PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 11.04 installation frozen during Keyboard layout step

Ticatla
June 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I have a Dell XPS M1330 Memory 2 GiB. Processors (0 and 1): Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CP T7250 @ 2.00 GHz where I had ubuntu 10 and windows vista living together: a partition for Windows, a partition for ubuntu and a "shared" partition formated as NTFS so that files could be accedes for both OS. As I rarely do this last thing, I decided to get rid of the NTFS format and leave it for /home for ubuntu when changing to 11.04. I decided to do a fresh install.

I downloaded the ISO from the ubuntu webpage and made a starup usb. I started the installation normally, I rearranged the HD, leaving windows where it was and the rest with the traditional 30Gb for /, around 60Gb (is not a big disk, I know...) for /home and 2Gb for swap.

Everything was going nicely, I changed my location while the files where copied, etc. Then I was selecting the keyboard layout and..... sadness came to us.

I can not choose the keyboard layout, it just does not changes whataver the geographic region I select. I do can click on "detect keyboard layout" and follow all the test, but nothing happens afterwards. I can type in the box, but the layout has not changed.

If it is of any use, I was aiming for "Latinamerican" but selected Macedonia as I was planing to move with the keyboard arrows afterwards.

Outside of the main window the cursor is the normal arrow, but it appears as "working" if placed over the keyboard settings.

I left it for some minutes, it finished coping the files and so the loading bar says "Ready when you are" but I can not click on forward as I still can not select any keyboard layout.

I can go to System Settings and see all the menus, but nothing more.

It has been there for some hours so it is clearly not going anywhere.

I googled it with no good results at all, only a yahoo answer suggesting to choose the US layout, but as I said it doesn't work.

I am clueless. Should I kill it off and start all over again? I am not very experienced on this, but sounds kinda bad..... Should I?

In other words: halp.

Thanks in advance!

Ticatla
June 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Some useless news: I changed the keyboard layout in System Settings, but the main thing is still frozen.

Sorrow.

Stunts
June 7th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Hi there.
There are several things you could try:
1. Simply try again (maybe it was just a glitch) - I know, I know, doing the exact same thing twice and expect different results is the path to madness...
2. Try using the alternate install CD. This will install Ubuntu using a text based interface (but with menus, not just a command line). It will take longer to install, but it might be worth it.

I would also recommend burning a new CD using a low recording speed, but if you are going down that route you might as well use the alternate install. It's not as complicated as it sounds.

wildmanne39
June 8th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I have a Dell XPS M1330 Memory 2 GiB. Processors (0 and 1): Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CP T7250 @ 2.00 GHz where I had ubuntu 10 and windows vista living together: a partition for Windows, a partition for ubuntu and a "shared" partition formated as NTFS so that files could be accedes for both OS. As I rarely do this last thing, I decided to get rid of the NTFS format and leave it for /home for ubuntu when changing to 11.04. I decided to do a fresh install.

I downloaded the ISO from the ubuntu webpage and made a starup usb. I started the installation normally, I rearranged the HD, leaving windows where it was and the rest with the traditional 30Gb for /, around 60Gb (is not a big disk, I know...) for /home and 2Gb for swap.

Everything was going nicely, I changed my location while the files where copied, etc. Then I was selecting the keyboard layout and..... sadness came to us.

I can not choose the keyboard layout, it just does not changes whataver the geographic region I select. I do can click on "detect keyboard layout" and follow all the test, but nothing happens afterwards. I can type in the box, but the layout has not changed.

If it is of any use, I was aiming for "Latinamerican" but selected Macedonia as I was planing to move with the keyboard arrows afterwards.

Outside of the main window the cursor is the normal arrow, but it appears as "working" if placed over the keyboard settings.

I left it for some minutes, it finished coping the files and so the loading bar says "Ready when you are" but I can not click on forward as I still can not select any keyboard layout.

I can go to System Settings and see all the menus, but nothing more.

It has been there for some hours so it is clearly not going anywhere.

I googled it with no good results at all, only a yahoo answer suggesting to choose the US layout, but as I said it doesn't work.

I am clueless. Should I kill it off and start all over again? I am not very experienced on this, but sounds kinda bad..... Should I?

In other words: halp.

Thanks in advance!
Hi, also you should run the live install for a little while and see if everything is working with natty and your computer.

Ticatla
June 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Hi there.
There are several things you could try:
1. Simply try again (maybe it was just a glitch) - I know, I know, doing the exact same thing twice and expect different results is the path to madness...
2. Try using the alternate install CD. This will install Ubuntu using a text based interface (but with menus, not just a command line). It will take longer to install, but it might be worth it.

I would also recommend burning a new CD using a low recording speed, but if you are going down that route you might as well use the alternate install. It's not as complicated as it sounds.

So I followed the path to madness and it worked. I didn't dared to change the keyboard layout at the moment and did it later.

Thanks to all the others for replying, I was ready to try the other options if necessary.