some cheap chinese netbooks and tablets that have had Linux hacked onto them, I'm sure it's possible with other devices too.

3rdalbum
June 10th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I've been looking at this one -

http://www.kogan.co.uk/shop/7-inch-tablet-pc-android/

They also sell netbooks, pre-loaded with either Ubuntu 11.04 or Chrome OS. No Windows :D

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Kogan is one of the brands you should not even consider. They buy from the cheapest manufacturers in China and put their own name on it. You'd be better off with one of Huaweii's or ZTE's tablets; they're also Chinese manufacturers but at least they have some measure of quality control.

I've been looking at the T-Touch Tab (which is a rebranded Huaweii tablet, customised to work on Telstra's network here) but I'd really like to hold out for an Ubuntu tablet. I don't need a tablet; it's just a bit nicer for out-and-about web surfing than my mobile phone.

Joe of loath
June 10th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Looks like I'm back to square one, then XD Maybe I'll go for a ZT-180 after all.

db260179
June 10th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Which means it is not mainstream and viable alternative to x86 tablets.

Looking at the polls people are interested in a Ubuntu tablet.
Would they prefer x86 or ARM?

There's no official ARM support in Ubuntu at the moment. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM

You could probably make it work, with much fiddling.

Android is based on the Linux kernel, but couldn't really be described as Linux.

magneze
June 10th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Um ... what x86 tablets?

Just sticking Ubuntu on a tablet without applications that have been redesigned for touch is a recipe for disaster.

db260179
June 10th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Tell that to Microsoft :-)

Um ... what x86 tablets?

Just sticking Ubuntu on a tablet without applications that have been redesigned for touch is a recipe for disaster.

BrokenKingpin
June 10th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Andoid is basically the Linux kernel (modified a bit) plus a Java virtual machine sitting on top. So I would say it is Linux, just not in the sense of a traditional Linux desktop.

On these mobile devices I would much prefer something that is more like the normal Linux desktop stack: kernel + xorg + gtk/qt interface (like meego).