PDA

View Full Version : Has facebook superceded instant messaging?

brawnypandora0
June 8th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Do you find you or your friends using facebook more often than instant messaging?

aysiu
June 8th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Do you find you or your friends using facebook more often than instant messaging?
I actually don't use instant messaging at all.

Most of the time I'll communicate by Facebook. For friends far away, email comes in second place.

The preferred method for coordinating in-person get-togethers for local friends is Facebook or text message. Very rarely do I talk on the phone.

Thewhistlingwind
June 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I don't use facebook.

So I guess that means no?

IWantFroyo
June 8th, 2011, 11:18 PM
One of the biggest parts of Facebook is the IM client. I use that more than anything else on Facebook.

I prefer email for anything other than an easy chat.

speedwell68
I have a Facebook account but I never use it, but I don't use instant messaging either. I do use Twitter, but very few of my friends are on it. So, for me at least, I would say no.

lisati
A few years ago, some of my in-laws discovered Skype and were using it in connection with a project we were involved with. Needless to say, I signed up. Now that the project turned to custard, I've got no real need for it...

These days I hang around Facebook a little bit because it has some value in helping me keep touch with another group of people with common interests.

Having said that, email and the telephone seem to do me well for most communications.

fatality_uk
June 8th, 2011, 11:29 PM
What's a facebook?

el_koraco
June 8th, 2011, 11:31 PM
The IM client on Facebook sucks so badly I don't even have the will to use it to hit on girls anymore. Sure, you can pipe it to Empathy or Pidgin, but then it's not really superceding IM. And since they introduced the new message style I don't use that either. In fact, my last status update on FB was like two months ago. I'd delete the account, if it weren't for vetting possible dates.

whatthefunk
June 8th, 2011, 11:31 PM
The facebook chat is slow and buggy. Its a pain in the *** sometimes so I dont use it too much.

CraigPaleo
June 8th, 2011, 11:54 PM
IM is annoying! I don't use it at all. I have it disabled on FB and Gmail. I'd really rather be able to reply in my own sweet time.

For me, FB, email, and texting have superseded IM.

LowSky
June 9th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Wow a lot of people here don't like to communicate.

I use Pidgin to chat with my Facebook friends, mostly girls. Used to be AIM but most people have given up on it.

Sadly no one likes to use a phone to directly communicate these days. Everything comes in via text message. I find it annoying when a conversation could take 3 minutes on a phone but instead takes 50 minutes texting back and forth.

Jamie_Dolan
June 9th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I use facebook because I am still in college and some professors will make facebook groups because so many people use it. As for instant messaging I will use facebook because I don't see the point in anything else because I am not big on instant messaging unless I am playing an MMO. I use an IRC client to communicate with A&M's Linux users group and thats about it. I noticed a lot of people commented about using facebook IM for talking to girls... lol we don't necessarily like guys always harassing us on facebook ;)

Thewhistlingwind
June 9th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Wow a lot of people here don't like to communicate.

No offense to anyone here, but if you read the logo in the top left corner of this page, it should explain your perceived phenomena.

I've probably known people on bulletin boards who knew more about me then any friends I've ever had in "reality".

Jamie_Dolan
June 9th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I've probably known people on bulletin boards who knew more about me then any friends I've ever had in "reality".

This is true, I feel more connected with people that have a common interest.

tiedfinals
June 9th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Yes. Since I used Facebook chat, I barely use YM because there too many spammers and bots and hackers lingering YM.

screaminj3sus
June 9th, 2011, 03:30 AM
facebook chat is instant messaging.

I still mostly use aim.

Macskeeball
June 9th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Pah, instant messaging. Meh. My friends and I carve our messages into stone tablets and deliver them to each other by Pony Express. We still use chat speak though, and one line per tablet.

wewantutopia
June 9th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I definitely use instant messaging more than facebook. I only go on facebook for maybe 2 or 3 minutes at a time to read the feed for the people i don't have on ignore. I have the facebook IM client set to "offline" always because no one needs to know when I'm on facebook or not.

That being said, I almost always have my computer on with pidgin running (with ALL my IM accounts logged in). If someone IMs me I don't always answer, but rather treat it as an answering machine and I'll reply either when I next see the message or when I feel like it. My friends know this as well. If it was something urgent that needed a response promptly they would have called or sent me a text.

earthpigg
June 9th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I graduated high school in 2001, and have had the same IM names since high school.

Right now, at 9:30 PM on a Wed night.

22 online from AIM (my high school was all AIM)
4, yahoo
2, MSN
3, gchat
13, facebook

I stopped giving out or asking for AIM names many years ago. Of those 22 on AIM, only 14 are people from high school and the others from various real life people, video games, and whatnot from 2001 to about 2008 (I don't really delete people).

Methodology - disabling all but one in pidgin (I never really used facebook chat until it supported jabber (http://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php)).

whatthefunk
June 9th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Wow a lot of people here don't like to communicate

Hi. Whats up? Nothing. U? Not much. You see that movie on TV last night. Yeah...killer. Yeah. Later dude. Peace.

Not communicating.

IMing sucks in my opinion. So much of communication is visual. Waiting around for somebody to type you a message is boring and tiresome. Id rather go get a beer and talk to a random stranger than IM with somebody...

Bandit
June 9th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Even though I use Facebook. I am seriously annoyed with its IM client and seems everyone now uses it. To bandage up my frustration I just pipe it through Empathy and try to tell myself all is good in the world! :(