PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install crash of Ubuntu 11.04 from 2gb USB stick:

tomot
June 7th, 2011, 05:12 PM
1. the install process fails 3/4 along the orange install barometer
2. "Installer crashed" appears in the btm. task bar
3. the Ubuntu installer tells me: /var/log/syslogand/var/log/partman is the location for the text file containing information about the crash.

Having found the file and having put it on my Ubuntu desktop, I now want to forward it to the Ubuntu developers. Sounds like a very simple process, but it isn't!

I Google the phrase "crash report Ubuntu" which brings me to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport

I'm sure the people at the Apport are well intentioned, but I'm NOT willing to spend hours trying to understand nor read about all the problems, and how to send a crash report.

What would really help for a non techie like myself is an small application called UbuntuCrash into which I can drag and drop the crash file, after which I click, Send.

mörgæs
June 7th, 2011, 07:48 PM
It is good that you want to take part in making Ubuntu better. You can post a bug report here:

www.launchpad.net/ubuntu

tomot
June 10th, 2011, 05:36 PM
upon reading more at this forum I see I'm not the only one having problems installing via USB stick.

I have removable HDD trays which each contain one HDD, hence I can quickly disengage any or all HDD's from the front of my computer.
I can then install any New HDD into the tray, and install Ubuntu.
By hitting F8, during the boot process I can direct from where I want to boot. The boot loader recognizes the HDD I want to install Ubuntu onto, as well as the USB I want to do the Ubuntu install from. Below is what I have discovered so far:

Ubuntu 11.04 Install wont start does not recognize 8gb USB
--------------------
8gb USB <--- Install To
2gb USB <--- Install From

Ubuntu 11.04 Install wont start does not recognize 8gb USB
--------------------
8gb USB <--- Install To
CD <--- Install From

Ubuntu 11.04 Install fails at 75%, CRASH report issued, but no quick method by with to send it.
--------------------
HDD <--- Install To
2gb USB <--- Install From

Ubuntu 11.04 Install Works! Installed all drivers for Flash, PDF, Bookmarks from Windows Firefox, Address Book from Thunderbird
--------------------
HDD <--- Install To
CD <--- Install From

Ubuntu 10.04 Install works! can't get Nvidia driver to display more than 1024x768 running Ubuntu from USB stick is way too slow.
--------------------
8gb USB <--- Install To
CD <--- Install From

I'm going to test the same above to see how a Ubuntu 10.04 install fairs.