PDA

View Full Version : Male & female best friends, is a locket too romantic or is it ok.

MechaMechanism
June 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
My best friend (female) in the whole wide world is having a birthday this June and I was considering a locket. Someone told me a locket was too romantic. Well the idea that it was romantic was a new one to me. Yes I knew that on Valentines day lockets were given between lovers, but I also assumed lockets could be given between friends. Maybe I am naive. I'm pretty sure my friend would not be bothered by a locket, but I have not asked her. Should I put out feelers to gauge her reaction to friends giving her lockets. What about 2 female friends or 2 male friends. Is there a taboo on male/female friends. She is 23 and I am 38 and she thinks I'm too old for romance and there is no chance in hell we will ever be more than friends.

I was considering a locket of hair as a photograph fades with time, or perhaps a scrap of paper declaring some affection of friendship or something.

What do you all think.

doas777
June 7th, 2011, 04:08 PM
at least in my culture, giving women jewelry risks saying too much, but it really depends on the situation. I'd ask some of her girlfriends. in the long run, the thought that is most important is her reception, not what you meant in giving. if she takes it the wrong way, its already too late to explain.

uRock
June 7th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Some people just don't value friendship the same as others. I see nothing wrong with giving that gift to a friend.

kev77
June 7th, 2011, 04:09 PM
A lock of hair is certainly too romantic, i would consider a locket romantic too! sounds like you may have a secret crush? Take her for a meal instead!

jhonan
June 7th, 2011, 04:12 PM
"Best friend"... I'm a cynic.

Get her an engagement ring. That way you'll force her hand, get her to make a decision, and free yourself up to pursue a different romantic interest. :D

Simian Man
June 7th, 2011, 04:12 PM
What do you all think.

Honestly I think you have a crush on her. If you are sure she's not into you, then buy her something less romantic and try to meet some new people.

Grenage
June 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM
A scrap of paper or lock of hair in a locket would, in my opinion, be a romantic gesture. A locket on its own, perhaps not quite so much. As a relationship-specific question, It's really something only you could answer; you must know your best friend quite well.

It's often tricky walking the line with friends of the opposite sex; I personally don't have many for this reason alone. You know best!

el_koraco
June 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Male and female best friends don't exist.

Random_Dude
June 7th, 2011, 04:19 PM
A locket is way too romantic. If you're not expecting a romantic relationship, then it's not a good idea.
I'm sure you know her well enough to think of another present. ;)

Cheers :cool:

dwhite
June 7th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Yes too romantic.

sorry i didn't read your entire post before replying... my bad...just forget about her

Oxwivi
June 7th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Ouch.

MechaMechanism
June 7th, 2011, 04:24 PM
The census seems to be romantic. I'm already taking her to dinner, so maybe I'll stick with that. Do I have a secret crush on her, lol at first I did, we both did at the beginning of our relationship but then we decided we didn't want to be together that way, just friends.

OK, no locket then.

Although now I'm curious about cultures around the wold, is it universal the idea of a locket being romantic?

jhonan
June 7th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Not always. When one's straight and one's gay they can work.

tapi0n
June 7th, 2011, 04:27 PM
if she takes it the wrong way, its already too late to explain.Women. Period.

Anyway, to be honost I think a locket of hair is a bit. Erm, scary.
"Hey I got you this locket of hair. You want some skin flakes with that too? *Heavy breathing*"

But on a serious note get her something more casual man. Although I completely understand and believe you if you say it's purely platonic, a lot of people won't. Lots of people, including her, could get a wrong idea.

Grenage
June 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Ah, to be so black and white. ;)

dwhite
June 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM
"Hey I got you this locket of hair. You want some skin flakes with that too? *Heavy breathing*"

+1 lol

el_koraco
June 7th, 2011, 04:31 PM

You're right, forgot about that one.

Sef
June 7th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I was considering a locket of hair as a photograph fades with time, or perhaps a scrap of paper declaring some affection of friendship or something.

What do you all think.

A scrap of paper that says thank you for your friendship or your friendship has enriched my life. Just do not buy a locket that she would appreciate. If you are not sure what to get exactly ask a friend of hers.

kev77
June 7th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Women. Period.

:lolflag:

kev77
June 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM

Without saying too much, i can honestly say that even a close friendship with a gay girl can get complicated... :tongue:

nothingspecial
June 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Male and female best friends do exist but in my experience....... erm....... how can I put this.........

We had to get some stuff out of the way before we realised we were just friends, if you see what I mean .......

This was 15 years ago, and we are both happily married with kids and god parents of each others now.

drawkcab
June 7th, 2011, 07:38 PM

^^^ Truth.

Younger women that are into older men (there are a lot of them out there) are often skittish about following through emotionally and/or physically because of the social stigma. In my experience, friends tend to exert an enormous amount of influence on younger women. If you pull out a hair-filled locket in front of her and her friends, it's all over. You will be instantly moved from the category of "nice, older friend with a harmless crush" to "out-of-touch, creepy--possibly dangerous!--old lecher." You will be socially dead.

Well, you've got something to work with. Sounds like she's keeping you on the back burner for a reason though. This means she's still interested but doesn't know exactly what she's doing with her life yet which is normal.

Maybe give her a relatively thoughtless gift like a cookbook. If she feels you are losing interest, she may react by trying to capture your attention. Poke around a bit and see how she reacts. At any rate, have some patience and look for a more decisive, less pathetic/awkward/creepy opportunity to crash through the friendzone.

Or just move on. Women in their mid 20s are a handful, trust me. There's something to be said for a woman in her 30s who has some experience, knows who she is and knows what she wants.

Good luck.

Legendary_Bibo
June 7th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I was considering a locket of hair.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:
Aaannnnddd this is where I stopped reading.

Legendary_Bibo
June 7th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Without saying too much, i can honestly say that even a close friendship with a gay girl can get complicated... :tongue:

No the guy has to be gay and the woman straight for it to work.

Random_Dude
June 7th, 2011, 08:05 PM
No the guy has to be gay and the woman straight for it to work.

I believe that males and females can be friends, but in the case of best friends I would have to agree with you.

What about straight guy with a lesbian friend?

forrestcupp
June 7th, 2011, 08:07 PM
The census seems to be romantic. I'm already taking her to dinner, so maybe I'll stick with that. Do I have a secret crush on her, lol at first I did, we both did at the beginning of our relationship but then we decided we didn't want to be together that way, just friends.
If you're honest, you would probably say that you still have a crush on her but she shot you down so you don't want to admit it. That's pretty obvious.

I don't really see anything wrong with your age difference since she's been of age for a while and you're not so old you're about to die. :) But if she's absolutely not going to be into you, the the best advice for you is that it's time to move on and find someone who will be into you. You're definitely not too old to find someone who will love you. It's probably just not going to be this particular young woman.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:
Aaannnnddd this is where I stopped reading.
Right! Don't ever mention giving someone a lock of your hair again. That's just freaky, unless you happen to be Time Magazine's Man of the Year and she is begging you for your hair. Obviously, that's not the case. ;)

el_koraco
June 7th, 2011, 08:08 PM

The dude would probably start thinking he can "turn her around"

Legendary_Bibo
June 7th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I believe that males and females can be friends, but in the case of best friends I would have to agree with you.

Yeah I could see it working as long as she were to be single.

In my experience the lesbian's girlfriend usually has a possessive tendency and doesn't let her hang out with anyone, but her.

odiseo77
June 7th, 2011, 08:09 PM
IMO, a locket might be to romantic/intimate. Maybe you can buy her one of these flat pocket mirrors women use to have in their purses? (I don't know the name in English). I've seen some of these mirrors with nice designs in the cover.

Legendary_Bibo
June 7th, 2011, 08:10 PM
The dude would probably start thinking he can "turn her around"

I was thinking of a completely different scenario the guy would try to achieve.

Elfy
June 7th, 2011, 08:26 PM
and I'm thinking that this has gone far enough.

Closed.