PDA

View Full Version : Do's and don't

cguy
June 8th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Don't use Linux if you plan to print.

Don't use Windows if you plan on using hardware or software.

Just saying...

I'm having the most frustrating experience EVER with printing 60 pages. Just as many were printed stupidly and now I have to print them one by one, modifying settings every 2 minutes.

Nevermind the bugs, though! We have Unity! And a stupid taskbar in Windows!

Edit: Oh, yea. When concluded, it would have taken 3 hrs! For 60 pages!!!

Aquix
June 9th, 2011, 12:08 AM
3 hours for 60 pages wasn't bad back in the day.
Think of it as retro :P

LowSky
June 9th, 2011, 12:42 AM
3 minutes a page? That makes no sense? Even if you went into the document and hit print for each page it couldn't take that long.

So let me get this straight Windows has a hardware problem? What version are you using, If its XP I understand that, it doesn't have a feature for finding the driver over the net. Newer versions do and are pretty good at it. As for Linux printing: I don't know what printer you have but don't blame Linux, blame the printer's manufacturer for not supporting Linux operating systems.

Mr. Shannon
June 9th, 2011, 12:56 AM
As for Linux printing: I don't know what printer you have but don't blame Linux, blame the printer's manufacturer for not supporting Linux operating systems.

Agreed, I have a HP printer/scanner and except for Ubuntu not realizing when I replace the ink cartridges it works without any setup at all.

gopherofdoom
June 9th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I can happily state that I have a lovely Epson printer which works flawlessly with Ubuntu. AFAIK printer compatibility is a matter of check-before-you-shop regarding Linux -- annoying when you learn it the hard way though.

cgroza
June 9th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Having a HP Deskjet which runs perfectly. No problems at all with this system.

uRock
June 9th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Having a HP Deskjet which runs perfectly. No problems at all with this system.

+1 My HP DeskJet is old and yellowed but works great.

cgroza
June 9th, 2011, 02:47 AM
+1 My HP DeskJet is old and yellowed but works great.
Mine is new and black...:D:D:D

swoll1980
June 9th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I have a new HP eprint. Works flawlessly. I checked for compatibility before I made the purchase. Can't seem to get it to print wirelessly from Win7 for some reason though. I guess those boys in Redmond just aren't ready for the desktop. /sarcasm

Macskeeball
June 9th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I guess those boys in Redman just aren't ready for the desktop. /sarcasm

Redmond

My HP DeskJet 935C from 2001 works great with Linux, and my family didn't even research that before buying. The only weird thing is it gets detected as a 930C.

RedLeg217
June 9th, 2011, 03:53 AM
My HP 6500 works great! I just can't figure out how to print in "draft" mode so that it uses less ink.

Bandit
June 9th, 2011, 03:58 AM

Just saying...

or DO!!

Check your printer to compatibility issues.

or DO!!

Install newer printer drivers.

or DO!!

Check the forums for Printing issues and possible fixes and workarounds..

or DONT!!

Assume everything will be peachy!!

/THREAD =D>

mmsmc
June 9th, 2011, 05:48 AM

Just saying...

ummmm..... my new favorite quote:lolflag:

unknownPoster
June 9th, 2011, 09:38 AM

You do realize that you've contradicted yourself with your post right?

If you wanted your printer to work perfectly, I can guarantee it would work with Windows, assuming the printer isn't terribly old.

So maybe you should change it to:

Don't use Linux if you plan on using hardware or software (such as your printer.)
Use Windows if you want your hardware to work as the manufacturer intended.

robsoles
June 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM
You do realize that you've contradicted yourself with your post right?

Don't use Linux if you plan on using hardware or software (such as your printer.)

I think cguy's version indicates less experience with computers and your version indicates a basic loathing of Linux. I am not saying that I think you have a basic loathing of Linux, I am saying I like cguy's version better.

Not so many years ago I went through heaps of hardware that I couldn't make completely functional using Linux (CentOS3) - nowadays I encourage my clients (new & old) to switch to Linux (Ubuntu) and of several converts they are yet to present me with equipment I can't make work for them.

One client didn't gel with Ubuntu and I told them I would like them to buy themselves a shiny new copy of Windows 7 and make me install it for them - they didn't burst into tears or anything, I just got too many clues, from the particular types of assistance requested over the course of 3 months, and have firmly suggested it.

el_koraco
June 9th, 2011, 10:58 AM

Maybe the OP has had some trouble with hardware and software on Windows, and only trouble with printers on Linux?

gopherofdoom
June 9th, 2011, 11:13 AM
The only weird thing is it gets detected as a 930C.
My guess is it's because the two models work on exactly the same driver, I have the same kinda situation with my printer.

grahammechanical
June 9th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I think that this is a the toast always lands on the buttered side when you drop it, kind of thing.

It has often been my experience that whenever I need to print something important and I want it to look perfect and I am in a hurry, then somehow the printing gets messed up. When printing a large document I never notice that the printing is being messed up until the print run is finished.

This has been my experience when using Windows at home and at work. I do not print at home in Ubuntu because my motherboard does not have a parallel connector and so my old printer is useless. And I have no need to buy a USB connected printer.

Regards.

Swagman
June 9th, 2011, 12:37 PM
My Canon ip5300 works great too

Ink is getting damn expensive though !!

smellyman
June 9th, 2011, 01:17 PM
it's the digital age. I don't own a printer or print.

Bart_D
June 9th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I have found that HP printers have excellent Linux support.

Out of the box support in recent(2 or 3) versions of Ubuntu is what I've experienced (usb connection). Even a network HP printer worked brilliantly in Ubuntu....just had to search for it on the network and it worked perfectly.

By comparison, Fedora 15 CANNOT pick up a SHARP network printer. THAT is simply unacceptable. It's a real shame, if you ask me. Sometimes, I just have to laugh at the lack of options printer available in Linux.

BrokenKingpin
June 9th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I have no issues with my printer Canon printer on Linux. I have it networked through my home linux server, and all other computers in the house can print to it without issues (from Windows and Linux).

With a little research upfront there is no reason you can't find a 100% compatible printer for Linux.

sanderd17
June 9th, 2011, 04:49 PM
it's the digital age. I don't own a printer or print.

:lolflag: Same for me :lolflag:

Blasphemist
June 9th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I too try to limit my printing for the cost and I've run out of room for notebooks:D

But, my Epson Workforce 40 cheap printer is plugged into my wireless router and I print to it from any pc (no one is using windows, just ubuntu and mint). It was very easy to set up in linux, the windows installs had to have the product cd but not linux.

cguy
June 9th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Now that the frustration is over :D, let me elaborate on the whole deal:

On Linux, the problem was not related to the drivers (albeit they aren't as good as they are on Windows - I was using an HP, btw), but rather to the "Print" dialogues. For example: what does print "Print even pages" mean when you want to print all pages? How about when you want to print a range of pages? Or a single page? Or a sequence of ranges of pages?

Apparently, it means:
a) actual even pages (2,4..)
b) even pages within the sequence, which could very well mean pages 3,5...
c) if you want to print even pages, but you specify "Print current page", which is e.g. 3, you will get the very insightful message that "an error has occurred" - not when you click "Print", but inside the "Printing jobs" screen. Stupid.

And does "fast draft" regarding colored sections mean invisible printing, even with a new cartridge? <_<

And those artifacts from the previous page? What's up with those? How about the page which was 90% printed, then discarded and then printed again?

Overall, a very frustrating experience.

Windows proved to be pathetic, as always, throwing an error that there's an issue with my perfectly running printer and then wasting many minutes on opening stupid troubleshooting dialogues.
It should better troubleshoot itself on why it takes so long to do anything. (Win7, a well kept installation)
Or maybe it was reinventing troubleshooting methods, drivers and annoying windows. Nice!

I'm so sick and tired of having headaches because of the problems which should have solved ages ago...

robsoles
June 9th, 2011, 10:47 PM
OK, sounds like a dodgy printer then :)

tumbes2000
June 9th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I have two dell mutlifunction printers that are networked in my office and I had a pretty easy time setting them up in ubuntu. Just had to grab the drivers from Dell.

Dry Lips
June 9th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Our Konica Minolta PagePro 1390 doesn't work in Linux.
That's what you have XP running in VirtualBox for!