PDA

View Full Version : MS win8 to follow unity?

wolf99
June 8th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Looks like the next windows interface is to follow the concept unity introduced, a tablet/device touch optimized block style...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386290,00.asp

Kinda looks like ubuntu is actually leading the way then... :D

Lucradia
June 8th, 2011, 10:02 AM
tweet@rama or whatever is the only thing that looks remotely ANYTHING like unity.

Also, icons have already been mentioned in another thread.

Also, most of these pictures are of Windows 8 on Tablet.

Also, it has the same task bar as Windows 7, so far for desktop mode =/

As for the Windows 8 home screens, or whatever they are in the first few slides, they're taking that from Android 3.0, not Unity. (also similar design to the Blackberry Playbook interface.)

meborc
June 8th, 2011, 10:03 AM
it looks more like gnome3 than unity... if any

Gremlinzzz
June 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Wonder if the windows fans will be complaining about it not looking like windows xp.:)

Spice Weasel
June 8th, 2011, 01:24 PM
It looks nothing like GNOME3 or Unity...

RiceMonster
June 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM
It looks nothing like GNOME3 or Unity...

This.

Why do people on here think everyone is always copying or "ripping off" Ubuntu?

Ozor Mox
June 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM
This.

Why do people on here think everyone is always copying or "ripping off" Ubuntu?

Just as often, people here seem to think that everyone is always accusing others of ripping off Ubuntu, Linux, etc.

Surely the OP is not saying "ZOMG this looks just like Unity!!!" but is saying that Unity/Gnome3 were heading down this tablet/mobile phone touch interfacey route before Microsoft announced this? It's interesting to see open source technologies getting in there first in some ways. That seems to be happening more and more.

donkyhotay
June 8th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Wonder if the windows fans will be complaining about it not looking like windows xp.:)

Working in tech support and hearing lots of people complain about the differences between XP and vista/win7. Most (but not all I'll admit) of the complainers are people who have never used anything besides XP and have never used a different OS (not even win98).

ctrlmd
June 8th, 2011, 03:04 PM
[-X#-o its windows phone 7 style
guess you have never seen windows phone 7

Random_Dude
June 8th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I think it'll cause a lot of confusion.
Not that I'm complaining. If I disliked learning new things, I would have never tried Linux.

It does not look like Unity at all.

Lucradia
June 8th, 2011, 04:40 PM
[-X#-o its windows phone 7 style
guess you have never seen windows phone 7

I have, but it's only somewhat similar to even that.

Note the scrollbar that shows you where you are in the bottom left of one screen?

Bart_D
June 8th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Windows 8 has a professional interface.

Unity/Gnome3 interface/(s) look like they're from the 1990s.

I appears that Microsoft took what Linux started and turned it into an extremely refined product. Meanwhile Linux can't seem to get past the first hurdle. What a shame!

Giant Speck
June 8th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Damn, and stealing from the KDE project was working out so well for them! :roll:

Joking. And Windows 8 looks nothing like Unity.

Quadunit404
June 8th, 2011, 08:12 PM
They are NOT stealing from Ubuntu, or Canonical, or whatever. They're stealing from WINDOWS PHONE 7!!!

Oh wait.

el_koraco
June 8th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Windows 8 has a professional interface.

Seems to me the idea is to make it less professional, and more joyful.

Copper Bezel
June 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Gnome Shell and Phone 7 both take cues from tablet Linuxes, Android and such. Unity is just weird. = )

And yeah, I don't see the "1990s" or "professional" comments at all; by 1990s, I have to assume you mean the early 2000s, in terms of skinning conventions, and "professional" could mean enterprise-friendly, professionally designed, or bland-looking, all of which are completely separate things. Windows 8 looks to be rather uniquely conscious of graphic design principles and trends, however.

forrestcupp
June 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I just found this leaked screen shot of Windows 8's classic desktop, and I think you guys are right! They are ripping off Ubuntu!

JackofHarts94
June 8th, 2011, 10:24 PM
first of all the only thing i saw that even resembled unity was the sort off hidden bar on the right hand side. also its windows its going to be a pile o' ****.

Giant Speck
June 9th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Windows 8 looks to be rather uniquely conscious of graphic design principles and trends, however.
I agree. However, I'm also really hoping they make the Metro UI a universal thing with Windows 8, because combining Metro with Aero would seriously look ugly. That is, unless they revamp Aero.

Copper Bezel
June 9th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Oh, absolutely. All that glassy BS looks completely out of place, and it'll be as jarring to use as a straight-up VM would be. I'll be fairly disappointed if the classic desktop looks anything like that in the final release. That's particularly since everything but the window switcher is redundant, since the features exist in the new UI. They should totally just use tint2. = )

Sashin
June 9th, 2011, 05:11 AM
This better be the full blown desktop windows... since I don't believe tablets are very ergonomic and yet this looks pretty cool.

Not as cool as unity, mind you.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
June 9th, 2011, 05:53 AM
That is uh...nothing like Unity.

jarfish
June 9th, 2011, 07:19 AM
It reminds me of symbaloo. An online social bookmark service that transforms your favorite urls into squares. Any how it looks... "okay"

Elie-M
June 9th, 2011, 08:11 AM
well the first thing I said when i saw the windows 8 video, is omg it's following the ubuntu/gnome 3 way. the striking resemblance directly hit me. the remove the desktop thing, make it full screen application with hiding running apps in the background, getting the apps interface when u want to use them, moving between different workspaces, large tabs, support touch screens. U jst CANT say it's not following the linux path! just think abt it, I directly saw it. and it's ironic imo.

el_koraco
June 9th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Oh, absolutely. All that glassy BS looks completely out of place, and it'll be as jarring to use as a straight-up VM would be. I'll be fairly disappointed if the classic desktop looks anything like that in the final release. That's particularly since everything but the window switcher is redundant, since the features exist in the new UI. They should totally just use tint2. = )

I have the feeling they might bring the Aero look to the new UI. There needs to be some kind of consistency, and I'm not sure they're gonna just abandon DWM after working on it for years.