PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Natty Narwhal

Taswegian1
June 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Update Manager is inviting me to update from my Maverick Meerkat to Natty. Is this a good idea?

howefield
June 8th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I'd say yes, but then your mileage may vary.

You'd want to back up all your data that you wouldn't want to lose if you haven't already, and I'd suggest taking a Clonezilla disk image if you can. This will mean you can get back to your starting point relatively easily should the process go wrong.

If you upgrade you may log into the new Unity interface, should you not like it you can log into the previous and familiar gnome environment by selecting Ubuntu Classic from the Session menu at the login screen.

kerry_s
June 8th, 2011, 12:45 PM
If your using lubuntu you should be fine.
If your using gnome then no, a clean install is best.

casey972oo
June 8th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hi there ! ... I use ' 1o.1o Maverick Meerkat ' quit a while ! ...
and made ' upgrade ' to ' 11.o4 Natty Narwhal ' yesterday ! ...

first I reconiced there is a new version of ' kernel ' ! ...
' linux 2.6.38.22 generic ' ! ... and those two older ones where takin' out ! ... all in all ! ... a brand new OS ! ...

with a lot of not used files .. and Packages any longer ! ...
everything changed ! ... everything was takin' out ! ...

and after reboot ! ... there was a ' black-screen ' ! ...

but find out yourself ! ...

casey972oo

Joe of loath
June 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM
If you're using Lubuntu as is in the title, go for it. I did it, and 11.04 is so much better!

ghostborg
June 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Try out the Unity interface for a while and if it doesn't work for you, Logout and select your user name and at that time optional settings will appear at the bottom to select different installed Desktops. You can select Gnome Classic then type in your password. My understanding is that the Unity interface sits on top of the Gnome Classic at this time.

I also noticed with 11.04 and Compiz that when you mess around with the settings in Compiz Config Settings Manager it seems to clear some important check-boxes. Like Effects->Window Decoration and things like Window Management -> Move,Resize windows. Many people have been thrown off by this so just re-check them and all should be good.

SteveDee
June 8th, 2011, 06:59 PM
...Is this a good idea?

I suggest you make a Natty LiveCD first and boot from it. That way if you have problems, its best avoided. Alternatively if is does run OK, its no guaranty that the upgrade will work...

Do you need to upgrade? What are you hoping to fix, or what do you want to do that you can't already do?

The Lubuntu file manager on 11.04 now has "add file/folder" menu options that are missing on 10.10....which is the only benefit I've noticed.

Taswegian1
June 12th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the input guys. As for me I think It's a matter of "If it ain't broke don't fix it". So I think I'll let the dust settle before any upgrading.