PDA

View Full Version : Did you make a donation for Ubuntu (Canonical)?

PC_load_letter
June 7th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I didn't know this was possible, but I just found out about this, here: http://www.ubuntu.com/community/get-involved/donate

I think this should be more publicized. Have you guys donated to Ubuntu before? And does Canonical publish how much they receive in donations? I know Linux Mint does this on a monthly basis.

uRock
June 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Can I create a comparative $ per hour and write it as donation amount?

wojox
June 7th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I don't know of to many open source projects that don't accept donations.

I don't know if they publish their total anywhere.

ErikNJ
June 7th, 2011, 06:21 PM
That's cool. However, being that Canonical is a for-profit company, you won't be able to declare your donation as a tax deduction (as far as I know and I am not providing any tax advice here). It be more of a "gift" than a donation. If it were a non-profit organization, it'd be a different story.

You're probably better off financially supporting Canonical by buying some Ubuntu One services. You'd get the added value of the service there. I'd hope anyone using Ubuntu who is considering "cloud" storage or a music purchase would strongly consider supporting Ubuntu in their purchase decisions.

PC_load_letter
June 7th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Well, my intension is to give back to the Devs and the people behind this great distro. I don't care if it's tax deductible or not really, it would be a plus if it were.

Erik's advice is another option that I haven't thought of. Cool.

Lucradia
June 7th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I didn't, because ReactOS has more use for my money than canonical does.

forrestcupp
June 7th, 2011, 07:15 PM
That's cool. However, being that Canonical is a for-profit company, you won't be able to declare your donation as a tax deduction (as far as I know and I am not providing any tax advice here).

You're not donating to Canonical; you're donating to the Ubuntu Project, which is a separate non-profit entity.

ErikNJ
June 7th, 2011, 07:19 PM
You're not donating to Canonical; you're donating to the Ubuntu Project, which is a separate non-profit entity.

That may be true. However, the paypal is to "Canonical Ltd."

nothingspecial
June 7th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I haven't donated to Ubuntu itself, but I have donated to open source software that runs on it.

Simian Man
June 7th, 2011, 07:20 PM
There are so many better charities than open source software. Ones that actually help people.

And even among open source software, why would I donate to Ubuntu, which is sponsored by a for-profit company headed by a millionaire? I'd much rather give to an upstream project which could make much better use of that money.

So no.

nothingspecial
June 7th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I should point out that my donation was a specific piece of hardware that I wanted to work with the software, so my reasons for donating were self motivated.

forrestcupp
June 7th, 2011, 07:28 PM
That may be true. However, the paypal is to "Canonical Ltd."Interesting. That could make things complicated with the government.

And even among open source software, why would I donate to Ubuntu, which is sponsored by a for-profit company headed by a millionaire? I'd much rather give to an upstream project which could make much better use of that money.

Shuttleworth isn't the only millionaire at the head of large open source projects. By your reasoning, the only projects worth supporting would be the small ones being run by poor programmers like us. I don't disagree, but I also am not ungrateful for the fact that Shuttleworth has dumped a lot of his own money into the Ubuntu Project. I don't necessarily think it's right for us to all think we should live off of his dime just because he has a lot of money.

Also, I do agree with you that there are a lot of more worthwhile charities out there that help people with real needs.

ErikNJ
June 7th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I think the best way to support Ubuntu is to contribute in any way you can. That could be maintaining packages, filing bugs, fixing bugs, doing translations, working on upstream projects, etc. I don't think donations are necessary here - there are services sold that can accomplish the same thing without the weirdness of a donation.

Spice Weasel
June 7th, 2011, 08:33 PM
There are so many better charities than open source software. Ones that actually help people.

So no.

This.

speedwell68
June 7th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I haven't made a direct location, but I bought a T Shirt and a Hoodie.

juancarlospaco
June 7th, 2011, 11:57 PM

I know some people that Get a Job thanks to open source software,
that makes a change on their lifes, that actually help people!.

why would I donate to Ubuntu,

Because i can.

headed by a millionaire? .

A lot of things that you dont understand,
we are united by Freedom ideas, not separated by Money.