PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Popup gnome menu (or any similar) on command or shortcut.

Elline
June 8th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Hello.
Didn't knew where to ask about it, through maybe it is related to desktop environments.

Just wondering is there any existing way to show any gnome(2)-like menu on shortcut or command.

What I want really is make a menu appear by touching screen border by associating one of the screen corners with a command in compiz.

I saw some kind of menu myGtkMenu, but it is an additional entity. It would be perfect if I can associate menu popup with a command like I can do in "Keyboard Shortcuts", but there is only key shortcuts awailable, though I need a corner touch.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my freaky English.

Elline
June 16th, 2011, 05:53 PM
No chances for me?

jerrrys
June 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
don't use it, but sounds like "brightside" it's in the software center

Elline
June 16th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Should look for that, thank you for reply!

Wow, it looks like you found answer for my another topic (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10946492#post10946492)!

But I can associate actions (i.e. commands) with screen corners from just compiz. But I can't figure out is there a command to show a gnome menu.

Elline
June 16th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Oh, well. I installed that brightside, but it looks like it is actually not switching the desktops, maybe conflicting with compiz. But it is out of topic really.
Also, this software looks really outdated, even is's website is down.

jerrrys
June 16th, 2011, 08:38 PM
as long as its in the software center, it has a maintainer. i have gone as far as i can. good luck

Elline
June 17th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Yes, thank you very much! It is just conflicting with compiz that's the problem.

Any other suggestions? Just a menu that pops out by a command?

jerrrys
June 18th, 2011, 05:52 PM
perhaps a compiz user will stop on in...

stinkeye
June 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Do you want a menu like 10.10?
There is an indicator here (http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/classicmenu-indicator/)
Which will display a menu like in maverick.

Download and install the classicmenu-indicator_0.03_all.deb file
and to run hit alt+F2 and enter

classicmenu-indicator

Elline
June 19th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Do you want a menu like 10.10?
There is an indicator here (http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/classicmenu-indicator/)
Which will display a menu like in maverick.

Download and install the classicmenu-indicator_0.03_all.deb file
and to run hit alt+F2 and enter

classicmenu-indicator

Sorry, it is not what I want.

I need a menu that appears on command. So I can associate that command, for example, "super-menu-show" with a screen corner and make appear that way.

stinkeye
June 19th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Don't undestand.
A menu for what?

You can use xdotool to run keyboard shortcuts.
eg

xdotool key Super+a

and use in ccsm > commands.

Elline
June 21st, 2011, 02:37 PM
Don't undestand.
A menu for what?
A menu with applications. Like in gnome2, or that you suggested.

Elline
June 21st, 2011, 02:52 PM
Oh, thank you very much!

I have found a solution with xdotools.

komealy
March 12th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I was actually looking for a very similar situation as this and I was wondering what the solution actually was. I'll look into it and see if I can figure it out anyway. Thanks in advance.

komealy
March 12th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Oh, thank you very much!

I have found a solution with xdotools.

I was actually looking for a very similar situation as this and I was wondering what the solution actually was. I'll look into it and see if I can figure it out anyway. Thanks in advance.