PDA

View Full Version : Blender 3D

BWF89
March 2nd, 2005, 11:52 PM
I just found this cool GPL'd (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt) program called Blender 3D (http://www.blender3d.org/). From what I've heard it's basically the same stuff they use to make Pixar's Toy Story. I'm trying to learn what everyting does so I can make some simple objects. I figured that some of the more creative types on this website would enjoy playing with it.

I do have one question about B3D though. For those of you who have used CADD is it anything like it (CADD)?

DirtDawg
March 3rd, 2005, 03:02 AM
I haven't used CAD perse, but my dad uses it and we've talked about the comparisons and differences before. CAD is far more "accurate" than Blender. You can specify measurements and whatnot. Also, according to my pop, CAD doesn't have any pre-packaged shapes. So if you want a cube, you gots to make a new cube every time or create a template file.

Anyways, I love Blender. I've been messing with it on and off for about a year and it's great. The learning curve is steep, but worth it. In fact, I've had such a tough time figuring everything out that I'm going to take 3D modeling classes starting in a few weeks (excited!). They use something called "Bryce 5" at school, but I'm hoping there's a file type both Blender and Bryce share so I can model in Blender and render in Bryce.

Speaking of which, 1 thing about Blender: it only does so-so renderings (so-so, NOT "terrible" or even "bad". Usually things turn out looking slightly grainy. Still, there's a plug in called Yayfray which does much better renderings but I've never gotten the thing to work #-o

Blender is sweet. It will treat you right. Good luck!

kassetra
March 3rd, 2005, 04:02 AM
They use something called "Bryce 5" at school, but I'm hoping there's a file type both Blender and Bryce share so I can model in Blender and render in Bryce.

Well... Bryce is typically used for landscapes, and so has many landscapish-type enhancements and features; Blender is an "all-around" 3d app...

About the file types... you can export into DXF files which (in theory because it's being exported as a 3d type of DXF) you can import into Bryce... however... I think going from Blender to Bryce is the wrong way... Bryce is a landscape utility with some limited other 3d uses...

The interfaces are completely different from one another as well... In fact, Bryce uses an interface that has no similarity to any other 3d application. One more thing here, in Bryce you can essentially learn by pointing and clicking... in Blender, you have to learn the "why" behind 3d modeling in order to work with it.

Here is some more information:
Bryce (http://bryce.daz3d.com/)
Blender (http://www.blender3d.com/cms/Features.155.0.html)

lordofkhemenu
March 3rd, 2005, 05:20 AM
Rumor has it -and has been eluded to on the mailing list - that Terragen (http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/) 2 ("TGD") will have a Linux version to go along side the Winbloze and OSX versions. /me is restless with anticipation.
I used to steal spare cpu cycles on my extra computer running 'bloze and created some pretty cool images. (http://mylifeasafischer.com/myphotos/thumbnails.php?album=2)

DirtDawg
March 3rd, 2005, 06:38 AM
About the file types... you can export into DXF files which (in theory because it's being exported as a 3d type of DXF) you can import into Bryce... however... I think going from Blender to Bryce is the wrong way... Bryce is a landscape utility with some limited other 3d uses...

The interfaces are completely different from one another as well... In fact, Bryce uses an interface that has no similarity to any other 3d application. One more thing here, in Bryce you can essentially learn by pointing and clicking... in Blender, you have to learn the "why" behind 3d modeling in order to work with it.

Well, considering I have experience with Blender and none with Bryce yet, sounds like I learned the good stuff first :) There are two reasons for me to model in Blender than transfer to Bryce:

Blender's renderer is somewhat lacking (likely good enough for anything I'll be doing though).
The University has Bryce installed and I've found them to be anal about silly things like this.

On point 2: The professor will likely want to observe my work in native format which means they'll want to see it on Bryce. Unfortunately, most of my class time will most likely be spent learning Bryce interface, then I'll have to go home and try to translate that to Blender.

But now you have me thinking. If I can use these DXF files you mentioned (thanks, by the way), maybe time spent with Bryce will be smaller than I expected. I won't even bother asking the school about installing Blender as I'm sure they've got some rotten contract that would be breached :rolleyes:

DirtDawg
March 3rd, 2005, 06:39 AM
Rumor has it -and has been eluded to on the mailing list - that Terragen (http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/) 2 ("TGD") will have a Linux version to go along side the Winbloze and OSX versions. /me is restless with anticipation.
I used to steal spare cpu cycles on my extra computer running 'bloze and created some pretty cool images (http://www.mylifeasafischer.com/gallery/terragen).

Sweet images, btw. I may use one for desktop background (that is, if it's all the same to you). :D

kassetra
March 3rd, 2005, 06:52 AM
But now you have me thinking. If I can use these DXF files you mentioned (thanks, by the way), maybe time spent with Bryce will be smaller than I expected. I won't even bother asking the school about installing Blender as I'm sure they've got some rotten contract that would be breached :rolleyes:

It might also be possible that someone has created a "live" version of blender you could just pop on a flash drive and use - without installing.

The reason I suggest going from Bryce into Blender is because I don't think Bryce can handle/render most of what Blender can put out... Bryce is fabulous with landscapes, but for objects that you can create in Blender... yeah, it's not so good (and it has a completely difficult way of even making objects other than trees, grass, etc.)

You have to be cautious when making the DXF files... Bryce can only handle DXF files with 3d information (so if you get an error when trying to open a DXF file, it's most likely caused because the file was written with 3d information mapped to a 2d file type)...

Also, since you have learned Blender first, most likely Bryce will confuse the heck out of you at first... Just remember that most everything in Bryce is about two clicks of your mouse.

Buffalo Soldier
March 3rd, 2005, 07:17 AM
A review on Blender 3D at NewsForge.com (http://software.newsforge.com/software/05/02/25/2016200.shtml?tid=131) dated 2nd March 2005.

lordofkhemenu
March 3rd, 2005, 08:54 AM
Sweet images, btw. I may use one for desktop background (that is, if it's all the same to you). :D
Fine by me ;) It was an original creation of my computer and until it becomes a sentient being and demands restitution....
Which one did ya grab?

ThePainter
March 3rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Hi,
Ive been 3Ding for a while now and when I came to Linux I gave Blender a go and went to the tutorials on the main Blender site and did them for a week and turned out a few things but I found it buggy and totally un user friendly and got borde with it.
I have gone back to Anim8or that I used in XP and I run it through wine, it is a freeware down load so I dont think of it as windows.

If your interested in giving it a go then go HERE (http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html) and download it.
It is one .exe file and there is a .pdf help guide that I found as good as a tutorial if it is worked through.

Then install "wine" from synaptic, create a launcher for the file and put the word wine at the beginning of the command.

There are a couple of issues I have found with it like when you open the colour dialog boxes they are blank but if you click on them they appear, apart from that it seem OK.

DirtDawg
March 4th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Fine by me ;) It was an original creation of my computer and until it becomes a sentient being and demands restitution....
Which one did ya grab?

Thanks man. I'm going to grab 2. "Canyon winter high sun" and "mooscape sping" (i assume it's supposed to be "spring" ) have nice colors for a desktop and look big and grandiose. I can't believe how "real" they look. They all look like actual locations.

The reason I suggest going from Bryce into Blender is because I don't think Bryce can handle/render most of what Blender can put out... Bryce is fabulous with landscapes, but for objects that you can create in Blender... yeah, it's not so good (and it has a completely difficult way of even making objects other than trees, grass, etc.)

You have to be cautious when making the DXF files... Bryce can only handle DXF files with 3d information (so if you get an error when trying to open a DXF file, it's most likely caused because the file was written with 3d information mapped to a 2d file type)...

Also, since you have learned Blender first, most likely Bryce will confuse the heck out of you at first... Just remember that most everything in Bryce is about two clicks of your mouse.

Man this is good stuff to know. Thank you. I'll keep an eye out for this stuff. Good thing I didn't find out after spending hours doing an assignment, bring it to school only to find it wouldn't open, then get a big, fat "F". Of course, I'm not really sure about everything you're talking about means (that's why I'm going to school!), but it's nice to be forewarned.

Ive been 3Ding for a while now and when I came to Linux I gave Blender a go and went to the tutorials on the main Blender site and did them for a week and turned out a few things but I found it buggy and totally un user friendly and got borde with it.
I have gone back to Anim8or that I used in XP and I run it through wine, it is a freeware down load so I dont think of it as windows.

Again and again I've heard people talk about Blender's rotten interface. I'm not sure if it's because I've learned on Blender, but I don't see it. I think it works like a champ. On the other hand, I've never had a chance to play with the big boys (3D Max, Maya) so who knows what I'm missing.

I looked at anim8tor before and it looked nice. I didn't try it though because I couldn't find very many reviews about it and it looked to me like there was just the one guy developing it. I took this to mean it was immature. But now maybe I'll give it a shot.

I feel kind of bad, we've totally hijacked this thread from the original poster. Sorry! :|

DirtDawg
March 4th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Yeah. I just set the "Moonscape Spring" as my desktop. It's niiiiiiiiiiice.