PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the unecessary quoting of previous post???

Bucky Ball
June 9th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Hi all,

I am disturbed by this trend. Why, oh, why do people find it necessary to quote the post immediately before theirs??? I have seen a lengthy post #1 quoted in the second post in full for absolutely no reason. The second poster was not trying to address a particular point of the OP. Just a quote for the heck of it.

What is more frustrating about this practice is that often a lengthy post is quoted in full and the second poster then asks a ten word question or gives a short command line instruction that would have been just dandy without the quote. Doesn't need the quote for support. The quote has no purpose to clarify the reply whatever.

This practice is a waste of space and time and I really wish people would quit doing it before the trend really takes off. If you're going to quote another user, just quote the bit(s) of their post that you are addressing in your post. We know what the original OP is on about, there is absolutely no point in a full quote of what they just posted (especially when it is a thousand words). Why repeat what they just wrote?

If this trend takes off there would be four posts a page. We know what you're on about, know what the OP is on about. If there's any confusion we'll let you know.

My rant for the day, thanks for your time ... now stop it! Quote only if there is a reason and/or purpose, for clarity and/or focus. Don't give new forum members the idea that this is good practice and 'rule of thumb'.

THINK BEFORE QUOTING, HAVE A REASON FOR QUOTING, DON'T JUST DO IT FOR THE SAKE OF IT. ;)

Maybe I should start one of those kooky, amusing threads - Quote the user before you - to satisfy the craving! Now, that is the best idea I've had today. Obviously a slow day ...

mmsmc
June 9th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Hi all,

I am disturbed by this trend. Why, oh, why do people find it necessary to quote the post immediately before theirs??? I have seen a lengthy post #1 quoted in the second post in full for absolutely no reason. Not trying to address a particular point of the OP. Just a quote for the heck of it.

This practice is a waste of space and time and I really wish people would quit doing it before the trend really takes off. If you're going to quote another user, just quote the bit that's relevant to your post. We know what the original OP is on about, there is absolutely no point in a full quote of what they just posted. Why have it twice? If everyone did it there would be four posts a page.

My rant for the day, thanks for your time ... now stop it! ;)

every body is allowed to rant :)

and if it is a popular thread, then one might want to be specific about who they are talking to

Thewhistlingwind
June 9th, 2011, 05:55 AM
every body is allowed to rant :smile:

and if it is a popular thread, then one might want to be specific about who they are talking to

Yeah, OP, I honestly doubt it will ever catch on, don't worry about it.

mmsmc
June 9th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Yeah, OP, I honestly doubt it will ever catch on, don't worry about it.

oops

Bucky Ball
June 9th, 2011, 06:09 AM
oops

Let's turn this into the 'Quote the User Before You' thread I was talking about. LOL. No, don't I am going to start one. I'll post the link back here. ;)

My quote above serves no purpose.

... one might want to be specific about who they are talking to

My point exactly! You can do that by extracting the bit you are talking about rather than quoting the whole post. Or simply by addressing your post to the user you are referring to.

My second quote served a purpose. I wanted to address something specific in your post.

mmsmc
June 9th, 2011, 06:12 AM
cool, i agree to though, the quotes are quite long and get on my nerves. but I personally think that this trend wont last very long

Copper Bezel
June 9th, 2011, 06:13 AM
I generally quote a snippet of a particular post I'm responding to, even if it's the last one in the thread, just in case someone else posts in between the point at which I start typing and the point at which I post. Otherwise, quick responses might not make clear enough reference to the posts they're meant in response to.

I also break up big posts and respond to each sentence as if it existed in its own private universe, to irritate el_koraco.

doas777
June 9th, 2011, 06:13 AM
I hear what you are saying, and it has merit. as a result, it will never fly. ever.

dmizer
June 9th, 2011, 06:36 AM
You can do that by extracting the bit you are talking about rather than quoting the whole post.

While I usually do this, I have noticed that some people get offended if you modify their post even in a quote. Also, some people want to clarify what and who they are responding to while respecting the integrity of the quoted poster's entire text.

Bucky Ball
June 9th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Hi all,

A disturbing trend has come to my attention: users quoting the post above them for no apparent reason when responding to an OP.

The end result is a post of the previous (often lengthy) post, often with the only input from the poster being, 'What video card are you using,' or, 'SATA or IDE?'. These are the only things not included in the original post so why would you quote it? Simpler would be 'USERXYZ, what video card are you using?' if you really want to make sure the right person is seeing your response.

For my full rant on this see here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1778388

So, to drive my point home, and for the satisfaction of those who can't resist quoting the post above them for no purpose, I have posted this thread.

This practice must cease! And you can quote me on that. Go right ahead. ;)

EDIT: THERE IS A PROVISO! I stipulate that your response to the quote of the post above you must have nothing to do with the quote.

PS: NO multi-quotes. You must only quote the post above you and provide a response to which the quote has no relevance to.

Bucky Ball
June 9th, 2011, 06:47 AM
This for you Macskeeball, and all others that can't resist quoting the post above them. The 'Quote the post above you' thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10919223#post10919223

I am not, incidentally, referring to quotes for a specific purpose/reason or clarity, this is only about quoting entire posts for no reason at all. Addressing the user by name is adequate if that is the intention (rather than posting a thousand words the previous user has just posted).

Legendary_Bibo
June 9th, 2011, 07:06 AM
yeeeehaaaawwww

tl;dr OP

Bucky Ball
June 9th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Hi all,

A disturbing trend has come to my attention: users quoting the post above them for no apparent reason when responding to an OP.

The end result is a post of the previous (often lengthy) post, often with the only input from the poster being, 'What video card are you using,' or, 'SATA or IDE?'. These are the only things not included in the original post so why would you quote it? Simpler would be 'USERXYZ, what video card are you using?' if you really want to make sure the right person is seeing your response.

For my full rant on this see here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1778388

So, to drive my point home, and for the satisfaction of those who can't resist quoting the post above them for no purpose, I have posted this thread.

This practice must cease! And you can quote me on that. Go right ahead. ;)

EDIT: THERE IS A PROVISO! I stipulate that your response to the quote of the post above you must have nothing to do with the quote.

yeeeehaaaawwww

Are you using a CPU fan? Oops. A multi-quote. I hereby ban multi-quotes. ONLY the post above you.

earthpigg
June 9th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Are you using a CPU fan? Oops. A multi-quote. I hereby ban multi-quotes. ONLY the post above you.

Ya, it was the stock CPU fan that came with my i7.

Do you believe me to be a heathen?

pastalavista
June 9th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Ya, it was the stock CPU fan that came with my i7.

Do you believe me to be a heathen?

You should have said so in the first place. Heathens call foul.

jarfish
June 9th, 2011, 07:27 AM
You should have said so in the first place. Heathens call foul.

So how is the weather up there

cpmman
June 9th, 2011, 07:29 AM
So how is the weather up there

Where's Belguim?

pastalavista
June 9th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Where's Belguim?

Evasive maneuvers, Sulu!

cpmman
June 9th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evasive maneuvers, Sulu!

:lolflag:

Ground or instant?

Bucky Ball
June 9th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evasive maneuvers, Sulu!

I've created a monster! lol

And thus Frankenstein retired to the shower ...

cpmman
June 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I've created a monster! lol

And thus Frankenstein retired to the shower ...

Fowl

Paqman
June 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Why, oh, why do people find it necessary to quote the post immediately before theirs???

Because on relatively fast moving forums such as this you can't be sure someone won't get a post in between you and the post you're replying to.

Elfy
June 9th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Fowl

or foul

Please use this thread to carry on.http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1392225

Closed.

Bucky Ball
June 9th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Not talking about that. That is relevant. I'm talking about something like this:

Hi all,

I am disturbed by this trend. Why, oh, why do people find it necessary to quote the post immediately before theirs??? I have seen a lengthy post #1 quoted in the second post in full for absolutely no reason. The second poster was not trying to address a particular point of the OP. Just a quote for the heck of it.

What is more frustrating about this practice is that often a lengthy post is quoted in full and the second poster then asks a ten word question or gives a short command line instruction that would have been just dandy without the quote. Doesn't need the quote for support. The quote has no purpose to clarify the reply whatever.

This practice is a waste of space and time and I really wish people would quit doing it before the trend really takes off. If you're going to quote another user, just quote the bit(s) of their post that you are addressing in your post. We know what the original OP is on about, there is absolutely no point in a full quote of what they just posted (especially when it is a thousand words). Why repeat what they just wrote?

If this trend takes off there would be four posts a page. We know what you're on about, know what the OP is on about. If there's any confusion we'll let you know.

My rant for the day, thanks for your time ... now stop it! Quote only if there is a reason and/or purpose, for clarity and/or focus. Don't give new forum members the idea that this is good practice and 'rule of thumb'.

THINK BEFORE QUOTING, HAVE A REASON FOR QUOTING, DON'T JUST DO IT FOR THE SAKE OF IT. ;)

Maybe I should start one of those kooky, amusing threads - Quote the user before you - to satisfy the craving! Now, that is the best idea I've had today. Obviously a slow day ...

There wouldn't be four posts a page, there would be five.

Which could be easily achieved by this:

If this trend takes off there would be four posts a page.There wouldn't be four posts a page, there would be five.

... which is exactly what you did, Paqman. You quoted the relevant bit. Quite logical and serves a purpose.

mmsmc
June 9th, 2011, 01:16 PM
u mad?

well?

matt_symes
June 9th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I hear what you are saying, and it has merit. as a result, it will never fly. ever.

:popcorn:

At least the trend on quoting multiple entire threads has not taken off.

mmsmc
June 9th, 2011, 01:26 PM
yes, we NEED quote thread option

sffvba[e0rt
June 9th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I got to page 2 and the only thing I could think was, "How is this thread still open?"

JustinR
June 9th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I understand the OP fully. I can't stand it when someone quotes a whole page length post just to put something miniscule under it like '+1'. I don't care if someone quotes someone else. People just need to realize it's annoying to have to scroll through a thread especially when posts are becoming redundant.

Thewhistlingwind
June 9th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Why waste the forums limited resources like this?

It's not like they're not already running out........

forrestcupp
June 10th, 2011, 01:10 AM

It's not like they're not already running out........

Because they just got new servers that are waiting to be filled. :)

Bucky Ball
June 10th, 2011, 04:30 AM

My original (and serious) point exactly, or one of them. Posting someone else's long post to simply put +1 or 'what video card are you using' does just that'; it wastes time, energy, and space on the server(s).

PhillyPhil
June 10th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Maybe, but without quotes how to you know that's who he was replying to?

magmon
June 10th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I do it occasionally out of pure paranoia. "What if someone posts before me? Like, seconds before?? Then, my reply to the person who should have been above me will no longer be contextually relevent!"

Bucky Ball
June 10th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Phillyphil, magmon, you both know I am addressing you, right? It wouldn't matter where in the thread this post ended up. And, by coincidence, someone else did post while I was writing this! Makes no diff. ;)

I didn't need a quote to do it. What I'm talking about is when the quote serves no purpose (especially 500 word quotes, unless you are going to address every point in that 500 word quote, in which case you would want to break it up for clarity anyhow). It's not there for clarity or to identify a particular problem. It's just a quote floating uselessly in space and taking up space.

Like I say, what is the point of quoting a 500 word post only to ask, 'What graphics card are you using?'. If you're asking then that information was not in the quote, the quote's not relevant in any way and shouldn't be there!

What's the matter with, 'USERXYZ, what graphics card are you using?'. Saves a lot of time, space and scrolling. Gives us more time to help others rather than wading through redundant repetition. ;)

sffvba[e0rt
June 10th, 2011, 05:53 AM
My original (and serious) point exactly, or one of them. Posting someone else's long post to simply put +1 or 'what video card are you using' does just that'; it wastes time, energy, and space on the server(s).

Well any point you may have had has been made void by this thread turning into (yet another) farce...

aysiu
June 10th, 2011, 06:04 AM
A little bit of poking fun is okay, but some of the posts seriously began to derail this thread, so I've moved them to a new thread. Knock yourselves out!
Quote too much (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1779125)