PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Visual express under Ubuntu

Theadamlt
June 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Hi all,

In would like to install Visual basic on my Ubuntu machine.
Ive tried using Wine, but i run into this error: "Unable to find volume for file extraction. Please verify that you have proper permissions." Does anyone have a solution? If not, does anyone know an alternative?

Thank you in advance

Adam

Mr. Shannon
June 8th, 2011, 05:13 PM
What is your reason for installing Visual Basic on your computer? Are you trying to make programs for windows?

Theadamlt
June 8th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Haha, actually, yes. I don't like to use windows myself, but i make programs for Windows users. A little ironic

Mr. Shannon
June 8th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Look at Mono, its in the repositories. If you do an internet search you can find some stuff about cross compiling as well. I don't know how good it is but it would not need Wine and that might make things simpler.

Theadamlt
June 9th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Hmm... How do i exactly do this? Cant figure it out.

Thanks

Mr. Shannon
June 10th, 2011, 03:52 AM
What is it you can't figure out?

Theadamlt
June 10th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Is mono just a program that i have to install from synaptic?

Mr. Shannon
June 14th, 2011, 03:03 PM
The IDE is monodevelop and the compiler for Visual Basic seems to be mono-vbnc and yes they are in the repositories so you can install them by any of the normal means in Ubuntu (including Synaptic). If you use the software center there seem to be a lot of add-ons for mono so you may look through there for anything you feel is missing from monodevelop.

Theadamlt
June 16th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Cool! I will check it out!

Theadamlt
June 20th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Okay, do you know how to get the tools button so i can add the buttons like in the windows version?

directhex
June 22nd, 2011, 12:01 AM
Okay, do you know how to get the tools button so i can add the buttons like in the windows version?

The GUI designer only works for C# apps. To design a GUI with VB.NET, you'll need to follow another route (e.g. design a GUI with Glade, and use Glade# to display it)