PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Ubuntu Studio 64-bit alternate disc? Auto-raid/lvm? (Going from 9.10 to current.)

Th3Professor
June 9th, 2011, 02:56 AM
"You are using Ubuntu 9.10 - the Karmic Koala - released in October 2009 and supported until April 2011."

I'm a bit rusty at Linux, I've been so busy with real-life responsibilities that I'm out of practice with *nix in general. I've just been using the old 9.10 version on that system and just ignoring the "no longer supported" pop-ups, though I'd like to bump that system up to the current release.

A few things that I can remember about that computer:

64-bit
raid5/lvm (softraid)
multiple HDDs, multiple partitions, different system installs
(and the specific Ubuntu system is Ubuntu Studio)

I can't remember whether or not I installed the OS on the raid/lvm set-up or on an independent HDD. I think it's a separate drive.

Looking back, it looks like I went from 8.10 to 9.10 with a fresh install via alternate disc, which the raid/lvm set-ups apparently were automatically recognized and automatically set-up. I don't know if that's still the case, for moving up from 9.10 to 11.04. (11.04 is current, right?)

Will I have to manually enter commands for the raid & lvm before/after the fresh install?

What should I do to move up from 9.10 to current?

Go with the Ubuntu Studio 64-bit alternate install disc?

Create backups?

There's a lot of data, running low on free space, and don't have quick/easy means of backing up the large amounts of content.

Edit - How do I save my system settings, i.e., application icons, notification icons, etc. in the icon trays, and any/all other settings?

I understand that the fresh install will reset everything. That is not cool. All the setting up of everything all over again. But I don't think there's any other choice. (?)

Th3Professor
June 9th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Over 50 other threads in this forum have received replies since I posted this thread yesterday. I'd greatly appreciate any replies.

Will I have to manually enter commands for the raid & lvm before/after the fresh install?

What should I do to move up from 9.10 to current, go with the Ubuntu Studio 64-bit alternate install disc?

Create backups? (Or, are there safe alternatives to upgrading without having to create backups?)

(If I do have to go through the hassle of a complete reinstall...) How do I save my system settings, i.e., application icons, notification icons, etc. in the icon trays, and any/all other settings?

Thank you.

Update - also, a long time ago I used a command to list every single program currently installed on the system, it was in the command line, but I forgot the command. Any ideas what that might be? Thanks! (That will make it easier to set things back to normal again if I have to reinstall the entire system.)