PDA

View Full Version : Would programmers know how to'hack'?

hugom
June 8th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I write short stories and one I'm writing contains a person who is very computer literate.

Just wondering, if someone knew multiple programming languages, would knowing how to 'hack' come naturally to them? or does 'hacking' require a whole different way of going about things?

Cheers, this is just for a random story so any information would be great.

tgm4883
June 8th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I write short stories and one I'm writing contains a person who is very computer literate.

Just wondering, if someone knew multiple programming languages, would knowing how to 'hack' come naturally to them? or does 'hacking' require a whole different way of going about things?

Cheers, this is just for a random story so any information would be great.

I think it depends on the language. Assembly and C would likely help in that sort of thing.

BrandonC19
June 8th, 2011, 07:14 AM
It's not guaranteed. In order to "hack" one would need a thorough knowledge of networking, cyber security, AND programming. Knowing a programming language or two won't teach one the sacred methods of hack, although it's a very handy skill to have after obtaining the knowledge of hacking.

Thewhistlingwind
June 8th, 2011, 07:15 AM

More context would be helpful in this case.

What is the character trying to do (without being too specific) some programming languages will help you with some tasks more then others.

The skill/toolset used to crack a webserver will be a little different from the one used to reverse engineer software.

But as mentioned above, a little extra homework would be required on the programmers part to use their already existing programming talents for security cracking.

hakermania
June 8th, 2011, 07:55 AM
If he is a programmer interested in security for example, he will definitely know lots of staff about hacking, if he is a game programmer, what's the need? :)

NovaAesa
June 8th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Of course, I myself hack into high level security systems on a daily basis *le gasp*

PeterP24
June 8th, 2011, 08:25 AM
This depends on the definition of the word hacking. In the old days a hacker meant a person (often self taught) who was able to take a program and improved it beyond the original author intention. In that fashion you could say that a programmer knowing multiple languages is a hacker. However if you are referring to the misinterpreted media definition hacker means a highly skilled computerese with an inclination for doing illegal stuff either for its own material benefit or because of his own moral system. I believe that cracker would be a better definition. The cracker needs other types of knowledge, beside programming, to achieve its goals. Be aware also that most script-kiddies can be put on the same level with a skilled cracker (I am referring to the final results of their work) due to the existence of the right software tools on the one side and the incompetence of the security departments on the other side.
I would also like to point out that if you choose to portray your character as a "hacker" that breaks into security systems you will perpetuate the misinterpretation of the word "hacker".

pts

Thewhistlingwind
June 8th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I would also like to point out that if you choose to portray your character as a "hacker" that breaks into security systems you will perpetuate the misinterpretation of the word "hacker".

We all knew he really meant cracker (Notice it's what I said in my post.) However, I highly doubt the character in his story is doing anything even remotely related to classical Unix hacking.

BrandonC19
June 8th, 2011, 08:40 AM
... classical Unix hacking.
Heh heh I can see it now.

Chapter 1:
Configuring SendMail for POP/IMAP

Thewhistlingwind
June 8th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Chapter 1:
Configuring SendMail for POP/IMAP

Chapter 2:
Getting Sendmail to not crash halfway through delivering your mail.

BkkBonanza
June 8th, 2011, 08:45 AM
A good programming knowledge is required but not sufficient for many "hacking" tasks. There are some situations where programming may not be needed as pre-canned exploits can be used but anyone doing any original work is certainly going to need programming skills, as well as more technical knowledge and also specific knowledge about the targets being hacked.

Keep in mind that most "entertainment" depictions of hacking are so far from reality that basing any story on the current "literature" may work for the general public but would be immediately ridiculed by knowledgeable technical people. Most writers of TV shows get even the simplest technical terms muddled up and use them in contexts that make little sense, or sound impressive but mean nothing.

How many times on 24 did we hear about opening a "socket"..., and how it's going to take at least 12 minutes to crack that 4096 bit encryption... but maybe I'm being unfair, and you have some better intentions.

hugom
June 8th, 2011, 08:51 AM
This depends on the definition of the word hacking. In the old days a hacker meant a person (often self taught) who was able to take a program and improved it beyond the original author intention. In that fashion you could say that a programmer knowing multiple languages is a hacker. However if you are referring to the misinterpreted media definition hacker means a highly skilled computerese with an inclination for doing illegal stuff either for its own material benefit or because of his own moral system. I believe that cracker would be a better definition. The cracker needs other types of knowledge, beside programming, to achieve its goals. Be aware also that most script-kiddies can be put on the same level with a skilled cracker (I am referring to the final results of their work) due to the existence of the right software tools on the one side and the incompetence of the security departments on the other side.

pts

Well yeah, I know nothing at all what I was asking so sorry if it sounded stupid. I just write these stories for fun. The character is only in it for a page, but I just don't like to write about something I haven't even slightly research.

Thewhistlingwind
June 8th, 2011, 09:00 AM
.......sorry if it sounded stupid.

You don't, the internet/Unix/Hacker/Advanced windows/etc Communities all feel like the word Hacker was stolen from them, it's used by like, twenty different prominent (Not counting subcultures) internet cultures, Including the cracking community. It's not hard to get confused.

Also, like a fourth of those cultures are malicious.

EDIT: Those numbers are of course "without thinking too deeply" approximations, which is why the word "like" is in front of them.

t.rei
June 8th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Awe man, and there I was thinking that 'hacking' was basically just mashing the keyboard while staring at the 'fbi login screen' while getting a bj and having a gun to the head. :/

And now you are telling me that it's really about a multiple nights and days looking at code, compiling, injecting, analysing, waiting, circumventing, trying, drinking coffee, oh and compiling some more ... while maybe even chatting with other knowledgable people and a whole lot of reading and reading and reading and researching?

Man, what a let down.

Programmers don't neccesarily know how to 'hack', many don't even realize when they are writing their code, that it contains security flaws. But the good ones will know where to look if they wanted to, and know enough about it, so avoid the usual mistakes when writing their programs.

---
As for the word 'hacker' - could we please agree upon understanding what is meant and get on with it, without getting to squabble about this ridiculous terminology issue that was probably born out of a situation where someone wanted to avoid some real issue? Just because a bitch(female dog) is a bitch (female dog) doesnt make the bitch (participant of the entertainment industry) less of a bitch (participant of the entertainment industry)!

JupiterV2
June 8th, 2011, 03:17 PM
You can be a "hacker" without knowing any languages. Hence the term "script kiddies," kids who take other people's scripts and programs to hack without any knowledge of the language used to create them.

I consider myself a hacker in the classical sense. I "hack" away at code all the time. I bludgeon it to death with my blunt axe and make it as ugly as possible! I do not "hack" other people's computers, though. Using the term "hacking" to describe a cracker is a media blunder. Use wikipedia and search for "hacker" to get more background.

simeon87
June 8th, 2011, 04:15 PM
They can "hack" but they do not necessarily know how to "crack", so to speak.

ThatCoolGuy220
June 8th, 2011, 06:29 PM
These days a hacker is consider a programmer

according to a hacking forums were I was long time ago even though I loose interest on destroying thing or making viruses there was no much reason for that.

though its fun when you realize you hacked yourself or by accident erased your hard disk...

But as the internet is filled with information its actually not hard to copy a code, for the sake of instant fun...

well at least you can learn how did it worked later...

John_Anon
June 8th, 2011, 07:20 PM
He could. The knowledge of computers would help with hacking, but it wouldn't be necessary. Let's just say that if he was interested in it as a side project, sort of a hobby, it would not be hard for him. Also, it might be necessary if he specializes in, say, security.

Petrolea
June 8th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Lets make this a bit shorter:

He can be a wannabe hacker (cracker, whatever, lets just say he's a hacker) by simply copy pasting some code, using existing scripts or some stupid "virus maker" (which is the stupidest of all).

Or, he can be an experienced programmer who writes his programs in HEX code and can kill the whole internet by using a single command.

ThatCoolGuy220
June 10th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Petrolea wrote:

Lets make this a bit shorter:

He can be a wannabe hacker (cracker, whatever, lets just say he's a hacker) by simply copy pasting some code, using existing scripts or some stupid "virus maker" (which is the stupidest of all).

Or, he can be an experienced programmer who writes his programs in HEX code and can kill the whole internet by using a single command.

OMG!

I hope that never happens

Random_Dude
June 11th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Keep in mind that most "entertainment" depictions of hacking are so far from reality that basing any story on the current "literature" may work for the general public but would be immediately ridiculed by knowledgeable technical people. Most writers of TV shows get even the simplest technical terms muddled up and use them in contexts that make little sense, or sound impressive but mean nothing.

You reminded me of the CSI New York GUI video. xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

Petrolea
June 12th, 2011, 03:31 PM
You reminded me of the CSI New York GUI video. xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

Ahahahaha, Visual Basic for tracking down the killer :P