PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop won't awake from screen saver mode

mrappe
June 9th, 2011, 01:36 PM
-I have a computer here at work with ver 9.04 and it works fine. I just installed 11.04 on a other machine and when The screen stays on screen saver mode for a long time I cannot get it to come out. The mouse moves but nothing will seem to wake it up and display the desktop. Everything is as was installed (defaults). I must say that i am very disappointed with the new desktop. It looks pretty but it is sluggish and hard to understand. I think I might have to try something else. How do you remove Unity and install Gnome?

webofunni
June 9th, 2011, 02:36 PM
are you able to get into the console while its in screen saver. Try it by pressing CTRL + ALT + F1

Yes, in the login screen, there is a option to select classic desktop, which is Gnome

mrappe
June 9th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I did not see the way to switch to Gnome on the login screen but somehow I found it in one of the configuration utilities.

webofunni
June 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM
In the login screen select the user and click, it will show the password box. In the bottom bar you can see a option to select the desktop environment

bobardu
June 9th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I, too, have had this problem with the latest version. I run in the 'Ubuntu classic' mode when logging in and I have had to power off my system to get out of the screen saver. I am running on a Samsung netbook, NC10.