PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Open Office upgrade..How do I install it?

rye37
June 8th, 2011, 11:54 PM
in the Http://Linux questions..the URL is too long to copy by hand, and this won't allow "paste"
There is a tutorial installing debian linux.
It calls for downloading a bin file (java) first. I did so, and created a folder on the desktop in which to store it..

The download file asked me to choose an application with which to open it. I tried the new follder, but was unsuccessful.
The tutorial then asked me to download the app. I was unable to do so.

I gave up on that tutorial.

I tried another. It sent me to the synaptic package manager and asked me to search for Open Office. I was able to do that, but then the tutorial asked me to check the box next to openoffice.org. There is no such thing.
it asked me to check "Mark for installation" but the choices were blacked out.
Needless to say, this was another failure.

The Day before, I'd tried to install a downloaded incarnation of 3.3, but was unsuccessful. I deleted the dowloaded package, but not before filling up the synaptic package manager with files which (of course) I was unable to install.

I've been trying to install open office for several days, and I'm in worse shape now than I was before I started.

wildmanne39
June 9th, 2011, 06:59 AM
in the Http://Linux questions..the URL is too long to copy by hand, and this won't allow "paste"
There is a tutorial installing debian linux.
It calls for downloading a bin file (java) first. I did so, and created a folder on the desktop in which to store it..

The download file asked me to choose an application with which to open it. I tried the new follder, but was unsuccessful.
The tutorial then asked me to download the app. I was unable to do so.

I gave up on that tutorial.

I tried another. It sent me to the synaptic package manager and asked me to search for Open Office. I was able to do that, but then the tutorial asked me to check the box next to openoffice.org. There is no such thing.
it asked me to check "Mark for installation" but the choices were blacked out.
Needless to say, this was another failure.

The Day before, I'd tried to install a downloaded incarnation of 3.3, but was unsuccessful. I deleted the dowloaded package, but not before filling up the synaptic package manager with files which (of course) I was unable to install.

I've been trying to install open office for several days, and I'm in worse shape now than I was before I started.

Hi, lets see if I can help you, please when you post please post with normal size letter's so it does not take up so much space. Open office comes with ubuntu in all releases before natty,natty comes with libre office which is the same thing with a different name, they are already installed. For all other packages you want to install I am going to give you this guide. Hi, click on this first link and at the first package it has openoffice click install.
http://appnr.com/order/popcon-desc
For installing other software take a look here.
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 9th, 2011, 07:14 AM
If you want the very latest version of OpenOffice/LibreOffice installed on your Ubuntu system you can try this tutorial:

http://cinderbox.net/2011/03/29/libreoffice-ubuntu-ppa-makes-installation-easy/