PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Login screen wont let me choose user

Rei_Theta
June 8th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Hi,

I have recently re-installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop and have encountered an unusual error. It boots up fine, but when I get to the login screen, it just shows the Ubuntu logo, and underneath my computer name with no options for choosing which user to login as. I have tried going into recovery, but it just stops loading.

Any ideas? If needed I can try to upload an image of what the window looks like

Thanks

jerrrys
June 8th, 2011, 11:31 PM
did you loose this user? try to create a user

Rei_Theta
June 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I dont think so, I dont have any selectable users and I can't access the recovery mode or terminal

Fisher_
June 9th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Press ctrl+alt+f1 in the login screen. Then try to login with your user and report back to us :)

Rei_Theta
June 9th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I have tried that and nothing happens :(

Fisher_
June 9th, 2011, 11:11 AM
As in you can't even switch to the console?

If it's a fresh installed Ubuntu copy, I find it unusual.. unless the installation was corrupted. What method did you use to burn the copy? (CD, USB...?)

Rei_Theta
June 9th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Yes, when I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 nothing happens. I used USB first, but last night I re-installed on the same partition using a CD to see if it would make any difference.

EDIT: Both were fresh from Ubuntu's website. Ages ago I tried to get the CD to work and I had problems so I used USB. Both worked fine this time round though.

EDIT 2: Picture below shows the login screen when I try to login. Now when I try to login I also get a Glib error, mentioning bad user id which hasnt occurred before :/. Ctrl+Alt+F1 definately doesn't work either, plus I still cant get into Recovery mode. What do?

EDIT 3: I have discovered why the terminal wasn't showing, for some reason the drivers for my keyboard weren't installed, so now I can get into the terminal using the on-screen keyboard, but obviously I can't type anything. Am I going to have to waste money on a USB keyboard? :/

FINAL EDIT: No worries, have solved it now :)